RoverAndOut

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 3

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Another curveball thrown in this afternoon! In a quick turnaround, the most environmentally friendly club in the EFL have recycled their manager in double-quick time, announcing they are parting ways with boss David Horseman by mutual consent and replacing him almost immediately with player-coach and former Watford legend Troy Deeney. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67772735 Horseman had only been in charge for 5 months and goes following their 3-0 defeat to Blackpool in the Second Round of the FA Cup last night. The fact their 23rd in League Two and 5 points from safety probably didn't help either. It is Deeney's first job in management. Brave!

Horseman was on 4 players' teams, so it's a hit for @Great Uncle Bulgaria, @maryportfuncity, me - @RoverAndOut and - wait for it - @BuffaloPhil! It puts me and GUB one behind the front 3 and moves Buffalo Phil onto 4 hits, level with Maryport...who immediately moves himself up to 5 hits and leaves Phil still bottom! But only 16 more to go, Phil! ;)

Updated Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie, Wannamaker, Lady Fiona - 9

Rover and Out, Great Uncle Bulgaria - 8

Bibliogryphon - 7

Diego, MariNisia - 6

Commtech Sio Bibble, Maryportfuncity - 5

Buffalo Phil - 4

Re the environmental credentials, the ground's out in the sticks meaning away supporters generally opt to drive because the public transport options aren't great. Much of the home support behave the same way so the queue to get out is crawling and burning fossil fuel. One of my Carlisle mates pointed this out the last time we were there and it'd be fair to say the observation went down badly!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Re the environmental credentials, the ground's out in the sticks meaning away supporters generally opt to drive because the public transport options aren't great. Much of the home support behave the same way so the queue to get out is crawling and burning fossil fuel. One of my Carlisle mates pointed this out the last time we were there and it'd be fair to say the observation went down badly!

To be fair, I wasn't claiming to know much about it, just using their own marketing spiel. As with all these things, it depends on how you measure it. I'd be interested to see how it all weighs up though.

On 19/12/2023 at 16:02, Bibliogryphon said:

Couple of other tidbits to keep in mind

Roy Hodgson has suggested he will not stay at Crystal Palace beyond the end of the season and Steve Schumacher (Plymouth) has been linked with the vacancy at Stoke City

On 19/12/2023 at 18:24, RoverAndOut said:

Has he not learned from Alex Neil, who walked away from Sunderland to manage Stoke and ended up finishing 16th, while his former team finished 6th? Accepted, Stoke are probably a more established Championship prospect than Plymouth, but there's not a huge amount in it at the moment.

Apparently he hasn't learned the lesson. Another change happened yesterday which I've only noticed today: Steven Schumacher has swapped Plymouth for Stoke, leaving a team 3 points and 3 places better off than their opponents, but at a severe disadvantage financially (Stoke are owned by the Coates family, who run Bet365). https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67753445

This is a big one, as the only people who had Schumacher in their team were me and @Great Uncle Bulgaria, giving us both our 9th hits and making it a 5-way tie at the top! And STILL nobody has hit halfway yet!

Updated Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie, Wannamaker, Lady Fiona, Rover and Out, Great Uncle Bulgaria - 9

Bibliogryphon - 7

Diego, MariNisia - 6

Buffalo Phil - 4

• Like 2

Evening Standard seems to think Steve Cooper is set to replace Roy Hodgson at Crystal Palace

• Like 1

Yep, apparently an 8 match winless streak means curtains for Neil Wood at Salford, having got to the Play-offs last season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67816050 In this game, that's good news for Diego, who gets his 7th hit - and still nobody has hit halfway somehow!

Updated Scoreboard

Bibliogryphon, Diego - 7

MariNisia - 6

Buffalo Phil - 4

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:
Lee Johnson sacked by Fleetwood Town.

Not a hit in this game!

• Like 1

Wayne Rooney and Birmingham City part company. I can only assume the game started before his appointment.

41 minutes ago, time said:

Wayne Rooney and Birmingham City part company. I can only assume the game started before his appointment.

Took 'em from 6th to 20th and shipped nine defeats in 15 games

Be interesting to see who's prepared to offer him a job now.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

There'll be some mug - Lampard's seeming inexhaustible supply of goodwill as an example.

Both linked by Derby and Everton, oddly.

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

I've no love for Rooney and what happened to Eustace was a disgrace but this is the most ridiculous time to sack him. He came in October and is sacked 2 days into January - how's he meant to implement his ideas when he's not even been given a transfer window to bring in some of his own signings? Now they'll spend a fortnight picking a new manager who will then need to assess the squad and make some panic buys. Or they could try getting Eustace back. That could be interesting...

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Sky? TNT? BBC? iTV. I can only see him going into punditry for his next source of employment. 

9 hours ago, Imelda said:

There'll be some mug - Lampard's seeming inexhaustible supply of goodwill as an example.

Both linked by Derby and Everton, oddly.

Indeed. Come on forth, the saviour!

everton-manager-frank-lampard.jpg

Well, I've been looking at the recent ins and outs to see if anything has moved and I had to search high and low to find anything! None of the recent EFL changes have affected this game, but at the end of December, Blyth Spartans parted ways with Graham Fenton in the National League North. https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/sport/football/graham-fenton-sacked-as-manager-of-blyth-spartans-and-replacement-appointed-4460421

This gave @maryportfuncity another hit and moved him into a share of bronze position, with 6 hits.

Updated Scoreboard

Bibliogryphon, Diego - 7

MariNisia, Maryportfuncity - 6

Commtech Sio Bibble - 5

Buffalo Phil - 4

In other news today, Tony Mowbray has taken over as the new boss of Birmingham, replacing Wayne Rooney. Safe pair of hands, but not very exciting. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67899139

• Like 1

15 days into 2024 and we have our first hit of the year (as far as I'm aware!). Swindon have dispensed with the services of Michael Flynn, having given him a long-term contract in November (naturally), having won 3 of their past 15 matches (although they are just below mid-table in League Two). https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67981867 This gives a hit to two players in this game, and it's a big moment at both ends of the board! First, @BuffaloPhilgets a 5th hit to reach 25% completion and, more importantly, move level with Commtech Sio Bibble at the foot of the table. But at the top of the table, @Great Uncle Bulgaria steals a march on 4 other players, including long-term leader Sly Ronnie, to become the first player to reach halfway with 10 hits! But never fear, there is hope for the rest of us as, for him to win, de Zerbi needs to leave Brighton, Saint Ange needs to leave Spurs and he has the managers of the teams currently 3rd and 4th in the Championship! But who knows in this game! Anything's possible...

Scoreboard

Great Uncle Bulgaria - 10

Sly Ronnie, Wannamaker, Lady Fiona, Rover and Out - 9

Bibliogryphon, Diego - 7

MariNisia, Maryportfuncity - 6

Commtech Sio Bibble, Buffalo Phil - 5

• Like 6

Unrelated to the game but worth mentioning: Troy Deeney was sacked by Forest Green Rovers this week after 29 days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, six feet blunder said:

Charlton manager Michael Appleton sacked straight after losing 3-2 at home to Northampton

Useless hereabouts as well, since it was the guy before him who counted for selection. He has a 100% record managing Leicester (two games as caretaker)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Jurgen Klopp to step down at the end of the season 

I am wondering if he could actually have some health issues that are playing a part. Prehaps something that is not currently making him unwell but may do in the future if he continued with his current schedule. 

21 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I am wondering if he could actually have some health issues that are playing a part. Prehaps something that is not currently making him unwell but will do in the future. 

He says he is running out of energy. I am inclined to take him at his word but the question will be how many of his squad are staying because of him. Will the lure of Arab money become less difficult to resist for the likes of Salah?

Also they will probably go through at least two managers before they get the next right one

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He says he is running out of energy. I am inclined to take him at his word but the question will be how many of his squad are staying because of him. Will the lure of Arab money become less difficult to resist for the likes of Salah?

Also they will probably go through at least two managers before they get the next right one

The Daily Mail are splashing the running out of energy quote on their website in a way that could come across as the paper trying to hinting health issues are causing the lack of energy. Or knowing them just a dig at mental health issues. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

1207012_1.jpg?r=1574267042521

• Haha 2