Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

1 hour ago, msc said:

Iirc retired due to struggling with severe cancer.

Not sure about that. He had stomach cancer about 5/6 years ago but was subsequently given the all clear. However, as a result of his treatment he had health complications and had to have serious surgery and took a lot of time off from Parliament. He had numerous other health problems over the years. At 80, it was probably just age related heart failure that got him in the end.

He was an ex miner who spent a couple of decades down the mines. Ex miners don’t tend to live past life expectancy. Dennis Skinner is an exception. 

6 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

He was an ex miner who spent a couple of decades down the mines. Ex miners don’t tend to live past life expectancy. Dennis Skinner is an exception. 

Unless you spend decades in Parliament as an MP. :rolleyes:

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

On 22/06/2023 at 14:10, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Streamlined and updated, considering OP hasn't been active for 3 years and I can't see that anyone else has posted a more recent list. 

1970 - 53/630

Patrick Cormack (b.1939) -  Conservative

Patrick Cormack being reported as dead. Wiki

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Tomiichi Murayama.... in excellent health ahead of his 100th birthday. Will we ever see another oldest state leader dead?

image.thumb.png.c31aba6a2535f3cb7e974416ec75d61a.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drol said:

Tomiichi Murayama.... in excellent health ahead of his 100th birthday. Will we ever see another oldest state leader dead?

image.thumb.png.c31aba6a2535f3cb7e974416ec75d61a.png

would be the first time that 3 100-year olds are alive from that list at once since Javier Perez de Cuellar died right?

Current list is not 100% correct because Siphandone actually died in 2023 at the age of 99. It will be easier if we finally accept this.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tower1 said:

Current list is not 100% correct because Siphandone actually died in 2023 at the age of 99. It will be easier if we finally accept this.

For sure a country prime minister thinks it is a good idea to stuff the body of his father, a former head of state, somewhere for no real reason.

On 03/03/2020 at 22:05, drol said:

Stanislaw Kania, who was First Secretary of Polish Communist Party in the 80s, has died at 92. This leaves few Polish communist heavyweights from the day; foreign ministers Stefan Olszowski (1931) and Marian Orzechowski (1931) and Prime Minister Edward Babiuch (1927) are the names that spring to mind. Surely a few others still going.

Stefan Olszowski, Polish communist hardliner and Minister of Foreign Affairs who wanted to supress the Solidarity movement, died without much fanfare in December at 92.

Four years later, all three of those listed dead. The question is, are there any of left? Colonel Eugenia Kempara should be the last left of the 7 (Jaruzelski included) accused in 2006 of crafting the martial law and will be 95 this year if still alive.

Then there are the members of the Junta - Military Council of National Salvation. The three living or probably still living are Colonel Tadeusz Makarewicz (98), Brigadier General Jerzy Jarosz (92) and Colonel Jerzy Włosiński (80).

Of other "notable" Polish communist politicians of that time Andrzej Werblan (99) is still probably alive too but wasn't a hardliner.

• Like 3

On 26/02/2024 at 01:49, Tower1 said:

Guessing you’re the person who keeps vandalising the Wiki pages of all the oldest living state leaders right now to say that they’re dead?

• Haha 1

On 01/05/2022 at 18:44, arghton said:

SRI LANKA

Ronnie de Mel (1925) Minister of Finance 1977-1988. Frail and obese

Ronnie de Mel dead at 98.

BTW J. R. P. Suriyapperuma was hospitalised in critical condition in January.

• Like 3

On 16/09/2021 at 21:20, Ulitzer95 said:

Ok, said I'd take a look at this and it's not a perfect list by any means but here are the surviving heads of state and government from the Cold War (12 March 1947 – 26 December 1991).

I've stuck to the main participants of the Cold War as defined on this Wiki page (i.e. the Eastern and Western Blocs), as opposed to spreading this too thinly and covering every single country who played a role in an event(s) of the period.

Western Bloc

Australia
Elizabeth II (b. 1926)
Paul Keating (b. 1944)

Belgium
Mark Eyskens (b. 1933)

Canada
Elizabeth II (b. 1926)
Joe Clark (b. 1939)
Brian Mulroney (b. 1939)

Denmark
Margrethe II (b. 1940)

France
Laurent Fabius (b. 1946)
Édith Cresson (b. 1934)

Greece
Constantine II (b. 1940)
Christos Sartzetakis (b. 1929)

Iceland

Vigdís Finnbogadóttir (b. 1930)
Porsteinn Palsson (b. 1947)
Davíd Oddsson (b. 1948)

Iran
Ali Khamenei (b. 1939)
Abolhassan Banisadr (b. 1933)
Mir-Hossein Mousavi (b. 1942)

Iraq
NONE

Italy
Arnaldo Forlani (b. 1925)
Ciriaco De Mita (b. 1928)

Luxembourg
Jacques Santer (b. 1937)

The Netherlands
Beatrix (b. 1938)
Dries van Agt (b. 1931)

New Zealand
Elizabeth II (b. 1926)
Geoffrey Palmer (b. 1942)
Jim Bolger (b. 1935)

Norway
Harald V (b. 1937)
Gro Harlem Brundtland (b. 1939)
Kåre Willoch (b. 1928)

Pakistan
Elizabeth II (b. 1926)
Nawaz Sharif (b. 1949)

Philippines
NONE

Portugal
António Ramalho Eanes (b. 1935)
Francisco Pinto Balsemão (b. 1937)
Aníbal Cavaco Silva (b. 1939)

Spain
Juan Carlos I (b. 1938)
Felipe González (b. 1942)

Thailand
Thanin Kraivichien (b. 1927)
Anand Panyarachun (b. 1932)

Turkey
NONE

United Kingdom
Elizabeth II (b. 1926)
John Major (b. 1943)

United States
Jimmy Carter (b. 1924)

West Germany
NONE

Eastern Bloc

Albania
Fatos Nano (b. 1952)
Ylli Bufi (b. 1948)
Vilson Ahmeti (b. 1951)

Bulgaria
Georgi Atanasov (b. 1933)
Philip Dimitrov (b. 1955)

Byelorussia
Nikolay Slyunkov (b. 1929)
Yefrem Sokolov (b. 1926)
Stanislav Shushkevich (b. 1934)

Czechoslovakia
Karel Urbánek (b. 1941)
Lubomír Štrougal (b. 1924)
Marián Čalfa (b. 1946)

East Germany
Egon Krenz (b. 1937)
Sabine Bergmann-Pohl (b. 1946)
Hans Modrow (b. 1928)
Lothar de Maizière (b. 1940)

Hungary
Mátyás Szurös (b. 1933)

Poland
Lech Wałesa (b. 1943)
Jan Krzysztof Bielecki (b. 1951)

Romania
Ion Iliescu (b. 1930)

Soviet Union
Mikhail Gorbachev (b. 1931)
Nikolai Ryzhkov (b. 1929)
Ivan Silayev (b. 1930)

Ukraine
Leonid Kravchuk (b. 1934)
Vitold Fokin (b. 1932)

-------------------
It seems like a long list, but it's really not when you consider that 95% of Cold War leaders are dead.

Romania, West Germany, Turkey, the Philippines and Iraq are the only countries with no survivors. The USA to be the next?

42 names remaining.

The Soviet Union are the 4th country out since I started this in 2021.

Ukraine, Romania, Hungary and the USA are hot contenders to be the next countries with no remaining Cold War leaders left.

• Like 3

I mean I suppose we are in a new Cold War.

Of course, if Trump gets elected, that won't be the case, given they are best buddies. 

Putin's making his annual address today. I assume that will be on the ground floor of a building. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I mean I suppose we are in a new Cold War.

Of course, if Trump gets elected, that won't be the case, given they are best buddies. 

Putin's making his annual address today. I assume that will be on the ground floor of a building. 

What version of the news do you watch?

• Haha 1

It's a double bluff @Ulitzer95, you know how Putin works.

Putin says he prefers Biden, the USA shows its disdain for that and votes for Trump (heaven forbid) and Putin gets his pal back. :lol:

It's quite obvious. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

It's a double bluff @Ulitzer95, you know how Putin works.

Putin says he prefers Biden, the USA shows its disdain for that and votes for Trump (heaven forbid) and Putin gets his pal back. :lol:

It's quite obvious. ;)

Nah, I don’t buy that whatsoever. The idea that Putin is being dishonest and disingenuous 100% of the time is nonsense. He didn’t even hesitate when they asked that, it was an instinctive answer. Putin is a strongman. Trump is a strongman. Strongmen don’t like strongmen. Putin would prefer the senile softie who falls over and shat himself during an audience with the Pope, because he doesn’t know where he is and has no idea what’s going on. Allows Russia to go unchallenged.

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Nah, I don’t buy that whatsoever. The idea that Putin is being dishonest and disingenuous 100% of the time is nonsense. He didn’t even hesitate when they asked that, it was an instinctive answer. Putin is a strongman. Trump is a strongman. Strongmen don’t like strongmen. Putin would prefer the senile softie who falls over and shat himself during an audience with the Pope, because he doesn’t know where he is and has no idea what’s going on. Allows Russia to go unchallenged.

I don't know. I'll freely admit that.

From my view, Trump has already signalled he'll give no objection to the disputed areas of Ukraine being handed to Russia. Why on earth would Putin "back" Biden, who is leading the charge with NATO agin him? It makes no sense, unless Putin wants or needs the fight with an ever growing NATO.

Just my opinion. My eyebrows shot to the back of my head when I saw the report initially, then if I thought about it, what I said makes sense. 

Anyhow, all these players might be dead in a couple of years and we won't have to think about it too hard. :lol:

• Like 4

Strongmen like strongmen, Trump really likes Putin, he loves Kim Yong-Un, he likes Jair Bolsonaro, Victor Orban and whoever else is out there.

Maybe there is a differentiation to be made in that there are populist strongmen, i.e. people who act like it and don't really mean it. They love to have other populists to play against, like George Bush Jr. really liked to have a similarly aggressive foil in Mahmood Ahmadineschad of Iran.

Now, some strongmen are really above playing to the audience. Putin is one, I think, but Trump isn't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Republican Party core voter base is very pro Putin and Russia. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Strongmen like strongmen, Trump really likes Putin, he loves Kim Yong-Un, he likes Jair Bolsonaro, Victor Orban and whoever else is out there.

Maybe there is a differentiation to be made in that there are populist strongmen, i.e. people who act like it and don't really mean it. They love to have other populists to play against, like George Bush Jr. really liked to have a similarly aggressive foil in Mahmood Ahmadineschad of Iran.

Now, some strongmen are really above playing to the audience. Putin is one, I think, but Trump isn't.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Strongmen like strongmen if they’re alligned eg China + Russia, but broadly speaking they don’t. I think it’s true however to say that they always admire one another to some extent. It’s like Sturgeon’s love of Thatcher. That was admiration for her strength, courage and indefatigability (to borrow a word from George Galloway), not her actual politics.

15 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Strongmen like strongmen if they’re alligned eg China + Russia, but broadly speaking they don’t. I think it’s true however to say that they always admire one another to some extent. It’s like Sturgeon’s love of Thatcher. That was admiration for her strength, courage and indefatigability (to borrow a word from George Galloway), not her actual politics.

Even China and Russia is more of marriage of convenience than genuinely liking each other. China and Russia would dump each other if it no longer become useful for them 

Lord Alastair Goodlad (wiki), 81 in July, retired from the House of Lords today.

Was a Tory MP from 1974 to 1999.

Last spoke January 2023. Last voted July 2023. Was a very active member of the House until that month. Strikes me as looking pretty frail.

• Like 3

Not going to post the list again but Mulroney is the 19th Cold War leader to die from the list of survivors since I first posted it in Sep 2021. 

41 names remaining.

Australian Senator for Victoria, Linda White has died following a health battle.