Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

2014 DDP Dumping Ground & Salvage Lot

With 10 minutes left to go... Heres a list of every person on my shortlist that I did not pick

Akkineni Nageswara Rao

Robert Mugabe

Ingvar Kamprad

Jimmy Hill

Árpád Pusztai

Alice Munro

Jacques Chirac

Michael Parkinson

David Prowse

Sue Landske

Clive James

Joe McGinniss

John McVie

Fred DeLuca

Sandy Jardine

Pat Rice

Randy Travis

Candye Kane

Lisa Brigden

Dean Bailey

Tito Vilanova

Joost van der Westhuizen

Helen Fawkes

Jen Arnold

Jenna Jameson

Ashley Kurpiel

Kate Granger

Julie Chang

Michael Schumacher

Fred DeLuca hospitalized.

Sam Kelly was not a pick on the 2014 DDP and there have been a number of other surprising omissions as well so I have put together a list of 20 people over 85 who weren't on the list.

I have held back some others who may feature on my 2015 team if they make it that far

1. George Weidenfeld
  2. Alan Gwynne-Jones
  3. Joy Wright
  4. Roy Mason
  5. William Lucas
  6. Peter Brook
  7. William MacPherson
  8. Sydney Lotterby
  9. Frank Finlay
  10. Leonard Fenton
  11. Emmanuelle Riva
  12. Richard Johnson
  13. John Habgood
  14. Rosemary Harris (actress)
  15. Babs Chinnery
  16. Teddie Chinnery
  17. Jeanette Charles
  18. Nicolas Roeg
  19. C W McCall
  20. James Ivory

Feel free to correct me if I have made a mistake.

and more controversially at the other end of the spectrum a list of 20 under 70's who I thought would generate more interest

1. Paris Jackson
  2. Rihanna
  3. Calum Best
  4. Jensen Button
  5. Johnny Vegas
  6. Chris Christie
  7. Pal Waaktaar
  8. Michael Stipe
  9. Charles Kennedy
  10. Duncan Norvelle
  11. Eric Bristow
  12. Angus Deayton
  13. Rowan Atkinson
  14. Mike Nolan
  15. Bill Drummond
  16. Steve Tyler
  17. Peter Green
  18. Radovan Karodzic
  19. Gareth Thomas
  20. Ray Davies

Paris Jackson is not an eligable selection. When she reaches 18, given that she has attempted suicide in the past it's likely she will probably be one of the most popular DDP choices for people under 30.

Paris Jackson is not an eligable selection. When she reaches 18, given that she has attempted suicide in the past it's likely she will probably be one of the most popular DDP choices for people under 30.

I did wonder about that I did set the rules of my works game to include her (turns 16 within the game year) but nobody took the bait. I would then replace her on that list with Daniel Radcliffe who has by his own admission enjoyed a lot of drink.

I am very sorry I can't resist it and with so little else happening I thought that as we approach the halfway point of the year we can look at who are off the radar.

I have done the easier ones of very old and the pre 70s where lifestyle tends to be a reasonable predictor but the 70-85 area is difficult often people have slipped out of the limelight but there are a lot of them left so I have just selected 20 in the 70-75 age range that are on my (very) wide radar but have not managed to make it on to this year's DDP.

1. George Benson
  2. Vince Cable
  3. Paul Michael Galzer
  4. Julio Iglesias
  5. Jaqueline Pearce
  6. Charles Saatchi
  7. Lech Walesa
  8. Joe Biden
  9. Peter Greenaway
  10. Tabo Mbeki
  11. Peter Tork
  12. Chubby Checker
  13. Placido Domingo
  14. Geoff Hurst
  15. Miriam Margolyes
  16. David Puttnam
  17. David Hope
  18. John Mahony
  19. Ronald Pickup
  20. Peter Stringfellow

Comments welcome.....

I have one more list covering 75-85 but no-one seems to care. Even though I have trawled all the way through the alphabetical lists to annotate my long list with all those who are not included in the DDP.

I sense your rejection and will return to the nerdlands from whence I came. :nerd:

I have one more list covering 75-85 but no-one seems to care. Even though I have trawled all the way through the alphabetical lists to annotate my long list with all those who are not included in the DDP.

I sense your rejection and will return to the nerdlands from whence I came. :nerd:

Oh go on, you might as well.

• Like 1

Isn't that where Hein comes from too?
  • Like 4

Guest marinade

Well, Felix Dennis joins Bob Hoksins and Casey Kasem on my regretted cut-off list. Meanwhile, nearly halfway through the year and I'm another with just one hit (Jaruzelski).

Oh go on, you might as well.

Hurrah (and proceed with puppy like enthusiasm to add my latest list)

1. Peter Hall
  2. Brian Sewell
  3. Mona Hammond
  4. Brian Walden
  5. Pik Botha
  6. Jean Boht
  7. Rex Williams
  8. Lance Percival
  9. Barbara Knox
  10. John Boorman
  11. David Bellamy
  12. Biddy Baxter
  13. Barbara Eden
  14. Leonard Cohen
  15. Roy Barraclough
  16. Dave Whelan
  17. Jackie Mason
  18. Ken Loach
  19. Bernie Clifton
  20. Alan Alda

I think I've seen at least two of those as "celebrity darts-throwing guests" on old early-80s repeats of Bullseye! (And guess what, I'd never heard of them before that)

Also I have already suggested Brian Sewell for 2015 in the "Ideas and possibilities" thread. He's another one of the small band of celebs who've gone on about the possibility taking a one-way trip to Switzerland (just like Michael Winner had done). Dunno if he's got anything particularly wrong with him like Winner did though.

Interesting pattern developing in this year's Drop Forty. There has not been a single hit in the Top 10 but half of the picks 11-20 have gone.

This could be bad news for Sam Simon, Olivia de Havilland, Nancy Reagan and Ian Paisley.

Some "probably won't obit" picks I've crossed out:

• Robert Genn - Canadian painter, the missus works in the arts department of a university and she'd never heard of him.
  • John Slim - not the minor royal, the Birmingham theatre critic. Big name in amdram apparently.

Both of these have dropped dead this year and not even come close to a UK obituary, so small mercies.

Ronnie Stonham, who has died aged 87, made my long-list of Ronnies but was omitted from my final 20 owing to lack of recent information about him and uncertainty about him getting the required obit as his 'moment of fame' was so long ago.

I should have dumped Ronnie Masterson instead.

On 01/01/2014 at 15:57, Spade_Cooley said:

Some of the other late drops from my team that haven't been mentioned so far.

Eileen Davies, mother of post-emocore kiddyfiddler Ian Watkins, has some significant health issues with her kidney or something.

Anna Hazare, Indian social activist who is actually a guy with a stupid name. Generic "ill-health" rumours swimming around.

That guy who got married while in hospital over Christmas and Sharon Osbourne gave him some money. This year's Jo Bryant, surely?

Anna Hazare hospitalised again.