drol

49. Franz Beckenbauer

Greatest German footballer to ever live, now in poor health and unable to attend both the World Cup and Pelé's funeral. Though he is very private on his health issues, he has recently revealed he is "doing well considering his condition", which is not so reassuring. Also looking very thin and yellowish. 80 seems a tall order.

Auftritt mit Ehefrau und Sohn: "Wenn es so bleibt, bin ich zufrieden"

• Like 4

Hope he's alright. I remember my dad telling me about meeting him once, sounded like a sound guy

As I said, recent pictures have looked pretty ominous. On Christmas, my mother saw the pictures and suspected he's going to die soon. I also think there's a substantial probability. The cancellation of the trip came after that.

He's been ill for quite some time, but that could have been because of a corruption trial. It was hard to figure out what was going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

As I said, recent pictures have looked pretty ominous. On Christmas, my mother saw the pictures and suspected he's going to die soon. I also think there's a substantial probability. The cancellation of the trip came after that.

He's been ill for quite some time, but that could have been because of a corruption trial. It was hard to figure out what was going on.

Which is presumably why you picked him in the latest Scavenger Hunt round. ;) Good find!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, drol said:

Greatest German footballer to ever live, now in poor health and unable to attend both the World Cup and Pelé's funeral. Though he is very private on his health issues, he has recently revealed he is "doing well considering his condition", which is not so reassuring. Also looking very thin and yellowish. 80 seems a tall order.

Auftritt mit Ehefrau und Sohn: "Wenn es so bleibt, bin ich zufrieden"

Both he and Bobby Charlton playing the last of those added on minutes.

• Like 1

In failing health according to Lorhar Matthaus.

• Like 1

If I had to guess, he's suffering from heart failure and every little bit of stress could kill him. Suffering from heart failure is an underrated deadpooling search target.

• Like 2

2024 Top 50 material.

• Like 1

Saw something on X about best World Cup Themes (My personal favourite is Aztec Gold (ITV 1986), ahead of Argentine Melody (BBC 1978), but both Italia 90 themes are pretty good.)

When looking at the opening credits of Italia 1990 for ITV, surely old Franz is f****d through this alone, irrespective of any health issues.

2023 Charlton

2022 Pele

2020 Maradona, Rossi 

2016 Cruyff

Franz is last man standing. Sorry for shaky video, it was the best one I could find.

Maybe there's a theme team to be had here. The curse of World Cup theme music is not to be ignored (large Italian fan 1978, Ray Wilkins 1986, Gianluca Vialli 1990, Alan McLoughlin (original), Rashidi Yekini (revised) 1994), however Menotti lives on from 1978...

• Like 1

There'll be a documentary about him released in January:

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/fussball/franz-beckenbauer-geht-es-nicht-gut-bruder-walter-spricht-in-neuer-doku-86559438.bild.html

There are some quotes on his health, like "He's not doing well", "constant up-and-down", etc...

They don't say what's actually wrong with him though. Still, they don't exclude the possibility that he might be getting better. That, in my opinion, rules out dementia/Alzheimer's. My theory, as mentioned before, is heart failure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

There'll be a documentary about him released in January:

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/fussball/franz-beckenbauer-geht-es-nicht-gut-bruder-walter-spricht-in-neuer-doku-86559438.bild.html

There are some quotes on his health, like "He's not doing well", "constant up-and-down", etc...

They don't say what's actually wrong with him though. Still, they don't exclude the possibility that he might be getting better. That, in my opinion, rules out dementia/Alzheimer's. My theory, as mentioned before, is heart failure.

Any evidence of any of his German contemporaries appearing as talking heads in this documentary? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Any evidence of any of his German contemporaries appearing as talking heads in this documentary? 

Not that I can see so far.

• Like 1

In very delicate condition and no improvement is expected.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The documentary is being released today. He doesn't appear in it in his current shape.

• Like 3

Fastest third DL hit ever.

• Like 11

Wow! Impressive.

If it wasn't for this site, I would have had no knowledge of the three hits so far. People that have never crossed into my world.

RIP all the same, working hard to feel less indifferent about this quick start.

• Like 4

3 in 8 days, the grim reaper has been in fine form

• Like 4

RIP to a man who, even by the high standards of 20th century footballing legends that went into the administration side of the game, took a shitload of bribes.

• Shocked 1

At this rate (3 hits in 8 days) the entire DL will be dead by May 14, 2024, or, as most people will know it, the 5th anniversary of Grumpy Cat's death.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Rest in peace Der Kaiser. What a player 

• Like 1