Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Alan Price

Another thread created due to boredom.  Alan Price (81) 

I remember him from the 60’s (yes, I’m that old).

Original keyboardist with The Animals.  Getting on in years.

I was expecting there to be some news that prompted this thread creation. There is no reason to expect Alan Price will croak any sooner than any other 60s musicians of the same age.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I was expecting there to be some news that prompted this thread creation. There is no reason to expect Alan Price will croak any sooner than any other 60s musicians of the same age.

Yeah but you forgot one key fact.

It’s PB’s site. He can do WTF he wants.

5 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Who?

Different band entirely.

• Haha 3

Always liked the O Lucky Man! Soundtrack and the film from it.

6 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Who?

Other than the band he was in - The Animals - and some successful solo work the obits will play up one significant story. The Animals' world-wide smash with their cover of House of the Rising Sun has a writing credit on the label making clear it's traditional but arranged by Price. Long story short, he cleaned up financially on that and the others - notably singer Eric Burdon who'd first heard the song in a folk club and suggested to the rest of the band they record it - were pissed off as a result. We're talking sales on an epic scale  including #1 in several countries (UK and US amongst them), and so the financial fall out was also epic. They buried their differences, notably in the early 80s , so's they could milk the money from a reunion album and tour, but only Price thinks he was fully deserving of being the sole arranger. Apart from anything  else it was Burdon who first suggested they do it, and the bolshy Burdon who piled the pressure on producer Mickie Most to come  and see them play it live so he could get a sense of the reaction it got as the closing song in their set as they supported Chuck Berry. So, Price might have done some studio trickery and figured out where the various instruments went on the floor but they'd - more or less - nailed their version before they cut the song and they recorded the whole thing in around 15 mins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1