maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2009

We're one death away from a winning score for Eejit or Raskolnikov and both pack some low hangers in their lists of survivors, so don't bet against the tidy ending within the remainder of the month. Susan Atkins would do.

Then again, it may well be March before the reconstituted Deathrace could start.

I hate the constant references to "low hanging fruit" :unsure:

In this 'game' are we supposed to win by choosing people who are not likely to die?

Indeed Eejit, you may have summat there. As one much abused for reaching for those about to fall I understand the predicament well. Apologies if I inadvertantly offended yers.

'twould be hard to offend a member of a deadpool forum I would hope. It's not you - it's the others :unsure:

Some people really have a bee in their bonnet about picking "the world's oldest man" for instance. I admire their stance as I look down at them in 73rd place.

People have different ways of playing the game. I, for one, pick people out of a hat or throw darts at their names and than cut my team loose in the next contest. I am willing to let my method (pure chance) stand against the methods of others (intense research, etc...) without complaint.

I always kind of felt that people who complain about other's choices, whether they be age related or famous for being ill or whatever, either need to start their own pool or just let their methods stand against everyone else on their own.

Or, maybe, I'm just not interested in winning as much as I'm interested in seeing how well chance plays out. Who knows? :rolleyes:

You could just keep it going all year and have an overall winner and have a winner for each month as well, based on who accrued the most points in any given month using whatever point scoring system you feel like.

Just a suggestion, like.

How about abandoning the points system and turning the sprint in to a marathon by keeping the game going? The winner will be the first team to lose every single one of their picks.

My whole concept of this was a sprint, but, just an idea like, I'll happily pass this over once someone hits 2009 points and this thread could become our research and development area. In fact, I'll volunteer now to pick up Deathrace 2010 next year, because I'm not sure whether the excitement of the early deaths this year is a one-off.

So, maybe we should line up the future manager(s) of this deadpool and decide on how it develops. Personally, I think roadtesting the monthly model might be a good move next. But if anyone else wants to throw in a suggestion and offer to take it over for any reason, that would be welcome. By default we could end the year with a 'most dead on one team' result.

Obviously, nobody's consulted the admin people on this, and originally I promised to shut the thread when we had a winner. But I'm guessing those problems are solvable.

Don't mind "The Management" - this by the people - for the people.

We're about half an hour short of February so it looks like we're gannin' into another month. The Swayze news suggests we'll have a winner in weeks at the outside. Of course, there are others - like Atkins - who could go at any time and bring proceedings to a sudden halt. Swayze is a hugely popular pick and would tip Raskolnikov and Eejit well over the line, but note the movement further down the pack, OoO with some deft picks on his list, now moving up into four figures. If the rumoured 'inside track' on his desperately ill joker was as good as some suspect things could get very interesting.

It ain't over till the Dirty Dancer croaks, or summat.

RESULT!!!

Raskolnikov takes it as Paul Birch leaves the game and heads down the final tunnel. It's taken 33 days and a dozen deaths, 21 of the 26 teams have joined the point scoring action. Told yers it would be a sprint.

Congratulations to Raskolnikov, who probably feels ever so slightly smug for joining the DL this year and showing a few of us with a longer pedigree how to do the job properly. So Raskie my boy, are you partaking of a pint at the next DLcon or do you wanna PM me your postal address where you can choose between a book about Carlisle United or my useless £10 Zavvi voucher, or you might want to angle for summat else by way of a small token of your achievement?

Thanks to everyone who played.

I'm assuming the same thing to start the year off in 2010 might go well.

At this point if Carolanne wants to start the monthly deadpool off......counting in Paul Birch, I'm happy to pass over the reins. Or summat.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I\'M NEVER COMING ON THIS STINKING SITE AGAIN.

A strong person might say \"congratulations Raskolnikov, you played a great game\", but not me. No, I\'m weak. Weak and bitter. Weak, bitter and odorous. Weak, bitter, odorous and full of hate. 1228_sad_person_crying.gif

A strong person might say \"congratulations Raskolnikov, you played a great game\", but not me. No, I\'m weak. Weak and bitter. Weak, bitter and odorous. Weak, bitter, odorous and full of hate. 1228_sad_person_crying.gif

Eejit man, you played a blinder. I'll still stand you a pint if you come to DLcon III, okay?

You've done alright. I was barely out of the blocks! This new chap's doing well isn't he?

51 points in the DDP and it's only February 2nd. We might have a new favourite here...

You've done alright. I was barely out of the blocks! This new chap's doing well isn't he?

51 points in the DDP and it's only February 2nd. We might have a new favourite here...

Dont worry....I have him in my sights.... :unsure:

RESULT!!!

Raskolnikov takes it as Paul Birch leaves the game and heads down the final tunnel. It's taken 33 days and a dozen deaths, 21 of the 26 teams have joined the point scoring action. Told yers it would be a sprint.

Congratulations to Raskolnikov, who probably feels ever so slightly smug for joining the DL this year and showing a few of us with a longer pedigree how to do the job properly. So Raskie my boy, are you partaking of a pint at the next DLcon or do you wanna PM me your postal address where you can choose between a book about Carlisle United or my useless £10 Zavvi voucher, or you might want to angle for summat else by way of a small token of your achievement?

At this point if Carolanne wants to start the monthly deadpool off......counting in Paul Birch, I'm happy to pass over the reins. Or summat.

Thank f**k for that!!!!! Can we close this thread now?

That was always my intention at the start HCW but there's been interest in running a monthly deadpool etc etc, so presumably we'll see a similar one opened if we close this.

I've enjoyed it.

I want more.

Not sure how to proceed though. Should one compettiion run all year? Obviously the points awarded are dropping off all the time so the guy with 20 hits in Dec is going to be peeved.

Not only will this thread not go away I suggest a brand new thread to discuss the various options on how to keep this going :unsure:

I've enjoyed it.

I want more.

Not sure how to proceed though. Should one compettiion run all year? Obviously the points awarded are dropping off all the time so the guy with 20 hits in Dec is going to be peeved.

Not only will this thread not go away I suggest a brand new thread to discuss the various options on how to keep this going :unsure:

Given that the main goal (2009) points has been awarded, why not ditch the old points system and simply award say 200 points (double for Joker) per death until the end of the year?

(The reason for 200 points per death is to allow for at least some degree of competition for teams who have yet to score, but still giving those who have scored (under the old rules) some reward.

Of course, it is up to CarolAnn if, indeed, she will be taking over.

I'm mindful of HCW's lack of enthusiasm. I was pretty damn cheeky to start a deadpool on someone else's patch. However, I'm also mindful of the creativity and enthusiasm that has appeared hereabours.

We could - like - run it as I suggested as the research and development area of DL. I think the most obvious follow on from the 2009 point sprint would be the one month competition, awarding ten points per day of the month remaining. So - for example - anyone picking Paul Birch for February gets 260 points cos he died on day 2 of a 28 day month.

If CarolAnne is up for running that we could get stuck in. If the admins think it's too much, they'll delete the thread. If they don't delete it, the onus would be on someone else to come up with a riveting idea for a different deadpooling concept so's we get more variety after running a monthly pool. For example, a simple pool scoring one point per death in any given month, would probably keep the competition keen.

That sounds like the best variation to me so far MPFC.

RESULT!!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to post my victory speech. I'd like to be able to say I've spent the last two days in a euphoric haze, celebrating my win by going on a bender that Oliver Reed would have been proud of, but the sad truth is I spent most of Monday failing to escape from Kent, and most of yesterday and today at work.

Thankyou MPFC for organising the Deathrace. I am truly humbled to be its inaugural champion. I'll take a rain check on that Carlisle United book, but were you to conjure up some sort of cheap, tacky trophy/ornament, of the variety that wouldn't look out of place in Pound Land (and possibly with the face of Sly Stallone himself on it) then you might be onto a winner.

Thankyou also to eejit for providing such stiff opposition, and for ensuring that the vindictive, bitter attitude that I tend to display following defeat was not lost to these pages. :)

RESULT!!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to post my victory speech. I'd like to be able to say I've spent the last two days in a euphoric haze, celebrating my win by going on a bender that Oliver Reed would have been proud of, but the sad truth is I spent most of Monday failing to escape from Kent, and most of yesterday and today at work.

Thankyou MPFC for organising the Deathrace. I am truly humbled to be its inaugural champion. I'll take a rain check on that Carlisle United book, but were you to conjure up some sort of cheap, tacky trophy/ornament, of the variety that wouldn't look out of place in Pound Land (and possibly with the face of Sly Stallone himself on it) then you might be onto a winner.

Thankyou also to eejit for providing such stiff opposition, and for ensuring that the vindictive, bitter attitude that I tend to display following defeat was not lost to these pages. :)

Save it for DDP, when The Living End nicks it again... ;)

I spent most of Monday failing to escape from Kent,

You only had to ask, I'd happily have smuggled you out of the county when they shut the place I was working in at 11-00. Southern softies, or summat.

'twas a pleasure surely.

Well done.

meh.