drol

49. Franz Beckenbauer

20 hours ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Not only the greatest German player of all time but arguably also the greatest European player of all time. By changing how the sweeper/central defender role is played he completely revolutionized the game, which is something only a very, very small group of players can say. The fact that some people on this forum have never heard of him but probably have heard of Harry Maguire and John Stones makes me sad. RIP.

Am old enough to have watched some of his career and sure he was a good defender but not a patch on players like Maldini, Baresi, Van Dijk, etc he was good but think he is being overhyped a bit

• Like 1

My Inverse team keeps taking on water!

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 01:01, BonScott said:

Am old enough to have watched some of his career and sure he was a good defender but not a patch on players like Maldini, Baresi, Van Dijk, etc he was good but think he is being overhyped a bit

Well he was never really a defender like Baresi and Maldini (yeah I refuse to put that last, one season wonder in the same sentence as these legends).

As I said, Beckenbauer's importance resides in the fact that he changed how the role of sweeper is played by INVENTING and perfecting the libero role (think Baresi, Busquets and Xavi all rolled into one player).

That, in addition to his individual and club/country silverware, makes him the greatest European player of all time, imo only Johann Cruyff comes close.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 04:47, drol said:

Do you think he will QO?

Not only did he do that, he was apparently important enough to be featured on Wikipedia's main page.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Not only did he do that, he was apparently important enough to be featured on Wikipedia's main page.

I think drol was taking the piss, probably out of TOC who normally asks that question on every thread.

• Like 2