Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

General Election 2024?

23 minutes ago, Father Brown said:

I think the Tories are actually running out of steam. 13 years in power with multiple leadership changes and many more reshuffles means that they’re running out of people who want cabinet roles, let alone the 4 top jobs. They will want to hang onto Sunak & friends going into this election and deflect any media attention.

Likewise with Labour, they need to get a grip and stick with Starmer to get the tories out. Internal affairs can wait; I don’t see another Labour MP that could be in with a better chance. 

The Tories extinguished the last of their steam when they ousted all their MPs who refused to lie about the disastrous consequences of Brexit. Their talent pool is now a salt pan.

Starmer will start off doing as he is now, then hopefully he’ll gradually swing back towards the pledges he made during the leadership race.

• Like 1

:deathban:So that’s 3 by elections in last 24 hrs.

It’s screaming poison by Boris this… make it impossible for Rishi to survive so GE has to be called. 

Expect another few to go yet 

• Like 3

TERRIBLE day for the Tories - Rwanda policy ruled illegal, seven of their own named and shamed as harrassing the committee doing its work to bring Boris' wrongdoings to order and the meltdown in the fortunes of Thames Water isn't exactly good for their private sector running public utilities policy. 

If there's some sticker on the forward planner on the wall at Tory HQ it's likely been shoved a bit nearer January 2025 this morning

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

TERRIBLE day for the Tories - Rwanda policy ruled illegal, seven of their own named and shamed as harrassing the committee doing its work to bring Boris' wrongdoings to order and the meltdown in the fortunes of Thames Water isn't exactly good for their private sector running public utilities policy. 

If there's some sticker on the forward planner on the wall at Tory HQ it's likely been shoved a bit nearer January 2025 this morning

Hmm about the January 2025 election idea. The Tories are very into self-preservation yeah? And a large chunk of their vote is OAP postal vote. Can't see them calling an election during the worst post service of the year! Imo October 2024. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Does holding out to the last possible day make them look desperate and this would mean coming straight back after Christmas 2024 to a grueling GE campaign and most people are not at their most optimistic in January.

I think it will be October 2024 and they will try to use the party conference next year as a clean slate

Inflation may be down by then and energy prices more under control but there are London Mayoral elections in May which are currently not going well for them

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Does holding out to the last possible day make them look desperate and this would mean coming straight back after Christmas 2024 to a grueling GE campaign and most people are not at their most optimistic in January.

I think it will be October 2024 and they will try to use the party conference next year as a clean slate

Inflation may be down by then and energy prices more under control but there are London Mayoral elections in May which are currently not going well for them

Totally agree that's what they'd want but today is really bad day for them and the likes of Chris Mason have been quoting the usual unnamed sources - i.e. likely rank and file Tory MPs without the clubbability that gets the ex-public schoolers into the House of Lords and/or major directorships in companies - as being exceptionally depressed. Code, I think, for the fact the private polling run by the party is coming back with the message "they fucking hate us" and they're aware that tactical voting against the Tories could be a significant factor next time we have a GE. In which case, they might as well milk this gravy train to the end, ennoble as many of their own as time will allow and otherwise plunder the prizes, because the next government could be catalysmic for them (possible voting reform, potentially a bill attacking the current status of public schools, maybe new anti-sleaze laws). Living in interesting times, mind. Has Bojo said owt about a future appearance in the celebrity jungle yet?

15 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Totally agree that's what they'd want but today is really bad day for them and the likes of Chris Mason have been quoting the usual unnamed sources - i.e. likely rank and file Tory MPs without the clubbability that gets the ex-public schoolers into the House of Lords and/or major directorships in companies - as being exceptionally depressed. Code, I think, for the fact the private polling run by the party is coming back with the message "they fucking hate us" and they're aware that tactical voting against the Tories could be a significant factor next time we have a GE. In which case, they might as well milk this gravy train to the end, ennoble as many of their own as time will allow and otherwise plunder the prizes, because the next government could be catalysmic for them (possible voting reform, potentially a bill attacking the current status of public schools, maybe new anti-sleaze laws). Living in interesting times, mind. Has Bojo said owt about a future appearance in the celebrity jungle yet?

I am more concerned by a potential appearance in the London Mayoral Jungle contest where the current candidates are devouring their own reputations (which are slightly less palatable then Kangaroo anuses)

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am more concerned by a potential appearance in the London Mayoral Jungle contest where the current candidates are devouring their own reputations (which are slightly less palatable then Kangaroo anuses)

I'm not - for all the blather from various "supporters" that accompanies every rumour of Bojo's carefully managed comebacks the truth is he's a proven and disgraced liar, toxic to a substantial part of any electorate and recently shackled with a track record of supporters who big up his achievements and then can't be arsed to walk a few yards through a lobby to vote for him. An election defeat next time out puts Bojo in bus pass territory before any realistic chance of high political office with power and likely leaves the Tories looking for younger and considerably less tainted front benchers. Bojo's sexual incontinence and personal inconsistency has saddled him with a private life he can only maintain with workable cashflow so - for better or worse - he's basically an enterainer from here on out in my book, well paid "politcal" speeches for a while but don't rule out the jungle or Widow Twanky within a decade.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1