Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Thanks Spade!

George Caley and George B. Caley are, unfortunately, the same.

Who is George Caley? I have been trying to Google research but not getting anything. 

• Like 1

I’m rather surprised no one took the baton for my discovery Gautam Dhingra.  His death should come soon, and probably gets a Chicago Tribune obit. But those who advanced clearly know better than SirC. Still…

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I’m rather surprised no one took the baton for my discovery Gautam Dhingra.  His death should come soon, and probably gets a Chicago Tribune obit. But those who advanced clearly know better than SirC. Still…

Did you discover him on my death race team?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:
  • Samuel Durrance    GCR*, BAN*
  •  

Don’t know who he is but he’s not seeing June.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Don’t know who he is but he’s not seeing June.

Would’ve picked somebody else but he’s a guaranteed obit

6 hours ago, Banana said:

My pick Jay Mala died on April 26th with this report from yesterday being the only news I can find on it. https://www.freepressjournal.in/india/jknpp-supremo-bhim-singhs-son-urges-home-ministry-to-allow-him-visit-india-to-cremate-deceased-mother

I assume that means my top sub comes in

Yep, can't find any earlier references, will alter the line-ups accordingly.

To use a footballing metaphor, hunger strikers for deadpoolers are like Eredivisie top scorers to Premier League teams - they always promise so much but usually deliver fuck-all squared. However, in Khader Adnan alt obits guy found more of a Luis Suarez than a Vincent Janssen. Adnan was a spokesman for Palestinian Islamic Jihad who had spent most of the past 12 years in and out of administrative detention in Israel, and was on his third major hunger strike when his tummy finally gave up this time out. aog goes four up over GUN.

alt obits guy 4 vs Grim Up North 0

DevonDeathTrip 0 vs An Fear Baeg 0
gcreptile 0 vs deadsox 0

Banana 0 vs wannamaker 0

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 30/04/2023 at 22:30, Grim Up North said:

Good luck AOB.

Jeez - hunger striker actually dies - is it too late to take this back? :D

50 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Jeez - hunger striker actually dies - is it too late to take this back? :D

:rolleyes:

18 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Khader Adnan is the first hit of the round:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/02/palestinian-khader-adnan-dies-in-israel-jail-after-87-day-hunger-strike

I didn't think anyone would actually hunger-strike to death.

It’s such an outlier it won’t move the bar for me.  I refuse to use them, or almost any prisoner.  They need to be very compelling.

This one says he's not dead and recovering nicely.  I don't know who to believe.

No difference between me and the Reptile since we both have him.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tamil/movies/news/sarath-babu-is-not-dead-hes-alive-and-recovering-says-family/articleshow/99967051.cms

5 minutes ago, deadsox said:

This one says he's not dead and recovering nicely.  I don't know who to believe.

No difference between me and the Reptile since we both have him.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tamil/movies/news/sarath-babu-is-not-dead-hes-alive-and-recovering-says-family/articleshow/99967051.cms

Oh yes, the headlines still show up, but the articles have changed... oh India....

I believe Vicky Wright has died if it is the Vicky Wright (daughter of Wolves legend Billy) 

Up until a few days ago, the extent of most people's knowledge about Bobby Davro's sex life was that he banged his best friend's wife while said best friend was bed-ridden from MS upstairs. However, deadpoolers learned last week that he was married to someone called Vicky Wright, that Vicky Wright was the daughter of Billy Wright, that she had toured with a stage show sharing anecdotes about her father's life so she had some independent claim to fame, and that she had stage 4 pancreatic cancer. DevonDeathTrip was the only one to take a punt on her this month though, rolling the dice with a captain pick as well, leaving An Fear Baeg feeling like someone has put them in a pair of stocks with their trousers around their ankles. Oh Bobby....

DevonDeathTrip 8 vs An Fear Baeg 0
gcreptile 0 vs deadsox 0

Banana 0 vs wannamaker 0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

On 01/05/2023 at 00:19, Captain Hemlock said:

Congratulations to @An Fear Beag. You are a great deadpooler and I wish you success the rest of the way.

Thanks for the kind words, Captain. I haven't been much of a deadpooler in this competition so far - two one-hit wins. The luck of the draw has bailed me out on both occasions- however it seems like ,my luck is about to run out :(

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 14:10, Steve said:

Who is George Caley? I have been trying to Google research but not getting anything. 

I think that should tell you everything you need to know about the level of "fame" he has. I came across him when looking for names, and immediately rejected him on the basis that he probably less famous than I am! My own fault for not including him. I have been playing this pool for long enough to know that the way to deal with non-entities is to try to sneak them in at the last minute in the hope that the host is asleep at the wheel. 

5 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

I think that should tell you everything you need to know about the level of "fame" he has. I came across him when looking for names, and immediately rejected him on the basis that he probably less famous than I am! My own fault for not including him. I have been playing this pool for long enough to know that the way to deal with non-entities is to try to sneak them in at the last minute in the hope that the host is asleep at the wheel. 

Actually I send Spade any names I think are borderline and he responds promptly yes or no.  I don’t try ‘sneaking’ anyone.

Samuel T. Durrance was an astronomer who became the 243rd person into space, and one of the first non-career astronauts to enter orbit after the Challenger disaster unsurprisingly put the kibbosh on that for a few years. He'd suffered from dementia and Parkinson's in recent years, and a fall at a care home at the end of last month put him on the radars of two Cup teams. Banana and gcreptile both get a captain hit, and as a result we have no more scoreless ties.

DevonDeathTrip 8 vs An Fear Baeg 0
gcreptile 6 vs deadsox 0

Banana 6 vs wannamaker 0

• Like 2

That was a great pick by those two.  When I saw the joker designation by these two great deadpoolers, I had to find the source, which I believe was a FB post on April 28 him going into hospice.  A fantastic find, well done.

58 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That was a great pick by those two.  When I saw the joker designation by these two great deadpoolers, I had to find the source, which I believe was a FB post on April 28 him going into hospice.  A fantastic find, well done.

Absolutely agree. In fact the three hits so far have been superb selections- top quality dead-pooling.

We have all learned over the years to give hunger-strikers and political prisoners a wide berth, so picking out Khader Adnan from all the others that have gone before was a great pick.

We had all seen the news on Vicky Wright, but didn't read into it that she was actually at deaths door. To not only select her, but make her the Joker, was an absolute balls-out move by my opponent @DevonDeathTrip- a decision that deserves to win any cup match (and likely will). 

Like all other players, once I saw that Durrance had been jokered by @gcreptileand @Banana, I knew that I had missed a big trick, and so it proved. It didn't come up on my radar at all, so kudos to the two top-class deadpoolers who picked him.

Its a long uphill battle for my team from here, but I will not give up quite yet. I think my hopes will mostly rely on how honest Sarath Babu's family are being about his condition, and whether Beverly Shade is actually dying or not. An article mentioned hospice, but I suspect it is more the Malachy McCourt./Jimmy Carter type, rather than the Samuel Durrance, "Don't bother unpacking your pyjamas" type of hospice admission. Time will tell. 

• Like 1