King Charles III

1 hour ago, Sod's Law said:

What's the butterfly there for? 

It's the best part of the picture!

• Like 1

This is my favourite take on that portrait:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got my first coin with the King`s head on it today.

20240517_194852.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sean said:

20240517_194852.jpg

Despite living in an area full of British tourists (and Canadians) for at least 40% of the year, I've not seen anyone drop one of these yet. Or any with him mum on it either. I need one for my collection though.

13 hours ago, Sean said:

Now you need the other one.  There are two different ones knocking around.

image.jpeg.0dbd3f7b86159b7fafbb297dd9e3f0c8.jpeg  image.jpeg.e3846507cc22780244adc2781f04ab89.jpeg

Look out for this one which will be the new normal 50p.

image.jpeg.ea991327d47569ce87ded46bb25958da.jpeg

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Now you need the other one.  There are two different ones knocking around.

image.jpeg.0dbd3f7b86159b7fafbb297dd9e3f0c8.jpeg  image.jpeg.e3846507cc22780244adc2781f04ab89.jpeg

Look out for this one which will be the new normal 50p.

image.jpeg.ea991327d47569ce87ded46bb25958da.jpeg

The one he's shown the obverse of is the coronation 50p. It's actually quite a nice design imo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

The one he's shown the obverse of is the coronation 50p. It's actually quite a nice design imo.

There is also a collector's version with a crowned head.  NIFC (not intended for circulation) but occasionally they escape, so worth looking out for.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

There is also a collector's version with a crowned head.  NIFC (not intended for circulation) but occasionally they escape, so worth looking out for.

There are dozens of non-circulating coins that they've churned out in recent years as a money-making ploy. Very much devalues the hobby and puts people off wanting to bother collecting.

16 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

There are dozens of non-circulating coins that they've churned out in recent years as a money-making ploy. Very much devalues the hobby and puts people off wanting to bother collecting.

Yes, I agree.  We haven't had a circulating commemorative £2 coin since 2016 (Great Fire Of London).

The NIFCs do leak sometimes though.  There's a fellow on Youtube who regularly gets multiple bags of coins from the bank and they have yielded a few. eg Agatha Christie, HG Wells.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Yes, I agree.  We haven't had a circulating commemorative £2 coin since 2016 (Great Fire Of London).

The NIFCs do leak sometimes though.  There's a fellow on Youtube who regularly gets multiple bags of coins from the bank and they have yielded a few. eg Agatha Christie, HG Wells.

That guy is one of the biggest twonks on youtube. Exactly what is wrong with "collectors" nowadays. I saw a video once where he was showing off his "collection", proudly boasting "I've got 574 Sherlock Holmes 50ps!", "369 Miss Tiggy-Winkles!" etc. Yeah, good for you. That's not a collection, it's a hoard. A high-standard collection doesn't contain masses of the same coin, especially common ones. He could release 99% of them back in to the wild, giving other people the chance to find them and also giving him funds to buy much nicer coins but no, he would prefer to just sit on a pointless hoard. 

I shudder to think how many really nice coins he's ruined with fingerprints because apparently he can afford to hoard thousands of pounds of coins but can't spare a tenner for some gloves to handle them.

There seems to be some definite interest in coins in this forum (and even a few fairly avid collectors), perhaps people would appreciate a coin thread? Anyone on board?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Obit said:

I saw a video once where he was showing off his "collection", proudly boasting "I've got 574 Sherlock Holmes 50ps!", "369 Miss Tiggy-Winkles!" etc. Yeah, good for you. That's not a collection, it's a hoard. A high-standard collection doesn't contain masses of the same coin, especially common ones. He could release 99% of them back in to the wild, giving other people the chance to find them and also giving him funds to buy much nicer coins but no, he would prefer to just sit on a pointless hoard.

Really? I've watched a few of his videos (it's strangely compulsive watching someone go through bags of coins) and I haven't got that impression.  He does say he keeps the Christopher Ironside coins because his name is also Christopher, but admits it's a silly habit.  But I understood him to say that everything else gets put back into circulation.   He keeps a count on certain coins, but I think that's just to track how often they turn up.

I'm not really a coin collector, I just collect the different designs.  Not interested in buying the collector's items,  it's the fun of finding them 'in the wild' that I like.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

Really? I've watched a few of his videos (it's strangely compulsive watching someone go through bags of coins) and I haven't got that impression.  He does say he keeps the Christopher Ironside coins because his name is also Christopher, but admits it's a silly habit.  But I understood him to say that everything else gets put back into circulation.   He keeps a count on certain coins, but I think that's just to track how often they turn up.

I'm not really a coin collector, I just collect the different designs.  Not interested in buying the collector's items,  it's the fun of finding them 'in the wild' that I like.

Watch the circulated 50ps part of this video especially My Whole Coin Collection!!! 4 Years Of Christopher Collects!!! - YouTube (36:33 onwards). Way, way more than any one person needs. He jokes about "having a problem", but this is seriously in the realms of needing actual help for a hoarding problem.

Ah right, that's ridiculous, and it must add up to quite a lot of spendable money tied up there.  I've only looked at recent videos. Perhaps he's changed his MO.

I've still not seen any apart from the coronation commemorative coin I ordered direct from the Royal Mint. 

I don't know if this actually means anything tangible but King Charles has just taken the patronage of the Royal Automobile Club, replacing Prince Michael of Kent.

Would the King take up a patronage if his time is limited? Is Prince Michael just winding down or does he have something more sinister?

Or am I reading bollocks into a simple.announcement. (Most probably)

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/rb4EyKTXxSq3ud6v/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Master Obit said:

That guy is one of the biggest twonks on youtube. Exactly what is wrong with "collectors" nowadays. I saw a video once where he was showing off his "collection", proudly boasting "I've got 574 Sherlock Holmes 50ps!", "369 Miss Tiggy-Winkles!" etc. Yeah, good for you. That's not a collection, it's a hoard. A high-standard collection doesn't contain masses of the same coin, especially common ones. He could release 99% of them back in to the wild, giving other people the chance to find them and also giving him funds to buy much nicer coins but no, he would prefer to just sit on a pointless hoard. 

I have a decent commemorative coin collection (mainly I pillage local coin shops and market stalls and see what takes my fancy) from the UK and abroad but I generally make it my mission not to buy two of the same. Really don't understand people who buy multiple of the same coin. Who has the space?

9 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I don't know if this actually means anything tangible but King Charles has just taken the patronage of the Royal Automobile Club, replacing Prince Michael of Kent.

Would the King take up a patronage if his time is limited? Is Prince Michael just winding down or does he have something more sinister?

Or am I reading bollocks into a simple.announcement. (Most probably)

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/rb4EyKTXxSq3ud6v/

I doubt he'd take it up if he knew he was going to die soon. His mother was actively shedding patronages for years before she died... The King would have known he could have given this to one of the other royals if time was short, no?

21 minutes ago, Comped said:

I doubt he'd take it up if he knew he was going to die soon. His mother was actively shedding patronages for years before she died... The King would have known he could have given this to one of the other royals if time was short, no?

Well, that's what I thought. The Queen and Prince Philip were doing that and Anne, Edward, William and Catherine taking them over.

You Brits can follow the health of your Royals more keenly than us foreigners, but I recall someone here saying that Prince Michael is not exactly a spring chicken anymore but fading away, just like his elder brother and sister. So in this case I would be more worried about the younger Kent's health than that of The King. And of course Prince Michael and his wife are having great sorrow in the family as well.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2024 at 17:55, Master Obit said:

There seems to be some definite interest in coins in this forum (and even a few fairly avid collectors), perhaps people would appreciate a coin thread? Anyone on board?

I would definitely be interested in that, and yes I agree about the hoarders. People boasting on SM about how many alphabet 10ps they've got, etc. 

I've got a couple of the 2022 50ps, got one in change in the pub and one from a vending machine. Prior to that I bought a couple on ebay - £3 each - and gave one to my partner. Don't need any more than that. 

• Like 1

Sourced this morning. Doesn't he look thrilled? 

20240605_110823.jpg

He knows why you’re about to roll up that note and he doesn’t approve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TQR said:

He knows why you’re about to roll up that note and he doesn’t approve.

Might be why you use them, but I've always favoured something softer for that activity.

Oh, wait, you meant drug snorting didn't you?

• Haha 1

There was a queue at the Bank of England this morning for people to exchange their old QEII notes for new ones. Apparently the first was a coin dealer who has a shop near Leicester Square. So, if you want to know where to pick these up for only ten times face value, you know where to go!