shultz rogers de Havilland
deCuellar frates pope ben xvi - s
rogers - s trintignant lear
flair prince p prince p
prince p - s alagiah mercier
gilbert cardin mccain
newton-john k johnson philips
eden escheverria tanaka

The mines of James & Yakasone have detonated well clear of what remains of the fleet with only two days left of November.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All 3 finalists have survived the round, so we move to our final round with a modified format to help insure that we get a victor by the end of 2019.  All three teams have PM'd a list of 25 names and ranked them 1 to 25.  The rank will determine the number of points that player scores with a hit.  If by some miracle, nobody gets a hit by the end of Dec 31, we will go into SUDDEN DEATH (how appropriate).  First player to score after that will be eliminated.  Also if only one player is eliminated in Dec, the game will move into January sudden death for the final two players.  If two or more players both hit with the same name, we look at the rankings and highest rank (most points) is OUT!  All three of you have been outstanding since we started this game in Aug of 2018, and are all worthy of the title.  But from here on, may the best man/woman win!

Reposted (w corrected scoring values) lists found a few posts later in the thread!

• Like 3

I love the way we all have Pope Benny in almost but not exactly the same place.

• Haha 1

Oldlady had Frates in 3rd...

• Like 1

On 09/12/2019 at 13:29, Joey Russ said:

Oldlady had Frates in 3rd...

Yes, and Capn Cho put him on his team for 17 pts!  Which means with 20 days to go Bibliogryphon has taken the lead.  Still time for anything to happen . . . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wormfarmer said:

Yes, and Capn Cho put him on his team for 17 pts!  Which means with 20 days to go Bibliogryphon has taken the lead.  Still time for anything to happen . . . . .

Shouldn't our 1 be worth 25 and 25 worth 1 etc.,that's how I assumed when I sent my team since it's how it worked every other round where 1 was your highest point name and 10 was lowest

• Like 1

My list is correct. QE2 was my number 25 (if she were to pass I would be down 25 points); she will hopefully be with us for many years to come. She is most likely not going to pass away this month. (Hope I did not jinks her.)

Yet it looks like the other two lists were ranked the other way around. And I can see why - the switch isn't really all that explicit when it says "The rank will determine the number of points that player scores with a hit" since it would also determine the number of points if it was the other way around. I would have done the same as Cap'n Chorizo and, presumably, Bibliogryphon, if I were still in this game.

Yes Nolan was my least likely to go so should be my 25 pointer.

Sorry for any confusion

Yikes! Both Biblio (17 - when his and Capt’s lists Get correctly numbered) and I (4) have Mercier on our lists! Should probably Change Capt’s points for Frates to 9. @Wormfarmer

20 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Yikes! Both Biblio (17 - when his and Capt’s lists Get correctly numbered) and I (4) have Mercier on our lists! Should probably Change Capt’s points for Frates to 9. @Wormfarmer

And things were going so well....

Give me a minute to sort this out.  My intention was for your final ranking to = your points earned with a hit at that spot.  Since the oldlady submitted first and got it right (confirming she meant QE2 was worth 25 pts), I assumed the other players interpreted it similarly.  If in good faith your lists are intended in reverse order, I will resort them.    No worries.

• Thanks 1

Dec teams      
theoldlady  7 cap'n chorizo  9 bibliogryphon 17 pts 
eden escheverria ferlinghetti 1
cardin cardin shultz 2
frates ferlinghetti k johnson 3
mercier ono gascoine 4
trintignant alagiah phillips 5
barker de Havilland de Havilland 6
gilbert littlefeather kissinger 7
alagiah scales lear 8
scales frates pope ben 9
phillips gilbert norman lloyd 10
k johnson pope ben p philip 11
ferlinghetti last p-orridge 12
newton-john trintignant cardin 13
trebek reiner kerslake 14
ono trebek white 15
pope ben white eden 16
lear gascoine mercier 17
rogers kerslake rogers 18
de Cuellar nolan scales 19
shultz lear flair 20
reiner QE2 gilbert 21
de Havilland newton-john reiner 22
white rogers ono 23
kissinger flair QE2 24
QE 2 sam lloyd nolan 25
  • Sad 1

So there will be a winner by the end of Dec - right on schedule!  2 hits already, and even though theoldlady has included both of them, she is the shrewdest ranker so far and still has the lowest point total.  So with 2 weeks to go, she has the inside track to the championship. 

A few stats about the final lists:

36 of the 57 names possible were chosen.

12 names were taken by all 3 players.

9 of the names are solos. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I think late on the first day of the new year we are safe to declare a winner in this tournament that lasted a full year and a half.  I would like to offer my firm congratulations to theoldlady for taking the trophy, and it couldn't go to a nicer deadpooler.  Ironically, she wins it even though she had BOTH of the two names that died in Dec on her list (Sheila Mercier and Pete Frates).  It goes to show you that the ranking is what's important here.  Her total was still the lowest of the three for the month, which makes her the champion.  Also well done to runners up Captain Chorizo and Bibliogryphon, but as Jeff says on Survivor - - I've got nothing for ya. 

I will consider another tournament style pool after a break, as I have been doing a lot of work on prepping for other pools and am about tuckered out on pooling for now.  Thank you all for playing and making it an interesting match. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Congrats theoldlady on that marathon effort! 

And thank you wormfarmer for running this - definitely a marathon effort from you too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1