Sign in to follow this  
TQR

What Are We Killing & Saving Next?

The future of Kill or Save...two games at a time or just the one?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From 1990...

Terry Waite didn't trouble the charts with this, but it happened..

Brian Clough features here, number 24 in 1978...

We can't forget Arthur Mullard (however much we'd like to), number 22 in 1978...

• Thanks 1

And I found this the other day while looking for Serge Gainsbourg stuff.  Who knew.

ETA - I could have sworn that June was on the DL, but perhaps not.

@Book For your consideration (years are first appearance on DL)

From 1993

Roy Castle, Little White Berry number 40 in 1960.

George Chisholm featured musician on Join in and Sing Again, reached number 9 in 1956.

From 1994

Kenny Everett Snot Rap number 9 in 1983

Peter Shilton This Time We'll get it right (as part of the England Squad) Number 2 in 1982 (and 34 in 2010??).

From 1995

Bruce Forsyth had a number 58 album in 2011.

From 1996

Timothy Leary speech sampled for Origins of Dance (Timothy Leary Meets The Grid), number 96 in 1990.

From 1997

Norman Wisdom Don't Laugh at Me ('Cause I'm a Fool), number 3, 1954

From 1998

Roy Rogers Number 18 album, Rhythm & Groove

Spike Milligan, as a Goon, The Ying Tong Song number 3, 1956

From 2000

Dudley Moore Goodbye-ee (with Peter Cook) number 18, 1965

From 2001

Harry Secombe This is My Song number 2, 1967

From 2008

Russell Watson (with Faye Tozer) Someone Like You, number 10, 2002

From 2009

Wendy Richard (with Mike Sarne) Come Outside number 1, 1962

Christopher Lee, Metal Knight (EP), number 54, 2017

From 2010

Peter Tork any Monkees hit

• Like 3

It seems like everyone has released a single once in their life, I thought so :P

Thanks a lot for the additions so far, especially @time

• Like 1

@Book but wait, there's more...

From 2011

Bill Tarmey, Wind Beneath My Wings, number 40 in 1994

From 2012

Patrick Macnee (with Honor Blackman) Kinky Boots number 5,1990

Stephen Hawking (with Monty Python) Galaxy Song number 21, 2015

From 2015

Leonard Nimoy, Freaky Realistic, number 71, 1993

From 2016

Tommy Chong (with Cheech Marin) Santa Claus & His Old Lady, number 45 in 2022

Gordon Banks (with England World Cup 1970 Squad) Back Home, number 1, 1970

From 2017

Nobby Stiles (with England World Cup 1970 Squad) Back Home, number 1, 1970

Honor Blackman (with Patrick Macnee) Kinky Boots number 5,1990

Liz Dawn (with Joe Longthorne) Passing Strangers number 34 in 1994

From 2018

Mel Brooks To Be Or Not To Be (The Hitler Rap) number 12, 1984

From 2020

Terry Jones ?

From 2021

Bernard Cribbins Hole in the Ground, Right Said Fred numbers 9, 10 in 1962

From 2022

Bobby Charlton (with England World Cup 1970 Squad) Back Home, number 1, 1970

Denis Law (with Scotland World Cup Squad 1974) Easy, Easy, number 20, 1974 (probable)

11 minutes ago, time said:

Bill Tarmey, Wind Beneath My Wings, number 40 in 1194

Blimey, I knew he was old, but...

• Haha 1

Just now, TQR said:

Blimey, I knew he was old, but...

Typo, I obviously meant 1914

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm glad you had such a nice activity over the weekend @time :D Thanks again.

5 hours ago, Book said:

I'm glad you had such a nice activity over the weekend @time :D Thanks again.

I should been have reconciling credit card payments, so a welcome diversion!

• Haha 1

I would play this game but it feels extremely random to me

There is something I want to do but don't want to run it as I already have three games on the go

Essentially it would be covering the No.3-No.10 for all the years we have been doing but the songs are nominated so for example (if we picked 70's) each player would send (by DM) a list of ten songs which peaked at No. 3 -10 one from each year but they would only be allowed one song by any artist in the list. (Either the game runner can allow substitutes or if a song is duplicated the player who submitted second can offer up a replacement). Then depending on the number of players (I would expect 20-25 you can either do double years (5 qualify) or single years (3 qualify) the only other change I would make would be that until the first song is eliminated in each list you cannot up or down vote by more than 50% pf your allocation to a single song

If I decide I am less busy when the current Killing of Saving ends I might try this but if someone else things this has legs you have my blessing to try and make it work

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I would play this game but it feels extremely random to me

There is something I want to do but don't want to run it as I already have three games on the go

Essentially it would be covering the No.3-No.10 for all the years we have been doing but the songs are nominated so for example (if we picked 70's) each player would send (by DM) a list of ten songs which peaked at No. 3 -10 one from each year but they would only be allowed one song by any artist in the list. (Either the game runner can allow substitutes or if a song is duplicated the player who submitted second can offer up a replacement). Then depending on the number of players (I would expect 20-25 you can either do double years (5 qualify) or single years (3 qualify) the only other change I would make would be that until the first song is eliminated in each list you cannot up or down vote by more than 50% pf your allocation to a single song

If I decide I am less busy when the current Killing of Saving ends I might try this but if someone else things this has legs you have my blessing to try and make it work

There’s a lot of possibilities for the player choice format. It could just be any category, not necessarily top 3/5/10 or any particular year, picked by the winning song picker of the previous round. The DL names idea might be an idea for a category, as an example.

I would envisage doing the full run from 60s-00s No.2s (run by me) and No.3s (ideally someone else, we’ll cross that bridge as and when), then a super round of the 15 game winners to find the ultimate Top-3 single, and other special variants of the game (e.g. the Christmas game I’ll do in December) can run parallel as the 00s game is right now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TQR said:

I would envisage doing the full run from 60s-00s No.2s (run by me) and No.3s (ideally someone else, we’ll cross that bridge as and when), then a super round of the 15 game winners to find the ultimate Top-3 single, and other special variants of the game (e.g. the Christmas game I’ll do in December) can run parallel as the 00s game is right now.

I'm having fun running the 00s game so when the time comes I wouldn't be opposed to running the UK no.3s

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reviving this thread for another poll regarding the direction of Kill or Save.

As we know, from the 1960s to the 2000s, the No.2s are almost done, and Wannamaker is waiting in the wings to get going with the No.3 games, with the 70s up first.

Buuut...how many of us would be interested in doing the 1950s and 2010s as well, to complete the decade set?

If there are enough takers, I'm more than happy to sort these games out for the No.1s and 2s. The plan would be to run them alongside Wannamaker's No.3s; having two games on at a time worked perfectly well before. I appreciate some might be interested in one end of the timeline but not the other, so I'll try timing them accordingly by running the 50s games during the 90s or 00s and the 10s during the 70s/80s.

If there isn't enough interest, we can just carry on with one game at a time until Christmas. Or, we could move away from chart decades and go towards themed games; if this is the case, someone else can host those as I'm already custodian of the Christmas theme.

What do you reckon? The new poll is up, vote now!

• Like 3

Rather convincing initial response. That's decided, then.

It's fair to say the games slightly differ in scale. I'll run them in this order as it should mean the 10s are paired with the 70s, 80s and 60s, and the 50s run with the 90s and 00s.

UK No.1 Hits of the 10s

2010-11: 66 songs, 6 finalists

2012-13: 65 songs, 6 finalists

2014-15: 61 songs, 6 finalists

2016-17: 24 songs, 3 finalists

2018-19: 29 songs, 4 finalists

Good grief. 3 monster rounds.

UK No.1 Hits of the 50s

1952-53: 15 songs, 4 finalists

1954-55: 25 songs, 7 finalists

1956-57: 25 songs, 7 finalists

1958-59: 29 songs, 7 finalists

UK official singles charts began in November 1952.

UK No.2 Hits of the 10s

2010-11: 28 songs, 5 finalists

2012-13: 37 songs, 7 finalists

2014-15: 24 songs, 5 finalists

2016-17: 25 songs, 5 finalists

2018-19: 16 songs, 3 finalists

Thanks Clorox for the source!

UK No.2 Hits of the 50s

1952-56: 31 songs, 5 finalists

1957-59: 28 songs, 5 finalists

Rather a truncated game; I can hardly do a 25-strong final when there're only 59 songs!

• Like 3

Honestly I would happily join in with completing the decades and/or themed games. 

I have thought it might be interesting so find the best song for a particular band or artist, eg Queen. We could vote on each album (not greatest hits or live albums, as they are generally repeats of tracks on studio albums) then for the final round choose the best track overall. Obviously this would only work for artists with a large body of work.

• Like 3

Just now, AstroKat said:

Honestly I would happily join in with completing the decades and/or themed games. 

I have thought it might be interesting so find the best song for a particular band or artist, eg Queen. We could vote on each album (not greatest hits or live albums, as they are generally repeats of tracks on studio albums) then for the final round choose the best track overall. Obviously this would only work for artists with a large body of work.

Great idea, we should definitely revisit this once the decades are all caught up.

• Like 1

From a skim, this list is accurate for 2010s #2s

https://www.ndfletcher.org.uk/uk-music-charts-trivia/uk-chart-2-singles/

That would give us:

2010-11: 28 songs, 5 finalists

2012-13: 37 songs, 7 finalists

2014-15: 34 songs, 6 finalists

2016-17: 25 songs, 4 finalists

2018-19: 16 songs, 3 finalists (lol)

I've listened to all the 50s songs and agree with there being fewer rounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the fifties game will take long at all but I am keen for completeness sake. I will probably find the 2010s more interesting than the 2000s

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I don't think the fifties game will take long at all but I am keen for completeness sake. I will probably find the 2010s more interesting than the 2000s

Having spent some of my day off yesterday sorting out the 10s No.1s, ‘interesting’ is I’d say a nice, positive spin on what is an absolute calamity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the 50s, if there are any double songs, can we have them split before the round starts?

5 minutes ago, lilham said:

For the 50s, if there are any double songs, can we have them split before the round starts?

Hmm…I have my reservations about doing this as that would no longer stay true to how they performed in the charts. There’ll be five doubles in the 50s No.1s game so it’s not a biggie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TQR said:

Hmm…I have my reservations about doing this as that would no longer stay true to how they performed in the charts. There’ll be five doubles in the 50s No.1s game so it’s not a biggie.

They weren't played together on the radio though. It's all just the record label trying out new business ideas with the advent of the singles charts. We don't have proof that people wore out both sides of the record of Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love" and "Rock a Hula Baby" equally. There are some very rare instances where the B side will win out, but usually it's some vestigial twin to the A side and not deserving to be on the list at all because no one listened to it. (However, not advocating to remove them from the list entirely).

46 minutes ago, lilham said:

They weren't played together on the radio though. It's all just the record label trying out new business ideas with the advent of the singles charts. We don't have proof that people wore out both sides of the record of Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love" and "Rock a Hula Baby" equally. There are some very rare instances where the B side will win out, but usually it's some vestigial twin to the A side and not deserving to be on the list at all because no one listened to it. (However, not advocating to remove them from the list entirely).

But Can’t Help Falling In Love isn’t a UK number 1 single, so it can’t be on the list. It’s tough, I know, but that’s how the charts worked. It’s either both as one, or neither.

• Like 1