Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2010

Deathracers  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

;) I can only apologise for the lack of action, 19 days in and - so far as I can see - one hit from the masterlist, and that hit a unique pick in our little pool.

Surely it's gonna get lively soon.

Right peoples, we have a dilemma.

Technically speaking Raymond Hewlett doesn't count for points because of the rule stating all candidates must be alive on 1 Jan. On the other hand the point of that rule is really to give me an easy time sorting out the masterlist, and avoid people nominating those dying in the final days of a year to snag 365 points from the off, so no arguments about Cahal Daly this year.

It strikes me that everyone entered Hewlett on their teams in good faith and some of those doing so have no nominated subs, meaning they could now take advantage of information about famous people that was not available in late December.

5 of the 11 teams have included Hewlett, including both my team and Paul the Postie's leading team. Given the lack of excitement on the 'fastest deadpool in the west' I'm minded to allow Hewlett - who has already garnered national press coverage online and qualified for points. But - hey - this is a dilemma and I'd like opinions.

If you're that bothered, speak up. I think we have three options:

1 - Allow him and award 365 points to five teams. (MY FAVOURED OPTION)

2 - Allow him and award points from the day we knew he was dead, giving 265 points to five teams.

3 - Disallow him and draft a sub onto five teams.

In the event that nobody gives a s*** expect option 1 to be adopted within 48 hours.

Given that I have no team in this pool, and therefore no real interest in striking down competition, I will offer my impartial opinion. :)

I think that you should withhold the points at this time.

If a date is provided, and shows that he did indeed die in 2010, then by all means award the points at the later date.

Until such time as a solid date is provided, no points should be awarded. It is the case that all teams put him in their teams in 'good faith', but that shouldn't really matter. These teams have fallen fowl of the rules by putting forward a candidate for a celebrity dead pool who was not a celebrity.

You may now proceed in tearing my argument to shreds. :)

You may now proceed in tearing my argument to shreds.

Well, since you offered Windsor.

A quick perusal of the rules would make it clear the aim of this deadpool is to be swift and, erm, deadly. This ISN'T strictly a celebrity deadpool and fleeting mentions in online news sources will suffice for points, so we set a precedent last year for awarding points where DDP rules didn't do the same.

Appreciate the impartial opinion, mind. But how do we now get round the teams without a sub simply nominating a gravely ill person who'll die this week?

Appreciate the impartial opinion, mind. But how do we now get round the teams without a sub simply nominating a gravely ill person who'll die this week?

Indeed, those who chose Hewlett are now at a disadvantage, but thus are the pitfalls of competative deadpooling. :)

Personally, I wouldn't enact the subs at all. Just a bit of bad luck. I'm sure that the teams will get over it. :)

2 - Allow him and award points from the day we knew he was dead, giving 265 points to five teams.

If a date is provided, and shows that he did indeed die in 2010, then by all means award the points at the later date.

Until such time as a solid date is provided, no points should be awarded. It is the case that all teams put him in their teams in 'good faith', but that shouldn't really matter. These teams have fallen fowl of the rules by putting forward a candidate for a celebrity dead pool who was not a celebrity.

Well, since you offered Windsor.

A quick perusal of the rules would make it clear the aim of this deadpool is to be swift and, erm, deadly. This ISN'T strictly a celebrity deadpool and fleeting mentions in online news sources will suffice for points, so we set a precedent last year for awarding points where DDP rules didn't do the same.

Indeed, those who chose Hewlett are now at a disadvantage, but thus are the pitfalls of competative deadpooling. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't enact the subs at all. Just a bit of bad luck. I'm sure that the teams will get over it. :)

I'm with Windsor here. Of course, I'm not impartial, even though my chances of a win are remote either way[1].

I appreciate that disallowing the late Mr Hewlett, on grounds of a litteral interpretation of the rules alone, hints of droid nature, something I hate. On the other hand, one may ask whether this case, while there's doubt about when he exactly died, is reason enough to bend the rules.

[1] BTW, please excuse the newbie question, I can't be arsed to search the board: what happens if during the year no team reaches 2010 points?

regards,

Hein

I vote for whichever option keeps me in the top three ;-)

1] BTW, please excuse the newbie question, I can't be arsed to search the board: what happens if during the year no team reaches 2010 points?

That's not been considered a serious possibility thus far, and I feel sure the jokers, the certain deaths of Al Megrahi, Biggs and Hopper etc will make sure we have a winner this year.

Should nobody hit the magic 2010 my magnanimity would still pay out to the highest scorer, or summat.

Right peoples, we have a dilemma.

Technically speaking Raymond Hewlett doesn't count for points because of the rule stating all candidates must be alive on 1 Jan. On the other hand the point of that rule is really to give me an easy time sorting out the masterlist, and avoid people nominating those dying in the final days of a year to snag 365 points from the off, so no arguments about Cahal Daly this year.

It strikes me that everyone entered Hewlett on their teams in good faith and some of those doing so have no nominated subs, meaning they could now take advantage of information about famous people that was not available in late December.

5 of the 11 teams have included Hewlett, including both my team and Paul the Postie's leading team. Given the lack of excitement on the 'fastest deadpool in the west' I'm minded to allow Hewlett - who has already garnered national press coverage online and qualified for points. But - hey - this is a dilemma and I'd like opinions.

In the event that nobody gives a s*** expect option 1 to be adopted within 48 hours.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but if technically he doesn't count for points, why is there any debate?

No nominated subs? Tough titty. The option was there. If you didn't use it, then too bad.

Having said that, its your show, do you what you feel is right (on condition that I can swap Marguerite Patten for Casey Johnson :) )

Given that I have no team in this pool, and therefore no real interest in striking down competition, I will offer my impartial opinion. :)

As one of the teams that stands to lose points, I completely agree with W, except for his use of the word "fowl".

Ditto, all the above.

Well said Windy.

Alright peoples, I hear ya, my customers are always right etc. Hewlett's lonely and lowly demise is an act of God so far as we are concerned, no points, no subs and Lardy stays on the podium.

Unless of course, we find out that he made it to the starting line.

These teams have fallen fowl of the rules by putting forward a candidate for a celebrity dead pool who was not a celebrity.

:) I thought you were taking the moral high ground until I checked out your team....

Alright peoples, I hear ya, my customers are always right etc. Hewlett's lonely and lowly demise is an act of God so far as we are concerned, no points, no subs and Lardy stays on the podium.

Woop woop! You know it makes sense, Rodney :)

These teams have fallen fowl of the rules by putting forward a candidate for a celebrity dead pool who was not a celebrity.

:) I thought you were taking the moral high ground until I checked out your team....

There is no moral high ground in competative deadpooling.

Its a cut-throat business. :)

There is no moral high ground in competative deadpooling.

Its a cut-throat business. :)

I suppose it's like

regards,

Hein

I'm hauling this back to the top for two reasons:

1 - So's anyone with a vested interest can check the scoreboard and claim any points I may have missed.

2 - Because someone (i.e. me), has finally stumbled past the half way mark to a winning total.

My humble apologies for leading my own deadpool (in the event I win the generous prize will go to the runner up), my apologies also for the lack of significant scoring on this slow slow year for spectacular death. Not one joker has fallen in the Deathrace.

I think my Manute Bol points are still not credited.

Can I have my Ronald Neame points please?

Of course you can have your points. Sorted now, along with some upward mobility for both of you on the scoreboard. If only someone could sort a wave of celebrity death.......

July beckons in a few hours and not one single Deathrace joker has been cashed.

So, bearing that in mind, please note the nifty new Deathrace poll to add some excitement to the race. A serious question, will the picks have the last laugh by denying anyone a winning total of points?

MPFC, you've really got to change the subtitle of this thread.

MPFC, you've really got to change the subtitle of this thread.

Looks like it's been done, I'd have gone for: 'The fastest deadpool in the west, or summat.'

Back from Budapest early this morning. Just went over the masterlist and can't see an obvious addition to the trail of dead at the top, or am I missing summat?

Two thirds of the way through Fignon is the first joker to fall, Geromino benefits by shooting up to the podium.