Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobC

Constructive and Helpful Visitors, politely post your considered opinions here if you must

Guest RobC

I am not going to rage but rather make maybe the obvious comment that your methodology seems a little flawed. 36 out of your 50 in the 2012 death list are 85 or over. Now while James May described 85 as the age the human body falls off its perch it has to be said a success rate of just 4 out of 36 ain't that great ( and yes I realise it is possible things may turn round in the remaining 5 months of the year). By contrast people in the 60 - 70 bracket have been dropping like flies. The first three successes on the list were all younger and very recently we have had the sad deaths of Mary Tamm, Angharad Rees Sally Ride, David Barby, Jon Lord, Geoffrey Hughes and Simon Ward all household names or faces. I suspect that if you manage to survive to a great age there's a fair chance your strong constitution will see you through another year. The problem is celebs especially actors people can be secretive about their health and their deaths are consequently a shock. Mary and Angharad for example had been ill for some time but few people were aware. Jon Lord though had announced his pancreatic cancer a year ago so could usefully have been flagged up on the site.

The post above isn't irate, it's constructive. So...do we need a thread called; Constructive and Helpful Visitors, politely post your considered opinions here if you must!

Edited by Magere Hein
Done.

Cheers Hein. I'm guessing this thread will charm out the PhD students, well-meaning liberals and any whales or dolphins that happen by our lively little forum.

• Like 2

Don't forget the "methodology" involves having people we want on the list - hence Clive Dunn when it is obvious he's not going soon, if ever.

Don't forget the "methodology" involves having people we want on the list - hence Clive Dunn when it is obvious he's not going soon, if ever.

Not forgetting 'the will of the people' and that is why Mrs 'T' is right in the mix!

The Death List has always struck me more of a gentleman's pastime, compared to the professionalism of the Derby Dead Pool. The DL is CB Fry and the Old Etonians whereas The Living End et al are Alex James and Hughie Gallacher.

I'm not convinced Captain Obvious up there is constructive enough to warrant a new pinned thread....polite, though, I have to admit. Perhaps it's rarity factor justifies it.

I am not going to rage but rather make maybe the obvious comment that your methodology seems a little flawed. 36 out of your 50 in the 2012 death list are 85 or over. Now while James May described 85 as the age the human body falls off its perch it has to be said a success rate of just 4 out of 36 ain't that great ( and yes I realise it is possible things may turn round in the remaining 5 months of the year). By contrast people in the 60 - 70 bracket have been dropping like flies. The first three successes on the list were all younger and very recently we have had the sad deaths of Mary Tamm, Angharad Rees Sally Ride, David Barby, Jon Lord, Geoffrey Hughes and Simon Ward all household names or faces. I suspect that if you manage to survive to a great age there's a fair chance your strong constitution will see you through another year. The problem is celebs especially actors people can be secretive about their health and their deaths are consequently a shock. Mary and Angharad for example had been ill for some time but few people were aware. Jon Lord though had announced his pancreatic cancer a year ago so could usefully have been flagged up on the site.

I think there is something in this and I have been thinking about it myself. Is there an age at which your chances of survival actually impove in some form of statistic. Having said that there are a lot more people alive who are in the 60-70 age bracket.

Maybe we should send a question to More or Less on Radio 4.

I think there is something in this and I have been thinking about it myself. Is there an age at which your chances of survival actually impove in some form of statistic. Having said that there are a lot more people alive who are in the 60-70 age bracket.

Maybe we should send a question to More or Less on Radio 4.

I think i remember posting something about this on here,your chances of dying don't ever improve though when you get into your late 80s early 90s (I think that was the ages anyway can't remember off the top of my head) your chance of dying remains the same and doesn't increase . Many people who avoid cancer or heart problems/attack in there 50s or early 60s have a great chance of living into there 90s .

I'm not convinced Captain Obvious up there is constructive enough to warrant a new pinned thread....polite, though, I have to admit. Perhaps it's rarity factor justifies it.

You are all heart, arent you! :blink:

EDIT: Hey, CA, we have a virtual identical post count!

Does this mean we are a bit compatible or summat?

Can we share bodily fluids and, mebbee, lay back to, contentedly, puff on a ciggy afterwards?

Just wondering, like....

Can we share bodily fluids and, mebbee, lay back to, contentedly, puff on a ciggy afterwards?

Just wondering, like....

Can you reach?

Just wondering, like....

Can you reach?

I can reach a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way, baby!!!! :)

Oh dear LFN, with my ipad settings as they are, that shows up as not quite 3 inches at the moment...

• Like 1

Oh dear LFN, with my ipad settings as they are, that shows up as not quite 3 inches at the moment...

:lol:

Thats made me chuckle!

Fear not fella, Im hung like a chinese hamster anyway, If im to get beyond the magic 3 inches id need to hang an Elephant off the end of it and hope it was stretchable or summat.

Yours "lowering the tone again"

LFN

Chinese hamster? What? You mean it's very furry?

Anyway length don't come into it. Mine went all the way to Amsterdam and back, still without any action...

• Like 1

Women are lousy at estimating distance because we have always been told thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis is eight inches.

• Like 1

As an observation, all three of you have very nearly the same number of posts, is there somthing I should know?

Best regards

Syd

As an observation, all three of you have very nearly the same number of posts, is there somthing I should know?

Best regards

Syd

Aye, there is.

We are fucking clever.

Regards

LFN.

Too clever, by half...

In fact some time ago I was told not to think at work because that was just too dangerous...

I can't be too clever. I'm American.

I'm just a persistent bitch.

Any chance the mods of the forum could reverse the order of a discussion thread so that the latest comments appear at the top rather than scrolling through stuff that is sometimes years old to read a couple of words??

Any chance the mods of the forum could reverse the order of a discussion thread so that the latest comments appear at the top rather than scrolling through stuff that is sometimes years old to read a couple of words??

??? The 'blue dot' to the left of the thread title will take you to the first unread post.........

I might be wrong, but I don't think guests will be able to post in this thread because it was started by a guest. (Don't ask, I just don't know how)

Edit. Signed out and in as a guest, I was right, guests cant post. Might close this thread down and unpin it.

Edited by Paul Bearer
Guest experiment attempt.