Spade_Cooley

Deadpool Detective Work

12 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Still bloody shit, sadly. As @Gisooo said, the Ryerson Index is the best bet but we need to know her married name first.

I had a thought to put her maiden name through the Australian news records (non-paywalled) to see if anything came up. And I found this:

It  will be interesting to local residents to note that -/included in the Sydney women's .cricket team to play: at 'Bathurst; on March lO is Thelma McKenzie,- who; before her marriage, was Miss Thelma Murden, a former Lithgow residerit', and a well known- sportswoman here.

So this backs up CricketArchive's paywalled bit on her maiden name, Murden.

It also confirms that the 1929-32 womens footballer in the shortlived women's football league, and our cricketer are one and the same person. She was playing high school cricket in 1930, which probably confirms the 1911 one can't be the cricketer/football/general sports woman.  And here's a newspaper correction provided by her mother (!) in January 1946 that Thelma was now married and Mrs McKenzie, not Miss Murden.

George McKenzie married Thelma Norma Meryl McKenzie (our woman) in 1941 in Annandale, Sydney. (via the NSW family history search, which only has data from 50 years ago.) And the mother of Thelma Norma Meryl McKenzie born 1915 is Eva, the same woman who provides the correction in 1946. 

Hope any of this helps in any small way. The death bit drew a blank - the Sun (Oz version) would surely have mentioned it in their archives though.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, msc said:

I had a thought to put her maiden name through the Australian news records (non-paywalled) to see if anything came up. And I found this:

So this backs up CricketArchive's paywalled bit on her maiden name, Murden.

It also confirms that the 1929-32 womens footballer in the shortlived women's football league, and our cricketer are one and the same person. She was playing high school cricket in 1930, which probably confirms the 1911 one can't be the cricketer/football/general sports woman.  And here's a newspaper correction provided by her mother (!) in January 1946 that Thelma was now married and Mrs McKenzie, not Miss Murden.

George McKenzie married Thelma Norma Meryl McKenzie (our woman) in 1941 in Annandale, Sydney. (via the NSW family history search, which only has data from 50 years ago.) And the mother of Thelma Norma Meryl McKenzie born 1915 is Eva, the same woman who provides the correction in 1946. 

Hope any of this helps in any small way. The death bit drew a blank - the Sun (Oz version) would surely have mentioned it in their archives though.

Ok, here's what I got from the records. The last trace of her is living in Maclean, Cowper, New South Wales in 1977 as "Thelma Norma Meryl Mckenzie", so she must have died under that name. She is definitely not in the Ryerson Index. All that means is a death notice was never placed in a paper.

You can search the New South Wales death records up to 31/12/1991 on here, and again they confirm that she hadn't died by this period. So my hunch is she died in 1990s or 2000s at some point, and because of data protection in Australia and no published obit, we may have to wait some years before it becomes publicly available.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, arghton said:

Asian politicians born 1922-1929 with no death date, if someone wants to find a death date/confirmation that someone from this list is alive, go ahead...

Nathuram Shakyawar (14 November 1925) 1980s Indian member of parliament who took part in the Quit India Movement during WWII.

(List not ready)

Shakyawar died on 31 July 2005, at the age of 79, as per this.

On 21/07/2022 at 23:02, arghton said:

Asian politicians born 1922-1929 with no death date, if someone wants to find a death date/confirmation that someone from this list is alive, go ahead...

Mandala Venkata Swamy Naidu (1922) India, Lok Sabha member 1962-1967. Judging on how his wikipedia page is written I assume he's long dead.

Quite incredible that this page has existed on Wiki since 2014, without a single source.

I've added his Lok Sabha biography as a source, which presumably nobody could find as they were probably searching under "Naidu" when in fact he always went by the name of "Mandala Venkata SWAMY" or just "M V Swamy". His biography confirms he was born in January 1919, not 1922. This means he's deceased because S. K. Paramasivan (b. February 1919) was the oldest living former MP at the time of his death, so another off your list @arghton.

• Thanks 1

Dhireswar Kalita (22 April 1922) Assam communist leader, very likely long dead.

Obituary spread for Kalita. Died on 14 January 1997, at the age of 74.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 01:02, arghton said:

Subroto (19 September 1923) Discussed before, OPEC Sec-Gen twice, 1984-1985 and 1988-1994. Probably alive?

Removed OPEC boss Subroto from the list, seems very much alive. Here's a picture from May:

subroto.png.672507104b31b96dcb3b106e85ee7cb7.png

Tin Sein (1926) Myanmar Deputy Defence Minister in the 1980s. His son is married to Than Shwe's daughter and is active on facebook.

Tin Sein died around July or August 2020 at 94 according to this facebook post.

• Like 3

Lachhman Singh (10 January 1922) India, Rajya Sabha member 1996-2002, a relatively small amount of time ago. However he was 80 then, he'd be 100 now if still alive.

Mention of Lachman Singh's death here. Died 21 February 2006, aged 84.

That's all I'm doing cos I'm bored now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arghton said:

Tin Sein died around July or August 2020 at 94 according to this facebook post.

Died 15 August 2020. Full obit by his son here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are doing a wonderful work!                                 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amir Murtono apparently died last year.

• Thanks 2

Iqbal Singh (1923) India, Lok Sabha member 1954-1970, deputy minister of petroleum in the sixties. Likely dead.

Iqbal Singh died in 1988 aged 64 as per page 1/2 of this.

Seemed to be a pretty disgraced minister, hence why I don't think there were really any tributes. His family informed the Lok Sabha quite late about his demise, which is noted in the text.

• Like 1

Mahipal Shastri (19 January 1924) India, Governor of Gujarat in 1990.

Mahipal Shastri died on 23 August 1994, at the age of 70, as per the 1994 edition of Data India.

• Like 1

H. W. Dissanayake (3 February 1924) Sri Lanka/Ceylon former Member of Parliament.

There's an obituary for Dissanayake's wife here from 2012. It confirms in the text that her husband predeceased her.

Edit: this book confirms he died in 1985.

• Like 1

S. K. K. Suriarachchi (5 February 1924) Sri Lanka/Ceylon former Member of Parliament

Suriarachchi died in 1991 as per this edition of The Buddhist.

"The deaths of the following Members are recorded with deep regret : Mr S. K. K. Suriarachchi , Dr A. Wijesinghe , Mr L. A. G. C. Abeygoda and Mr M. W. Abeynajke. May they attain Nibbana."

• Like 1

@arghton, Rahimuddin Khan is a strange inclusion in your list. Agree with drol, very much alive and very unlikely to die off radar.

• Like 1

Removed Rahimuddin Khan and H. V. Hande.

Hande's alive and seems to be such a big political personality in Tamil Nadu I doubt he'll die off radar. Here's a picture apparently from last month:

hande.png.1a1a17177ca87ce736d5d016f6f2472b.png

Sawar Khan (1 December 1924) Former Governor of Punjab (Pakistan)

As per comments on this FB post, Khan seemed to be alive in 2014, so could still be alive aged 97.

• Like 2

@arghton, I suggest you also keep a list of those found to be alive, so it will be easier to track them in the future should their deaths go unreported.

@Ulitzer95, when was Rahimuddin's last public appearance? He seems to live like a hermit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, drol said:

@arghton, I suggest you also keep a list of those found to be alive, so it will be easier to track them in the future should their deaths go unreported.

@Ulitzer95, when was Rahimuddin's last public appearance? He seems to live like a hermit.

Not sure. He was reported to be in poor health in 2013 here. Makes me think he's likely housebound and has been for many years. A Zsa Zsa Gabor type situation if you like.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, drol said:

I've got a list in Political Frailty, 1 May 2022 with Asian politicians by country born before 1940,. China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam a few other countries are excluded but most of Asia is  covered. I sometimes check it for names to use in 20/20 + 2.

• Like 2

@arghton, @drol, I have done down to 1924 on the previous page. I’ll do the remaining years tonight. There must be an easier way to kill off a lot of these Lok Sabha members though. We know there are no members of the 1st Lok Sabha who are still alive. We also know that the oldest former member who died earlier this year was born in early 1919. Do we know who the oldest living former member is now? If so, we could auto rule out a bunch of these MPs.

• Like 2

T. B. Jayasundera (4 May 1927) Sri Lanka/Ceylon former Member of Parliament.

2009 obituary for his widow confirms Jayasundera must have died before that point.

• Like 2

C. Rajadurai (27 July 1927) Sri Lanka/Ceylon former Minister.

Rajadurai is still alive at 94. Article here from June 2021 discusses his "blissful retirement".

• Like 2

Muhammad al-Sufi (1927) Syrian military figure and Minister of Defence in 1963.

Al-Sufi died in Latakia on 19 November 2018 (aged 90/91) according to this.

• Like 2

Thiounn Mumm (8 December 1925) Cambodia, Pol Pot-era politician, intellectual who personally knew Pot and somehow survived his rule. "Thought to be alive" 2 years ago.

Thiounn Mumm died around March according to a post by facebook user Fichenou Lapaix, March 29. Translated from French.

In recent days, several Cambodians have paid tributes on Facebook to Thiounn Mumm, one of the Pol Pot regime's "intellectual" bonds, who died in Paris aged 96. These admirers feel veneration for this "great man" from polytechnic, who is one of the four very famous "intellectual" brothers who served the Khmer Rouge regime.

He is the third son of the powerful aristocratic family that has been linked to monarchic power since the French protectorate. Indeed, his grandfather, Thiounn, was the palace minister from 1902 to 1941.

The Thiounn brothers curiously escaped the Khmer Red Purges while several important cadres were eliminated in S-21.

They held important positions, but they did not have the decision-making power. They still remained loyal to Pol Pot for several years after the fall of Khmer Reds in 1979.

Can't find any articles or other confirmation, knowing his Khmer name could help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1