themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

As its the day of the first session of the world snooker final, what better day to remember Ted Lowe, who died on the morning of the first session of the world snooker final 5 years ago today.

Ted-Lowe-007.jpg

Oh my entry is basically a nobody I admit, but since we are talking about men with unbending wooden sticks in their hands, I offer up silver medal winning pole vaulter and one time world record holder (@ 12' 4-7/8") LeRoy Samse - 60 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeRoy_Samse

• Like 2

Oh my entry is basically a nobody I admit, but since we are talking about men with unbending wooden sticks in their hands, I offer up silver medal winning pole vaulter and one time world record holder (@ 12' 4-7/8") LeRoy Samse - 60 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeRoy_Samse

I think you'll find that the poles do bend. Quite a lot.

300px-Pole_Vault_Sequence_3.jpg

Oh my entry is basically a nobody I admit, but since we are talking about men with unbending wooden sticks in their hands, I offer up silver medal winning pole vaulter and one time world record holder (@ 12' 4-7/8") LeRoy Samse - 60 years ago.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeRoy_Samse

I think you'll find that the poles do bend. Quite a lot.

300px-Pole_Vault_Sequence_3.jpg

Thanks for that, Toast. Now go read the link I provided about the pole vaulter what was in the 1904 Olympics when they used wooden sticks.

SC

• Like 1

Five years ago, Operation Neptune Spear got President Obama a much needed hit on his death list, taking out Osama Bin Laden aged 54.

osama-bin-laden.jpg

55 years ago Maurice Merleau Pony aged 53 would perceive no more.

220px-Maurice_Merleau-Ponty.jpg

Its been 12 years since Anthony Ainley died age 71. The Dr. couldn't save him.

08.jpg

May 3 2016:

We shan't forget the brave leaders of the Irish Rebellion (Rising) who were executed 100 years ago today. Heroes they're all!

Tom Clarke

Patrick Pearse

Thomas MacDonagh

https://youtu.be/sR8gi_gWy4M

• Like 1

Jackie Cooper - 5 years

Jackie Cooper - 5 years

I confused him with Jackie Coogan (died 1984) and I was about to call you out on it.

545 years ago Edward of Westminster, Prince of Wales, at the age of 17 became the only heir apparent to die in battle - but there's still time...

220px-Edward_of_Westminster.jpg

• Like 1

The Beastie Boys MCA died 4 years ago

adam-yauch-mca-day-brooklyn-recap-lead.j

May 3 2016:

We shan't forget the brave leaders of the Irish Rebellion (Rising) who were executed 100 years ago today. Heroes they're all!

Tom Clarke

Patrick Pearse

Thomas MacDonagh

And today (May 4) we remember the rest of the executed Irish heroes 100 years ago:

Ned Daly

Joseph Plunkett

Willie Pearse

• Like 1

It was 'not tonight, or any night thereafter Josephine' for Napoleon Boneparte this day 195 years ago, after he died aged 51.

napoleon-bonaparte.jpg

• Like 1

25 years ago today, British actor Wilfrid Hyde-White, best known for playing Colonel Pickering in "My Fair Lady", died at the age of 87.

e64uaz8pf04cau8e.jpg?djet1p5k

• Like 1

Stop believing in miracles, Errol Brown is still dead one year on, aged 71.

main_home.jpg

25 years ago today, British actor Wilfrid Hyde-White, best known for playing Colonel Pickering in "My Fair Lady", died at the age of 87.

Funny, I received about 5 boxes of old VHS tapes from a friend, seeing as I appear to be the only lad with a player still, and I went through them last night and pulled maybe 20 I was interested I seeing and one was My Fair Lady. Twenty-five years you say...jeesh!

SC

Seve Ballesteros holed out for good, five years ago today aged 54.

seve-ballesteros.jpg

25 years since the death of Ronnie Brody aged 72. He was a ubiquitous British comedy actor appearing with such diverse leads as Benny Hill and Spike Milligan. The latter including him in the classic film the Bed Sitting Room.

ronniebrody.jpg

133 years ago today, John Stuart Mill, of his own free will, (no shandy involved) was particularly ill.

3-kathy-psomiades.jpg

• Like 1

First instance I can remember of thinking "I thought he died years ago", when reading the news of a celebrity passing...

133 years ago today, John Stuart Mill, of his own free will, (no shandy involved) was particularly ill.

3-kathy-psomiades.jpg

You're gonna get a like on your next post for this one because it deserves two. :lol:

• Like 1

3-kathy-psomiades.jpg

You're gonna get a like on your next post for this one because it deserves two. :lol:

Thanks (in advance) for that! *gets busy checking other philosophers death anniversary dates*

• Like 1

30 years since Tenzing Norgay was permanently past his peak aged 71.

tenzing-norgay.jpg

George Curzon, actor, Naval Commander and father of Geoffrey Howe, died this day 40 years ago aged 77.

George_Curzon_actor.jpg

Hey, and I just reached twunt!

• Like 6