Guest wizard

Bob Dylan

The Committee obviously didn't see my poems in Crap Poetry Corner.

Passed over again, sigh...

I'd rather you won over Dylan, being honest.

• Like 3

1b01_34177_large_19881.jpg

1b01_34177_large_19881.jpg

Exactly this song popped into my mind when I heard about the Nobel Prize.

Quite an unconventional laureate; I wonder whether this is just a one-off thing or the beginning of an era? (If the latter, Leonard Cohen could be the second guy to be honoured for song lyrics, although they better hurry since he's at the end of his journey now.)

A serious question to those who know more than me on these matters

Has any previous Nobel Literature laureate written a book as impenetrably bad as Tarantula?

(as I recall it the book only got written because someone asked Dylan if he wrote books, he casually said yes and when a serious cash offer appeared him and his manager decided it a good idea to give the whole thing a bit of a bash)

I tried and failed to finish it during my student days (and f**k knows, I've stuck with some stinkers including Morrissey's novel)

Let's assume for the sake of this argument that Finnegan's Wake is a deliberate joke and JJ knew full well what he was doing so it's got artistry of a sort, even if the plot's a total mystery.

• Like 1

Has any previous Nobel Literature laureate written a book as impenetrably bad as Tarantula?

Across the River and into the Trees

Didn't Dario Fo that died today get the same prize in the 90's?

Dylan might have the same longevity.

Well done to the old bugger!

(as I recall it the book only got written because someone asked Dylan if he wrote books, he casually said yes and when a serious cash offer appeared him and his manager decided it a good idea to give the whole thing a bit of a bash)

I tried and failed to finish it during my student days (and f**k knows, I've stuck with some stinkers including Morrissey's novel)

Let's assume for the sake of this argument that Finnegan's Wake is a deliberate joke and JJ knew full well what he was doing so it's got artistry of a sort, even if the plot's a total mystery.

I've read Tarantula - in fact I think you suggested it to me about a decade ago, when I posted that I'd just waded through one of Leonard Cohen's books.

How the author of these words could end up winning the Nobel Prize beats me.

Didn't Dario Fo that died today get the same prize in the 90's?

Dylan might have the same longevity.

'97

• Like 1

I've read Tarantula - in fact I think you suggested it to me about a decade ago, when I posted that I'd just waded through one of Leonard Cohen's books.

How the author if the words could end up winning the Nobel Prize beats me.

He won it for Wiggle Wiggle.
  • Like 1

Good on him. I did lose interest in his music after Blood on the Tracks. Time Out of Mind was OK but I can't be doing with the xmas/Sinatra covers. On the other hand I will get Cohen's latest offering.

That Xmas offering was brilliant......

The Physiology or Medicine Nobel should've been given to my Dylan-relevant DDP pick Bruce Langhorne for creating a hot sauce that can be enjoyed by people with diet-restricting health issues. I don't see why not if Dylan's songwriting can get him the Lit Nobel. :ninja:

How the author if the words could end up winning the Nobel Prize beats me.

He won it for Wiggle Wiggle.

Wiggle Wiggle is clever/funny if you assume it's ironic in the manner of his claim to be a song and dance man

Tarantula is just plain weird in a generally pointless sort of way

If my thought dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine....

So, about that prize

I've seen no posts here suggesting another candidate for the Nobel Literature laureate who's written the worst book and for those who think Dylan's published novel can't be that bad, here's a link:

http://members.chello.nl/a.rietbergenvisser62/bobdylan-tarantula.pdf

• Like 2

It is unknown if Bob Dylan will actually accept his prize or not, or if he even knows he won: https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/posts/10154028571197217

He knows he's won it. You're talking about someone who has built a reputation of being a cantankerous recluse.

So, about that prize

I've seen no posts here suggesting another candidate for the Nobel Literature laureate who's written the worst book and for those who think Dylan's published novel can't be that bad, here's a link:

http://members.chello.nl/a.rietbergenvisser62/bobdylan-tarantula.pdf

I might set myself the challenge of reading Tarantula again, but this time doing it while simultaneously listening to Metal Machine Music through earphones, occasionally glancing up to see how Exeter City are limbo dancing beneath the lowest of expectations as they lose yet again and spiral towards another spell of non league oblivion. What a cracking way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

It is unknown if Bob Dylan will actually accept his prize or not, or if he even knows he won: https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/posts/10154028571197217

He knows he's won it. You're talking about someone who has built a reputation of being a cantankerous recluse.

Aye, it's about time he joined us innit?

• Like 4