Charlotte's Controller

Knights of the Realm

Just an idea, Nights of the realm always get an Obit, they have a history, it is a limited population and the research could be enlightening. Anyone interested?

What would the rules be?

I'm new to this but I would like to see a mix of political, entertainers, business, sports and forces represented. Jokers allowed, as many of them will be, a decent time for research and an order based result points scoring system 25 points down 25 to 1, joker double points. 25 persons (Knights and Dames) so as to be politically correct, five from each of the categories. This is a starting point any suggestions welcome.

When you thinking of starting it?

Well I am in.Sounds a good idea.

Excellent.

I've been doing a bit of research I think it will be limited to British. Final rules to be posted after Easter, until then a chance to do some research.

Why limit it to British?  <crosses Bob Geldof off list>

Too many people have been given titles with little merit, the foreign ones have many designations and people have collected them a bit like olympic pins.

On 4/11/2017 at 09:40, Charlotte's Controller said:

Too many people have been given titles with little merit, the foreign ones have many designations and people have collected them a bit like olympic pins.

Well, that's where obits come into play, surely? I struggle to see how someone like Dame Kiri te Kanawa, Sir Everton Weekes or Sir Colin Meads wouldn't be appropriate for a Knights of the Realm thing. They'd probably all obit in the UK as well as their homelands. 

• Like 1

On 10/04/2017 at 22:40, Charlotte's Controller said:

I'd say that goes for some of the British ones too.

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'd say that goes for some of the British ones too.

Sir Lynton Crosby, for servicing David Cameron

Sir Eric Pickles, for service to the Sontarans

Sir Gerald Kaufman

Sir Danny Alexander

Can't think what you mean...

On 4/10/2017 at 14:40, Charlotte's Controller said:

Dame Ke$ha and Sir Justin Beiber accomplished many things to earn their title

So Easter has gone and a Bank Holiday is approaching, teams to be in by Wednsday 6am GMT after the May Day bank holiday. DM me with your teams.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 22:22, Charlotte's Controller said:

Excellent.

I've been doing a bit of research I think it will be limited to British. Final rules to be posted after Easter, until then a chance to do some research.

So what are the final rules?

On 10/04/2017 at 21:24, Charlotte's Controller said:

I'm new to this but I would like to see a mix of political, entertainers, business, sports and forces represented. Jokers allowed, as many of them will be, a decent time for research and an order based result points scoring system 25 points down 25 to 1, joker double points. 25 persons (Knights and Dames) so as to be politically correct, five from each of the categories. This is a starting point any suggestions welcome.

And finishing point 25 in order First to die at no 1 25 points Joker scores in reverse but double please designate your selection as P,E,B,S,F to confirm classification as some will undoubtedly be both. Good luck, a pdf certificate to the winner. :unsure:

Where do scientists go?

I would rather put in five scientists than five from the armed forces.

Have you had many entries?

I am OK for politicians, need one more each for business and sport and I have entertainers by the score. 

I didn't read the rules proprly whenI did my first run through and have  got artists, writers and academics and no military at all. Are you OK with other or do I have to go back to the drawing board.

Do people who were once knighted but have now been given a peerage count?

Due to popular demand and lack of entries so far, the final category is now armed forces and scientists. Knights who have subsequently become peers also count.

I didn't realise we would be restricted like that.  It's like Biblio's Scavenger Hunt, but without the interest of different ways to win.

Think I'll be giving it a miss, sorry.

• Like 1

If you wish you can pick your team, choose your own rules and I will apply them to all teams entered. A bit like the premiership teams playing in the League, FA Cup and League Cup in one season. That is more of a data challenge for which the original rules can be loosened but I will remain arbitrator for bias the rules. All entries to abide by original or revised rules, non applicable selections to the rules will be allocated the minimum scoring points level for an obit.  

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Have you had many entries?

I am OK for politicians, need one more each for business and sport and I have entertainers by the score. 

I didn't read the rules proprly whenI did my first run through and have  got artists, writers and academics and no military at all. Are you OK with other or do I have to go back to the drawing board.

Do people who were once knighted but have now been given a peerage count?

Well that means I can pull in a few others.

I have submitted my team with a broad interpretation of the categories but I think this is a work in progress.

This game never got off the ground but it was the only place where I had Sir Peter Tapsell on a team.