Ours was real, as I recognised the name of a couple of his nominees, and assumed, correctly, that he was a member of the cricket club they both volunteer at.

10 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Regarding who will lead the Tories now that Hunt has ruled himself out. 

I think they will need to go for someone who is not closely associated with the previous Government.

A large initial field will be unlikely because there are only 131 people to nominate.

Interesting that Jenrick is on BBC and Braverman is on GB News this morning.

The ideal candidate at the moment is someone who will hold Starmer to account at PMQs on policy and substance 

Laura Kuenssberg, then

• Haha 4

A strange stat from the election - there is now only one Football League team -Bromley FC - based in a Conservative constituency.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 3

3 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

A strange stat from the election - there is now only one Football League team -Bromley FC - based in a Conservative constituency.

To be clear, they're newbies widely believed to be punching above their weight simply by being an EFL outfit, Carlisle and 23 other clubs will be unleashed on these minnows (I've only been to Bromley once, very compact and bijou ground), so it's entirely possible that the next 12 months will see all links between Conservatism and senior football severed. That'd mean we would - literally - be kicking Conservatism out of the Football League!

12 hours ago, Sleepiestpeep said:

There's a Glasgow reform candidate, Helen Burns, being discussed in the same way over on reels/tiktok.

Finding it particularly fascinating that two of the candidates I've seen this accusation for make up part of reform's already pitifully small pool of female candidates...

Byline times is following up this story

I am not quite sure if they are suggesting something unethical or an actual breach of Election rules

If the latter, could it give some Tories whose margin of loss was lower than the Reform vote grounds for appeal?

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Byline times is following up this story

I am not quite sure if they are suggesting something unethical or an actual breach of Election rules

If the latter, could it give some Tories whose margin of loss was lower than the Reform vote grounds for appeal?

I'm not a massive expert here but talking to the young 'un, who is, yeah, definitely. If you stand candidates who don't exist that could open up a whole bag of possibilities. The Gibraltarian is a different situation, they could always claim they'd have moved if elected. 

• Like 1

For real, apparently

449998898_10160132392643589_367384309209

• Haha 2

On 07/07/2024 at 13:41, Bibliogryphon said:

Also seen a suggestion on X that at least one reform candidate was a paper only candidate 

On 07/07/2024 at 14:15, Handrejka said:

Raymond Peters? 

This is in the constituency I grew up in so I am always to see what is going on there. 

On 07/07/2024 at 17:29, Bibliogryphon said:

No as I understand it this was North Northumberland.  The are no photographs or social media footprint for the alleged candidate and they were not at the count.

It is possible that they are real enough for data verification purposes but did not campaign or expect to win

On 07/07/2024 at 17:38, Handrejka said:

It's the same story with Mr Peters, no photo, no social media,  e-mails unanswered, neither he nor his agent were at the count.  It seems like there may be a few cases.

On 07/07/2024 at 20:48, Sleepiestpeep said:

There's a Glasgow reform candidate, Helen Burns, being discussed in the same way over on reels/tiktok.

Finding it particularly fascinating that two of the candidates I've seen this accusation for make up part of reform's already pitifully small pool of female candidates...

Richard Tice currently on Peston being predictably 'outraged' at this and describing the Guardian's allegations as libellous (I'm sure they look forward to seeing you in court, Richard :rolleyes:). Claims one of those accused (maybe Peters, he didn't specify) was ill in hospital with pneumonia and nearly died. Time will tell...

4 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Richard Tice currently on Peston being predictably 'outraged' at this and describing the Guardian's allegations as libellous (I'm sure they look forward to seeing you in court, Richard :rolleyes:). Claims on of those accused (maybe Peters, he didn't specify) was ill in hospital with pneumonia and nearly died. Time will tell...

Just like Farage. Will mouth off but won't go legal in the end because it would mean discovery

Bob Blackman has narrowly won the race to be chairman of the 1922 committee which seems to have upset everyone's favourite backbencher Marc Francois

He can now get on with the task in hand of how to elect a new leader of the Conservative party

It's great that we can finally enjoy the shitshow of the Tories without also thinking these cunts are also in charge

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Bob Blackman has narrowly won the race to be chairman of the 1922 committee which seems to have upset everyone's favourite backbencher Marc Francois

What? The chap who used to sing Mule Train whilst hitting himself on the head with a tin tea tray?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He can now get on with the task in hand of how to elect a new leader of the Conservative party

So, Blackman's saying his majority was such that there's no need to re-run it despite the tonnage of MPs who got the wrong time and were ruled out of voting

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, Blackman's saying his majority was such that there's no need to re-run it despite the tonnage of MPs who got the wrong time and were ruled out of voting

He got 61 of 98 votes cast. That means there are 23 votes outstanding, which technically means he can't be overhauled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JQW said:

What? The chap who used to sing Mule Train whilst hitting himself on the head with a tin tea tray?

My mum adores this clip. :lol:

44 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

He got 61 of 98 votes cast. That means there are 23 votes outstanding, which technically means he can't be overhauled.

Ooh it's nice to have a reminder that there are only 121 of the fuckers left :)

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, TQR said:

I'm catching up on Newscasts from election weekend and have noted with pleasure that it will take just 18 Tory MPs to launch a leadership challenge and that they don't have enough MPs to cover all their Shadow Cabinet and Committee roles without doubling up. :lol:

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, TQR said:

Aye, and that's before the infighting over the next leader spawns defections left and right

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, and that's before the infighting over the next leader spawns defections left and right

Just for fun, the Tories need to shed a net 44 seats to the Lib Dems to become the third party. Worth keeping an eye on if the party lurches right or centre in the leadership election. Either the nutters jump ship to Reform or the moderates join the Lib Dems. That could be fun. Of course, if they jump ship to the Lib Dems, it would only take 23 defections for the roles to reverse. :D

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Just for fun, the Tories need to shed a net 44 seats to the Lib Dems to become the third party. Worth keeping an eye on if the party lurches right or centre in the leadership election. Either the nutters jump ship to Reform or the moderates join the Lib Dems. That could be fun. Of course, if they jump ship to the Lib Dems, it would only take 23 defections for the roles to reverse. :D

With the Tories on 121 and Lib Dems on 72, that's a 49 seat difference. This means that the Tories would need to shed 50 MPs to become the third party, or it would take 25 defections to the Lib Dems. Or am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, AstroKat said:

With the Tories on 121 and Lib Dems on 72, that's a 49 seat difference. This means that the Tories would need to shed 50 MPs to become the third party, or it would take 25 defections to the Lib Dems. Or am I missing something?

Apologies, I had it in my head the Lib Dems won 77 seats. Must've been one of the many revisions to the exit poll that we had. That would be been a 44 seat difference, hence my numbers. Will amend.

• Like 1