DeathClock

Joe Biden

2 minutes ago, Comped said:

Trump has the momentum at the moment... And I doubt that will change if Harris is on top of the ticket.

Possibly so, but Biden certainly couldn't win. We'll have to wait and see what they decide to do.

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Thank you... he's a good man. More proof of that. It's very rare in politics.

Would a good man oppose bussing with Strom Thurmond? Would a good man allow Israel to commit genocide? Would a good man put almost allow his ego to doom Democracy in this Country? 

Right now, the polls will be worst for Biden. After the convention and the assassination attempt, Trump's ratings will be at their best possible point. It can only go down from here, but now the narrative will be that it's Kamala's doing.

Taken the past half hour to reminisce on some of my favourite Biden quotes. Here's my top 3.

3. The recent Putin gaffe (link)

2. Defining America in a single word (link)

1. The spaghetti sauce (link)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

Would a good man oppose bussing with Strom Thurmond? Would a good man allow Israel to commit genocide? Would a good man put almost allow his ego to doom Democracy in this Country? 

You know it's not all black and white.

Biden won the primaries and is now willingly giving it up. It's a big move. Yes, it had to happen, but it did.

Also, I am at the point where I automatically dislike everybody who wants me to think about the Israel/Palestine issue in any way.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Newsom may mount a challenge at the Convention.

Newsom would destroy his political future if he does that.

• Like 1

Just now, gcreptile said:

You know it's not all black and white.

Biden won the primaries and is now willingly giving it up. It's a big move. Yes, it had to happen, but it did.

Also, I am at the point where I automatically dislike everybody who wants me to think about the Israel/Palestine issue in any way.

The only president who even came even close to being a good man in the 20th and 21st was Herbert Hoover due to his Humanitarian aid, and he was Herbert Hoover. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

The main problems the moderates of the party had with Joseph was his age, and Newsom is a snake, he knows how to be patient, he will wait until probably 2028 to actually run.

I just adore that you call him Joseph considering you nearly had a heart attack when someone called President Ford Jerry. 

2 minutes ago, arrowsmith said:

I just adore that you call him Joseph considering you nearly had a heart attack when someone called President Ford Jerry. 

Gerald Rudolph Ford Jr. is Gerald Ford's full legal name, Joseph Robinette Biden Jr is Joseph Biden's full legal name.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Tango854 said:

Gerald Rudolph Ford Jr. is Gerald Ford's full legal name, Joseph Robinette Biden Jr is Joseph Biden's Full name.

I’m aware. I’m also aware that you are the biggest dingbat on this site. 

Just now, arrowsmith said:

I’m aware. I’m also aware that you are the biggest dingbat on this site. 

Yeah sure buddy.

4 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

The only president who even came even close to being a good man in the 20th and 21st was Herbert Hoover due to his Humanitarian aid, and he was Herbert Hoover. 

Sorry, Jimmy Carter as well. As far as I know, he could be stubborn and arrogant, destroying his relations with Congress. But he genuinely wanted to do good. Seriously, building houses at 95, offering to be on diplomatic peace missions in his 90s, that's got to count for something. 

"Gerald Ford is a nice guy, but he played too much football with his helmet off" - Lyndon B Johnson.

Now that's an insult :D.

• Haha 2

Sorry, Jimmy Carter as well. As far as I know, he could be stubborn and arrogant, destroying his relations with Congress. But he genuinely wanted to do good. Seriously, building houses at 95, offering to be on diplomatic peace missions in his 90s, that's got to count for something. 

Jimmy Carter's actions after his presidency were honorable I will admit, but his foreign policy DURING his presidency was dogshit and the ghosts of East Timor will hopefully haunt him forever in whatever afterlife there is.

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

"Gerald Ford is a nice guy, but he played too much football with his helmet off" - Lyndon B Johnson.

Now that's an insult :D.

One that got reused on poor Jack Kemp. Appropriately. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

If Trump gets in, everyone using the nickname "Genocide Joe" or whatever is going to wish he was still running things. While Biden has not handled that situation well, Trump and his party backers are even more pro-Israel (remember Trump was the one who recognised Jerusalem as the capital and moved the US embassy there) and will more than likely give Israel carte blanche in Gaza. Under Biden he had some vocal criticisms, didn't veto a key UN Security Council ruling, and proposed a ceasefire deal that the same Council backed, but was rejected by the belligerents on the ground. If that conflict has taught us anything it's never underestimate the lengths 1 man will go to to stay out jail (i.e. Netanyahu).

Just now, YoungWillz said:

DNC could descend into madness.

Harris bears the reported scars of the past 4 years, so the attack lines on record still stand. However, Trump will look like yesterday's man more and more.

Is America ready for a female President? As an outside observer, the country seems to be going through its mediaeval stage imo. Ha!

Newsom may mount a challenge at the Convention.

There hasn't been a truly contested convention since Reagan challenged Ford in 1976. This is unprecedented. Biden can endorse Harris, but his delegates do not need to support his chosen candidate. That being said, Harris is the natural choice, there will be a lot of potential Democratic voters who have been wavering over Biden who will now back Harris over Trump, it could well energise the black vote in some parts of the country and women, who have not always been Trump's biggest supporters anyway, could potentially come over to the Democrats to be part of history. There is a clear contrast between the two parties candidates now, and enough time between now and November for Harris to put all this in the rear view mirror and mount a credible, potentially winning, campaign. That said, she'll also piss off a lot of people, particularly those who hated Obama and allowed Trump in in the first place, and the left will be disappointed if Harris is the candidate - but do they want to force the issue? Whatever they might hope, I'm not sure replacing Biden with Bernie Sanders is going to be a progressive step in the age stakes. :rolleyes:

Every time I think that we are finished with unprecedented political upheaval, something else happens to prove me wrong. All that's left is for Trump to have a fatal heart attack before November and JD Vance becomes the candidate by default.

• Like 1

Also, worth noting, it remains to be seen who she picks as her running mate, assuming she wins the nomination. Could easily head off a challenge if she makes the right pick too. It will be a man, probably white, somewhere from the midwest most likely - a Joe Biden-esque figure essentially, rather than another west coast liberal like Newsome I'd expect.

• Like 1

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

Also, worth noting, it remains to be seen who she picks as her running mate, assuming she wins the nomination. Could easily head off a challenge if she makes the right pick too. It will be a man, probably white, somewhere from the midwest most likely - a Joe Biden-esque figure essentially, rather than another west coast liberal like Newsome I'd expect.

Per the 12th amendment, she cannot pick Newsom.

5 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Tier A: Josh Shapiro or Andy Beshear

Tier B: Roy Cooper, Gretchen Whitmer

Tier C: Mark Kelly, Pete Buttigieg

I'd like it to be Josh Shapiro. But Beshear might work, too.

Edit: Newsom needed to run against Biden this year. That was his chance. And they don't come twice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

Edit: Newsom needed to run against Biden this year. That was his chance. And they don't come twice.

None of these except (arguably) Pete are bad VP picks, if she for whatever reason however wanted a truly dogshit VP pick you have Chris Murphy, but why would you pick Chris Murphy of all people to be your VP?

Won't be Whitmer, she'd be a great candidate for top of the ticket, but there's no way the Democrats will pick an all-female ticket, they need to keep some more conservative men on board if they're going to win IMHO.

• Like 1

Just now, Tango854 said:

Per the 12th amendment, she cannot pick Newsom.

There are ways around the 12th amendment, if the will's there. But, as I said, he won't be the pick anyway.

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

There are ways around the 12th amendment, if the will's there. But, as I said, he won't be the pick anyway.

I know there are ways around it. But Newsom isn't Dick Cheney.

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Won't be Whitmer, she'd be a great candidate for top of the ticket, but there's no way the Democrats will pick an all-female ticket, they need to keep some more conservative men on board if they're going to win IMHO.

Yeah, there needs to be, because the patriarchy is deeply embedded, a straight, white man on the ticket. Otherwise, Whithmer would maybe be pick no. 1 overall. This right now doesn't seem to be the time for the first all female ticket.

• Like 1