Phantom

Your Least Impressive Celebrity Encounters

I met Terry Waite at Waterloo station a few years ago, he was helping out for a campaign for asthma awareness

Terry meets Julie Waterloo Station every Friday night...

Now that is very Kinksy!

I adore the Kinks. Saw Ray Davies live last summer and he was amazing. No interesting stories to tell though

I adore the Kinks. Saw Ray Davies live last summer and he was amazing. No interesting stories to tell though

I worked with the drummer for a year or so.

I worked with the drummer for a year or so.

Really? Cool any gossip?

my local pub is where the Kinks played their first ever public gig. Apparently they visit occasionally but I have never seen them.

There was the time I went to see who was at the front door and it was David Dimbleby.

He had come to apologise for being disorganised!

I once worked in a place wehre Edward Asner and Walter Cronkite had been.

Guest Guest

I too saw the Kinks, at the Brentwood Leisure centre in the early 90s. Will we be going to see The Artic Monkeys 30 years from now? Nah!!

My only claim to fame, that i can recall, is being called out to fix the phone line for one Suzi Quattro. Having gone into her home i entered her office which was festooned with Gold Discs.This suprised me somewhat because i was sure she had fewer hits than the quantity of discs displayed.

However my greatest joy in meeting Ms Quatttro was knowing that i was standing in close proximity to someone who had worked with one of THE legends of 1970s television....................The FONZ!!!!!!!!

Due to the nature of my job I speak to quite a lot of famous people every so often. These include: David Mellor, Roy Hattersley (chatted about ferrets with him), Vanessa Feltz, AA Gill, Melvyn Bragg, Nasser Hussain, Richard Hammond, William Rees-Mogg, Tam Dalyell, Menzies Campbell, Imran Khan (after a long and thoughtful article on Pakistan's madrasses I said: "Never mind all that, how do you think England will do in the Ashes?"), Eamon Holmes, Clement Freud, Lucien Freud, Dom Joly (twat), Jane Moore, Rosie Millard, Clive Everton, James Whale and probably a few more that I can't remember off hand.

I used to work at a certain local TV company oop North and so saw and worked with people like Richard Whiteley, Carol Vorderman, Christa Ackroyd, Mike Morris, Gaynor Barnes, Vicky Locklin and Christine Talbot on a regular basis. Also used to bump into people there quite a lot like Tim Rice (lovely), Clive Mantle, Steve Harley, Anna Raeburn, Nicky Clarke, Trevor Sorbie, Little Jimmy Osmond and big brother Donny (the place went mad that day) and worked very closely with Anna Walker and Diane Modahl on webchats I organised.

I also occasionally worked on Emmerdale and so knew most of the cast, particularly Anthony Lewis (Marc Reynolds) and Dominic Brunt (Paddy). Dom once gave me a ride on his motorbike - going 100mph on Burley Road hanging off the end of a bike was a bit scary to say the least! Oh, and I've met the Emmerdale Daz dogs and cuddled tragic Batley.

In previous jobs I've spoken to David Batty about squeaky floorboards, Julianne Regan (All About Eve singer) and Ingrid Lacey (Helen from Drop The Dead Donkey) about mortgages and you know that QC who's been doing those massive divorce settlement cases recently (most notably the Ray Parlour one)? I did his mortgage for him.

Several very minor claims to fame but I will start out with the most obvious ones which is that a relative from my Dad's side of the family is one of the longest satnding members of the cast of Coronaion Street.

He is in excellent healthby the way.

Last night I directed logistics for UCSD's Rock N' Roosevelt concert. Aside from full backstage privelleges, I also got to meet and hang out with the bands Rooney and the Moving Units. They're not all that famous at the moment, but should they ever make it big enough to be heard of in the UK, hopefully this will be more exciting news.

A guy called Jesus used to live in the flat downstairs. I never got a chance to speak to him, but I often wondered...

A guy called Jesus used to live in the flat downstairs. I never got a chance to speak to him, but I often wondered...

Did you ever find out if he could feed the masses? Turn water into wine? Quite convenient for, say, a wedding.

regards,

Hein

i once almost ate lunch with marion zimmer bradley.

i knocked down the fence of a presidential canidate. (long story, suffice it to say i am a very BAD driver, knocking down fences a specialty.)

i had my picture taken with arlo guthrie.

hank williams, jr. broke my arm. ( a long time ago, at a concert my dad played. he tossed out his harmonic & it landed next to me. i thought "a free harmonica" and reached for it, when 38 teen-age girls jumped on my arm, breaking it. and they got the harmonica)

i don't know if this counts, but my ex gave johnny depp a speeding ticket.

:)

and of course, i met johnny winter when i was 5 and he was about 16-17. he played my cousin's bar in louisianna. us kids went down when they set up so we could drink soda-pop and sit on the bar stools and spin til we threw up.

:evil: ah, the good old days!

I know I'm a bit late on this one, but I just read the thread and wanted everyone to know my claim to fame.

I kicked Jasper Carrot in the head. (Unfortunately, it was an accident. Had I known his head would be coming into contact with my foot, I would definitely have kicked much harder.) I was sitting on a wall in the centre of Birmingham waiting for the Christmas lights to be switched on or something. I was swinging my legs and then BAM! He didn't say anything though. Good job really. The man bores me to death.

( For those of you who do not know of Jasper Carrot; keep it that way!!!!)

I once shook hands with the Duchess of Kent. Or it may have been Princess Michael, I can't remember.

And the chap who played Sneddon in "Take the High Road" once threatened to kick my head in. He didn't do it though.

I met the 80's band Modern Romance, and Rod Hull & Emu and Tommy Boyd (?) when I was an audience member on The Saturday Show, about a million years ago. Impressed? :huh:

How about this then, I met the rock bands Cinderella and Slaughter when my sister won back stage passes. Impressed yet?? :blink::huh:

Ok, I met Dan Reed of Dan Reed Network, David Bryan of Bon Jovi and I once saw Ruth Maddox in an Athena store. :ghost:

That's about it I'm afraid. I've got an uncle called James Bond though. ;)

New developments on the "Claim to Fame" front, although they'll probably mean nothing to anyone except for ie+. Apparentely, the goalie for the latest Stanley Cup-winning team, Mr. Cam Ward, decided to meander on over to our offices today on business, so I got to meet him in a very professional way.

This of course, came after a news crew came over about an unrelated matter. I believe there was a "DLers on TV" thread somewhere but, if not, I may be quoted on the Edmonton Global News... something along the lines of "he's not available for comment."

15 minutes of fame, hell yeah! :skull:

New developments on the "Claim to Fame" front, although they'll probably mean nothing to anyone except for ie+. Apparentely, the goalie for the latest Stanley Cup-winning team, Mr. Cam Ward, decided to meander on over to our offices today on business, so I got to meet him in a very professional way.

Very impressive! Did you get his autograph?

Further visits from Mr Ward could be put to use in terms of getting insight into the world of dying hockey players.

Very impressive! Did you get his autograph?

Further visits from Mr Ward could be put to use in terms of getting insight into the world of dying hockey players.

Unfortunately, I had to act professionally, so no, no autograph this time, and I'm not sure when he'll be coming back.

I've had horrid bad luck with getting autographs - missed Bronson, Rooney, Moving Units and now Ward. If I wasn't a good story teller (in person), I'd be screwed.

I know I'm a bit late on this one, but I just read the thread and wanted everyone to know my claim to fame.

I kicked Jasper Carrot in the head. (Unfortunately, it was an accident. Had I known his head would be coming into contact with my foot, I would definitely have kicked much harder.) I was sitting on a wall in the centre of Birmingham waiting for the Christmas lights to be switched on or something. I was swinging my legs and then BAM! He didn't say anything though. Good job really. The man bores me to death.

( For those of you who do not know of Jasper Carrot; keep it that way!!!!)

I once had a beer with Jasper Carrot, he was staying at The Regent's Palace hotel in London while he was appearing at the Dominican Theatre back in 1990. Nice bloke, although he tends to use the same material he's been using since the mid 70s

I walked by Sir Simon Rattle in the corridor last week.

I nodded hello, he didn't say anything.

Which is probably preferable to "Oh F**k, nae you!"

I walked by Sir Simon Rattle in the corridor last week.

I nodded hello, he didn't say anything.

Which is probably preferable to "Oh F**k, nae you!"

I'm such a philistine I'd never heard of this bloke so Googled him.

It's probably an old, droll observation amongst cultured types, but Rattle is a ridiculously great name for a top conductor, isn't it?

Sorry, I'll get back to my lager and pork scratchings...