Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Don't forget a lot of his law firm's earnings came from their work for Microsoft (i.e. via his son). So while as joint of owner of a law firm he would have had a few mill to give away in any case, this would be pretty small scale philanthropy compared to what he was able to do because of his son.

• Like 1

Talking about hypotheticals of “had he never had a famous son” is pointless. He’s famous in his own right.

Jack, Kelly and Sharon only became known personalities because of Ozzy Osbourne. They’re still famous in their own right.

I trust the ppl running the DDP to use good judgment in measuring fame but if anyone is submitting names and wants a benchmark, then pose the question “would they be permitted a Wikipedia page in their own right”? In the case of Bill Gates Sr, Philippe de Gaulle, even Marilyn Monroe’s living half sister (who is noted for her memoirs), the answer is yes. In the instance of Katie Price’s mum who got invited on to daytime telly to talk about tit surgery, the answer is blatantly no.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Youth in Asia said:

Don't forget a lot of his law firm's earnings came from their work for Microsoft (i.e. via his son). So while as joint of owner of a law firm he would have had a few mill to give away in any case, this would be pretty small scale philanthropy compared to what he was able to do because of his son.

You’re spunking the legitimacy of your whole argument up the wall going off on one about Bill Gates Sr, rather than successfully trying to establish a case of notability for Katie Price’s mum. :rolleyes:

Growing up I remember these career-related posters which cited Bill Gates as an inspirational case as despite dropping out of college, he was so motivated that he still achieved great success in life and became one of the richest men in the world.

What they neglected to mention was Bill Gates had a dad who was already very rich to give him a head start! :D

• Like 1

There are probably several being entered who are eligible in their own right but only get an obituary through being related to someone more famous.

Sally Sheridan for example - would be a much riskier obit but for her more famous daughter. 

31 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Seriously, trying to bend the anti-FFBI rules is really bad form. I was once invited on to Blue Peter to talk about a local charity effort. It didn’t make me a fucking philanthropist of note.

C7000CC6-B6BC-44C3-AF91-14D96657B7D4.jpeg

For clarifying example as way of agreement, let me bring up Spade's 2021 team, and two picks in particular.

Firstly, Gary Player's wife, as interesting as she was to gossip pages due to being Mrs Player, was still deemed to have little actual notability in her own right, so DQ'd. And replaced by a musician. 

Secondly, however, the case of Zoe Davison, who was banned and then unbanned. At first, she seemed a "mother of the vaguely famous" pick. But then Spade pointed us in the direct of evidence for her actual fame (references to horses she had trained and being cited in the Racing Post as being the owner of various winners from the previous year alone for example) and we accepted that, even if we hadn't heard of her, she clearly had some notability within her field. And then she died and got obits from all the major news sources in the UK pretty much instantly. 

But I'm sure most deadpoolers have someone like that on their shortlist - obscure but notable. Because notable but maybe obscure can provide interest. A few years ago Reptile picked an award winning women's Gaelic football coach. I didn't even know Ireland had women's Gaelic football, let alone award ceremonies for it! That was interesting. The old submarine commodore who was Britain's scrabble champion and had an OBE for childrens charity work? That's interesting. The British wine expert who was crowned the best in Europe shortly before coming down with cancer? That's an interesting story.

Jordan's mum is not. 

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You’re spunking the legitimacy of your whole argument up the wall going off on one about Bill Gates Sr, rather than successfully trying to establish a case of notability for Katie Price’s mum. :rolleyes:

The big flaw in citing Bill Gates's dad is that he died in 2020, before the FFBI bar came in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

For clarifying example as way of agreement, let me bring up Spade's 2021 team, and two picks in particular.

Firstly, Gary Player's wife, as interesting as she was to gossip pages due to being Mrs Player, was still deemed to have little actual notability in her own right, so DQ'd. And replaced by a musician. 

Secondly, however, the case of Zoe Davison, who was banned and then unbanned. At first, she seemed a "mother of the vaguely famous" pick. But then Spade pointed us in the direct of evidence for her actual fame (references to horses she had trained and being cited in the Racing Post as being the owner of various winners from the previous year alone for example) and we accepted that, even if we hadn't heard of her, she clearly had some notability within her field. And then she died and got obits from all the major news sources in the UK pretty much instantly. 

But I'm sure most deadpoolers have someone like that on their shortlist - obscure but notable. Because notable but maybe obscure can provide interest. A few years ago Reptile picked an award winning women's Gaelic football coach. I didn't even know Ireland had women's Gaelic football, let alone award ceremonies for it! That was interesting. The old submarine commodore who was Britain's scrabble champion and had an OBE for childrens charity work? That's interesting. The British wine expert who was crowned the best in Europe shortly before coming down with cancer? That's an interesting story.

Jordan's mum is not. 

The big flaw in citing Bill Gates's dad is that he died in 2020, before the FFBI bar came in. 

Imagine if it was in, he was rejected and then appeared on the main list.

Considering how many teams she was on this year has anyone tried to still enter Amy Price?

How many of this entries will now be banned by this  tightening of the rules.

FWIW I would be OK with Gates Sr as a DDP pick, he is on that "high pedigree" of fringe picks (the Wiki page point is a salient one).

The reason he is such a lightning rod name is moreso his past presence on the DL which most of us agree shouldn't have any fringey names even if they're the type that's still OK for the DDP. The same sense in which it was completely fine to risk it on someone unlikely to obit (but still notable for doing something beyond having cancer) in the DDP with Fergie Frederiksen but he was rightly mocked as a DL pick!

I was  delighted when the DDP Committee approved my choice of John  Ward. Father of Julie Ward a British lady murdered in Kenya in 1988 and he has campaigned for decades  in the media to get the case solved.

It was a very prominent murder case and news story for years here in the UK. 

14 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I was  delighted when the DDP Committee approved my choice of John  Ward. Father of Julie Ward a British lady murdered in Kenya in 1988 and he has campaigned for decades  in the media to get the case solved.

It was a very prominent murder case and news story for years here in the UK. 

Among the tidbits msc told me once I was officially selected as his successor was that a pick by you (Ward) was one of the most difficult fame decisions for the committee!

Never would've guessed you'd be the root of that in 100 years!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Among the tidbits msc told me once I was officially selected as his successor was that a pick by you (Ward) was one of the most difficult fame decisions for the committee!

Never would've guessed you'd be the root of that in 100 years!

Gosh infamy of a kind!!!

Although in truth as I'm sure @msc will confirm virtually all of my other picks caused zero issue at all and we're pretty straightforward  in terms of qualifying. 

Yes, I put in ages of research into that pick to work out if it was acceptable or not. The pains of being fair in judgement! :D

Reminded me of the time the WWE got banned from a Christian Centre for shows because Mick Foley swore during the show. "You were the last person we expected any trouble from!" laughed Vince McMahon to him afterwards!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, I put in ages of research into that pick to work out if it was acceptable or not. The pains of being fair in judgement! :D

Reminded me of the time the WWE got banned from a Christian Centre for shows because Mick Foley swore during the show. "You were the last person we expected any trouble from!" laughed Vince McMahon to him afterwards!

Well if its any comfort I think the right judgement  call was made on John Ward!

As far as I know unless @Death Impends knows otherwise none of my picks this year, despite all being amazing!- caused any controversy, difficulties or agonising?!  

15 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Well if its any comfort I think the right judgement  call was made on John Ward!

As far as I know unless @Death Impends knows otherwise none of my picks this year, despite all being amazing!- caused any controversy, difficulties or agonising?!  

As stands I don't know who picked any names subject to committee rulings, just who the picks are.

Not gonna say who, or even what the ruling was, but I was part of a 2-1 verdict on a name a week or so back and it was one of those cool little "oh eck, I really am a co-host now" moments!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

As stands I don't know who picked any names subject to committee rulings, just who the picks are.

Not gonna say who, or even what the ruling was, but I was part of a 2-1 verdict on a name a week or so back and it was one of those cool little "oh eck, I really am a co-host now" moments!

Ooh I know I can't ask any more that would be wrong so I won't  but you have got me curious! 

Roll on January 1st!

4 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Ooh I know I can't ask any more that would be wrong so I won't  but you have got me curious! 

Roll on January 1st!

Under 83 hours to go! :o

• Like 1

Predictions for the 2022 DDP: very high-scoring year, due to a number of imminently playable sub-50-year-old names floating about. However, I'm also expecting it to be one of the least diverse DDPs of all-time at the top end, as I can see all the challenger teams sharing at least... 10 names? The whole tournament could well be decided on someone who finishes 145th selecting celebrity X over celebrity Y and sending them into 40th place on the Drop 40.

Also will definitely be annoyed if anyone picks [father of British reality TV graduate turned TV presenter] on the grounds he was a famous musician beforehand, when they didn't even release a single or have any notability outside of "here's a list of 500 Merseybeat bands" wiki pages.

8 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Predictions for the 2022 DDP: very high-scoring year, due to a number of imminently playable sub-50-year-old names floating about. However, I'm also expecting it to be one of the least diverse DDPs of all-time at the top end, as I can see all the challenger teams sharing at least... 10 names? The whole tournament could well be decided on someone who finishes 145th selecting celebrity X over celebrity Y and sending them into 40th place on the Drop 40.

Oh I'm expecting the opposite in terms of diverse picks!! I have worked very hard to be diverse in my three Crumble Teams. 

I have completed the excels sheet for my main team but am waiting till Friday morning because I don’t want to be caught out by late news as I was with Bob Hawke a few years back 

The only teams I will submit today is Alt in case anyone is rejected. 

I would agree with the high-scoring part. More like 2017 than 2018. Not sure about the readily playable sub-50s, unless one goes with a probabilistic approach like "50% of those will be a hit - which is fine enough".

Do all picks have to have publicly available birth year. One of my shortlist doesn’t as they haven’t been famous for that long but they do pass the fame barrier easily.

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Urgent question, in view of the new rules can I pick Amy Price (and get points) or not? I don't think she's done much except being a celebrity's mother, but then again Bill Gates Sr?

Sorry, I'm still not clear about this. I've got three in my draft team who are all relatives of celebrities. Rules state: "the parents and siblings of celebrities are technically a grey area, but I feel most of them can be run through the 6 check points above" with check point 1 being "Are they notable for anything other than being ill, at least at a local level?" Well, yes, they're notable for being relatives of celebrities. So is the official line that that's not enough? That 'notable' has to mean independent of their relative..? Thanks.

• Like 2