Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Guess The Song

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Hard one:

An abode of little stability for games (song title) (5,2,5)

Why's there water in my desert pilgrimadge (band) (6,5)

Or the easy one:

Ensure termination of the pronoun (song title) (4,2,4)

tidal waters harass the sand in this manner (band) (4,5)

I think you've got some of the numbers wrong.

I don''t know these, but just going on the clues for the song titles

House Of Cards?

Make It Stop?

9 hours ago, Toast said:

I think you've got some of the numbers wrong.

I don''t know these, but just going on the clues for the song titles

House Of Cards?

Make It Stop?

Both correct. And yes I fucked up the band nunbers a bit; 

While everyone digs through albums they've never heard of for the crossword ones, here's something a bit more mainstream and easier.

An exclamation that (unless you count the Interto Cup) has alluded Newcastle this century so far.

Simply the best! - Tina Turner

We are the champions! Queen

Too darn hot! Cole Porter

28 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

While everyone digs through albums they've never heard of for the crossword ones, here's something a bit more mainstream and easier.

An exclamation that (unless you count the Interto Cup) has alluded Newcastle this century so far.

Simply the best! - Tina Turner

We are the champions! Queen

Too darn hot! Cole Porter

Bingo.

This band had one UK no 1 and 5 no 2s hit singles between 1971 and 1975, at which point their chart career appeared over. However they had a 'comeback' top 10 hit in 1978, only to disappear into commercial obscurity thereafter, having sacked their lead singer for being permanently stoned and unable to sing any more. Name the band and the  'comeback' hit.

51 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:
This band had one UK no 1 and 5 no 2s hit singles between 1971 and 1975, at which point their chart career appeared over. However they had a 'comeback' top 10 hit in 1978, only to disappear into commercial obscurity thereafter, having sacked their lead singer for being permanently stoned and unable to sing any more. Name the band and the  'comeback' hit.

The Sweet - Love is Like Oxygen

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Same group - Fox on the run? 

Edit - ah forget it. Just googled it. 

Edited by Paul Bearer

2 hours ago,  Great Uncle Bulgaria said: 

yep, that's the one.

16 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Same group - Fox on the run? 

Edit - ah forget it. Just googled it. 

Aye, given the stats we're quoted I can't see another contender. Sweet were a bit unlucky re their ability to post songs at #2 in the charts. Actually exported better to the US than most of the glam rock competition from our shores and were the band name-checked by Kiss and The Runaways amongst others

16 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:
   2 hours ago,  Great Uncle Bulgaria said: 

yep, that's the one.

Reet - I'm on it, so...

Opening track on a multi-platinum album. The band strike up a leisurely groove which lasts longer than the intro to many songs (approx. 20 seconds) before the singer wades in. The first words sung are the title of the album, but not the title of this song (which is a hit single in its own right)

Reet - I'm on it, so...

Opening track on a multi-platinum album. The band strike up a leisurely groove which lasts longer than the intro to many songs (approx. 20 seconds) before the singer wades in. The first words sung are the title of the album, but not the title of this song (which is a hit single in its own right)

Diamond Life (album), song = smooth operator, Sade?

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Reet - I'm on it, so...

Diamond Life (album), song = smooth operator, Sade?

Awesome Dude, you're back dictating the play

Debut (top 10) hit for a new wave band who had a few more afterwards. The chorus of the B side involved shouting the name of a character from Coronation Street several times.

Almost tempted to say Graham Fellows wrote it.

Gordon is a moron was him, but he was in Corrie around then, and wrote stuff for bands early 80's.

4 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Debut (top 10) hit for a new wave band who had a few more afterwards. The chorus of the B side involved shouting the name of a character from Coronation Street several times.

The Skids, Into The Valley

Coincidentally I saw them on Friday night and was shouting out "Albert Tatlock!" along with everyone else  :lol: Awesome gig.

The Skids, Into The Valley

Coincidentally I saw them on Friday night and was shouting out "Albert Tatlock!" along with everyone else  :lol: Awesome gig.

Yep, very good. I saw them live on 'The Absolute Game' tour ca 1981, our gang shouted for it and they refused to play it. There were quite a few new romantic hairstyles in the audience, the band seemed to be trying to reposition themselves somewhat away from their fans of the previous couple of years. That didn't end well...still got the limited edition LP ('Strength through Joy') that came out free with the Absolute game, hope one day it might prove to be worth something. Only ever played it once though, it was rubbish....

• Like 1

Two songs from a US rock artist, now no longer with us. 

1989 and 1991.

Titles clue:  the first may be the unfortunate consequence of the second.

26 minutes ago, Toast said:

Two songs from a US rock artist, now no longer with us. 

1989 and 1991.

Titles clue:  the first may be the unfortunate consequence of the second.

Tom petty

Free Falling.

Learning to Fly.

Spot on.

Anagram this.

"Gee! a cheap vaccine",

32 minutes ago, redrumours said:

Anagram this.

"Gee! a cheap vaccine",

Give Peace A Chance - John Lennon

Give peace a chance.

Sadly there are many anagram solvers out there. Makes setting something not instantly solvable online quite hard :S

And whilst I'm adding the explanation, Deathers sneaks in under the wire ^_^

4 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Give peace a chance.

Sadly there are many anagram solvers out there. Makes setting something not instantly solvable online quite hard :S

And whilst I'm adding the explanation, Deathers sneaks in under the wire ^_^

To be fair, I didn't actually use an anagram solver. I realised peace was in there and it was the first song to come to mind. Couple of seconds to check the other words and boom.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deathray said:

To be fair, I didn't actually use an anagram solver

Wasn't suggesting you did old chap. Simply that it's altogether a non-starter where online quizzes are concerned because any old numbnuts such as my good self can cut and paste into one.

• Like 1

Correct. Won't do it again then.