Walter Cronkite

dead

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Banshees Scream_*

Guest_Banshees Scream_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2004 - 11:55 PM

TV news anchor; "CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite" (1962-81). Voted "the most trusted man in America" in 1973. Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom (1981).

i say hes a definit 2005 canidate

#2 The Four Horsemen

The Four Horsemen

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:24 PM

I seem to remember suggesting Mr Cronkite a while back, but somebody said he's still broadcasting and getting around so doesn't sound like he's on the elevator to the stars just yet.........
It is surely better to be pissed off than pissed on

#3 Cowboy Ronnie

Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1994 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

actually 4H, Walter Cronkite was on the list last year, but for reasons too complicated to go into now, he didn't make the cut for 2004. So, there is definitely consensus with respect to both your throwing his name out but also having doubts whether he's top 50 material. Too bad, because I feel there's a joke about him wearing Conkrite boots when he goes to be made, I just haven't thought of it yet...

#4 Typhoid Harry

Typhoid Harry

Post-Twunt

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:49 PM

Ssssshhhhh! He's on my list. Let's not jinx it.
I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical... - Dr. Who

#5 Guest_Death List Watcher_*

Guest_Death List Watcher_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:12 PM

His death would sadden me, yet not surprise me. In fact, speaking with my father in late 2003, my father already thought Mr. Cronkite had died. He was a great intellectual and public figure during the 20th Century. What American has not seen the film of his announcement of President Kennedy's death? Walter Cronkite is a true American icon.

#6 Larry Pestilence III

Larry Pestilence III

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:05 PM

Walter Cronkite is a true American icon.

True. Didn't he stun America by opposing the Vietnam war? (or was it something else?).

#7 Mortician

Mortician

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

Walter Cronkite is a true American icon.

And if he was presenting Fox News he would be a true American Con
plan to live forever or die in the attempt

#8 Guest_walter cronkites mom_*

Guest_walter cronkites mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:17 AM

Umm...no, he wouldnt.

#9 football_fan

football_fan

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2617 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:23 AM

TV news anchor; "CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite" (1962-81). Voted "the most trusted man in America" in 1973. Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom (1981).

Walter Cronkite is one of the few TV news anchors that you could classify as being"fair and balanced." You don't find too many of them these days in the United States. Especially on the Fox News Channel.
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer". <br />- Robert Frost

#10 Guest_devonator_*

Guest_devonator_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:26 AM

I know you Brits are not quite aware about uncle walter as we are in North America but the man is anything but fair and balanced unless you consider Far Far left wing to be fair and balanced.

And since he left the chair at CBS over the last 20 years, his radical left wing politics have been on display for all too see.......Walter makes no bones about the fact that he is a diehard liberal and that that tainted his views on CBS!

I got the feeling here that you chaps probably consider BBC as fair and balanced too ........as per your ridicule of FOX which is truly the only network that actually has both sides fairly represented which drives the left wing batty....

Luckily, now here in Canada, we can receive FOX legally as opposed to the appalling drivel on the state owned CBC which less then 5 percent of Canucks watch...

Uncle Walter an American Icon??? Yeah......right up there with Alger Hiss.....

#11 Slave to the Grave

Slave to the Grave

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1124 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:20 PM

Uncle Walter an American Icon??? Yeah......right up there with Alger Hiss.....

Alger Hiss, who, unfortunately for Deathlist watchers, and his family and friends actually died in 1996 aged 92, could be described as a true American icon. Not the America of the Christian right, but that of Thomas Jefferson et al. The only thing louder than the Judge's gavel during the McCarthy inspired trials was the whirling noise as the founding father's of this great nation span in their graves.

His only crime perhaps was choosing the wrong country to practice his freedom of expression. I know the same could be said of communist Russia, but I don't think they ever claimed to be the land of the free.

A Lawyer, he was readmitted to the Bar in 1975, after the government's misconduct during his trial was revealed.

Just a thought <_<
In my experience, yes, some guests have the same longing for towels and bedlinen as zombies have for human flesh.

"Turrwets, a very good place to keep a tdonkley" - Lady G.

Who is not made better and wiser by occasional intercourse with the tomb?
-George Blair

#12 Tuber Mirum

Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3199 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:26 PM

I know you Brits are not quite aware about uncle walter as we are in North America but the man is anything but fair and balanced unless you consider Far Far left wing to be fair and balanced.

I got the feeling here that you chaps probably consider BBC as fair and balanced too ........as per your ridicule of FOX which is truly the only network that actually has both sides fairly represented which drives the left wing batty....

Devonator, your remarks lack credibility.

#13 Guest_ThePatriotUSN_*

Guest_ThePatriotUSN_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

Walter Cronkite NOT fair and balanced? Fox News LEGITIMATE news?

Come now- Devonator, your comments are definitely not credible. Obviously you come from a very conservative viewpoint. Richard Nixon thought Walter to be a very reliable and great newscaster, while John Kennedy thought him to be a pain in the you-know-what.

Fox News is the tabloid version of news- it is a disgrace to the great newsmen like Cronkite. That man IS an American icon, and worthy of deep respect.

#14 GracieJc8

GracieJc8

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

Saw Cronkite on Wolf Blitzer last week. He was talking about Dan Rather's departure. He still looked very alert and healthy. A good man and helluva journalist, I don't think he's going anywhere soon.

#15 Guest_The Dawg...._*

Guest_The Dawg...._*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:51 PM

His Wife died today... does that count for anything.

#16 GracieJc8

GracieJc8

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:06 PM

Yes, I just heard that on CNN. I hate to hear that news.

#17 Paul Bearer

Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7390 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:14 PM

I managed to pick him on our dead pool at work.... Come on Walter
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#18 Guest_Lorimarie_*

Guest_Lorimarie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:52 AM

[FONT=Courier][SIZE=1][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]The death of Betsy Cronkite comes two weeks before their 65th wedding anniversary. My deepest condolences to Mr. Cronkite, his children, and grandsons.

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:01 AM

well Lord Callaghan died 10 days after his wife died so ,yes,i guess it does count.Guess we betetr watch this space for old Walter to join his late spouse then...

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:21 PM

well Lord Callaghan died 10 days after his wife died so ,yes,i guess it does count.Guess we betetr watch this space for old Walter to join his late spouse then...

It wouldn't suprise me to hear of Cronkite's passing. He is after all almost 90 years old. He just lost his wife of 65 years. And I believe I heard somewhere where he underwent heart bypass surgery a few years ago. This would be a very deep and profound loss to our country. One of the last if not the last of "the good guys".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users