Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Phil Oakey

26 minutes ago, JQW said:

They apparently played Scarborough last night, so it can't have been anything really serious.

What was the score?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Always been a big Heaven 17 fan.  Martyn Ware, formerly of Human League now H17 used both Twitter & Facebook to say "get well soon Phil".

Tonight someone has Tweeted how good they were in Scarborough today despite Phil's "cold".  Nothing to see here.

However, an interesting link is the odd circumstance of Ian Craig Marsh.  Original HL member & then onto H17 with Ware, disappeared from the band in the late 90s saying he'd had enough of stardom.  No contact with Ware & Glenn Gregory, with rumours of him teaching somewhere in the South.

• Thanks 1

On 05/08/2017 at 11:49, Lard Bazaar said:

It's true. A whole career on the back of a ridiculous fucking haircut and a song that Shaz and Trace dance round their handbags to at every fucking 80s night going.  Every other song they've done has been dull as absolute FUCK and to top it off they're all fucking NORTHERNERS.  And those two dull fucking bints in the background, WHY?  AAAARGHGHGH I FUCKING HATE THEM I need a lie down.

Lardy, as one who's seen them live and also acquainted myself with their entire recorded output I'm of a totally different opinion. Intelligent, funny but above all a great pop band who don't take themselves too seriously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Lardy, as one who's seen them live and also acquainted myself with their entire recorded output I'm of a totally different opinion. Intelligent, funny but above all a great pop band who don't take themselves too seriously.

I love you Mary and if I was going to change my mind for anyone it would be you :D But I just cannot bring myself to like them. They are my pop equivalent of Anthea Turner! 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I love you Mary and if I was going to change my mind for anyone it would be you :D But I just cannot bring myself to like them. They are my pop equivalent of Anthea Turner! 

Nothing is THAT bad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Holy shit if Phil reads that he'll have a relapse!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

I've seen them live too, and I'd go again.  I had 'Dare' when it came out, and the remix album.  Much later I bought their first album, which is really different, but then so was the band then.  They're not all about one song. 

48 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Holy shit if Phil reads that he'll have a relapse!

And Martyn Ware would have a coronary!

16 hours ago, Toast said:

I've seen them live too, and I'd go again.  I had 'Dare' when it came out, and the remix album.  Much later I bought their first album, which is really different, but then so was the band then.  They're not all about one song. 

I saw that original four piece when the Heaven 17 guys were there. Phil singing, two synths and one band member doing nowt but projecting slides behind the live show. What I loved about them then, and still do is that sense of total randomness behind any serious message. The slide show included sixties television puppet heroes and the like which made them a lot less po faced and serious than - say - Gary Numan.

• Like 2