RIP Wee Jum

Russell Brand

5 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

So after the textbook pile in, now there are lots of articles with people defending Brand, plus the story is moving away from the headlines. I reckon a few more days and it's over. He has probably got loads of new subscribers through this, although sadly for him at the moment he can't monetise them!

While it might leave the headlines, I wouldn't rule out stuff happening behind the scenes; I'm pretty sure the broadcasters who have announced internal investigations will keep them going until conclusion, for example.

• Like 1

I think there should be a statute of limitations on this type of allegation.  None of this waiting for years before voicing it.  It is so often one person's word against the other's. 

Complaints should be made in a timely manner while there may still be evidence for an investigation, and while memories are still relatively fresh. 

You never know, if there’s a tremendous amount of backlash from Sunak’s “fuck net zero” speech later today Brand may well find himself back to the front pages, á la Schofield (during a Johnson-shaped clusterfuck) and Edwards (during another Johnson-shaped clusterfuck).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, TQR said:

You never know, if there’s a tremendous amount of backlash from Sunak’s “fuck net zero” speech later today Brand may well find himself back to the front pages, á la Schofield (during a Johnson-shaped clusterfuck) and Edwards (during another Johnson-shaped clusterfuck).

Now let me see, am I right in thinking that neither Schofield nor Edwards was proved to have done anything criminal?  Unlike some others mentioned in your post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Now let me see, am I right in thinking that neither Schofield nor Edwards was proved to have done anything criminal?  Unlike some others mentioned in your post.

That is true. Amoral but not illegal, as Schofield himself said. Which is why it's pretty nauseating that Brand, accused of rape sexual assault (very much criminal), isn't getting the same sort of coverage from the same "msm" he rails against. But then, Schofield and Edwards were involved with other males, so maybe that's the difference in the eyes of our gutter press.

4 hours ago, TQR said:

That is true. Amoral but not illegal, as Schofield himself said. Which is why it's pretty nauseating that Brand, accused of rape sexual assault (very much criminal), isn't getting the same sort of coverage from the same "msm" he rails against. But then, Schofield and Edwards were involved with other males, so maybe that's the difference in the eyes of our gutter press.

Was it revealed that HE's young friend was male?  I thought that was left unspecified.

13 hours ago, TQR said:

For Johnson, he broke the law. For Brand, there have been a few accusations, from 15+ years ago, and no arrest or prosecution, but the main tenor of the coverage seems to be emphasising what a cad he was at that time (today's Gem from the Mail - Billy Connolly had stern words with him for trying to cop off with a wardrobe assistant, and after that he behaved well, put in a great performance, and went on to be a strong supporter of Connolly). His "age-gap" related issue was 31-16 (15 years). For Schofield and Edwards, I believe it related to things they were doing right now at the same time as carrying out A list mainstream media jobs. Still they got far less coverage than Brand is getting. They had much bigger age gaps (30-40+ iirc) if that is what the issue is here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

His "age-gap" related issue was 31-16 (15 years).

I corrected an American Youtuber who said in their video that sex with a 16 y/o is a criminal offence, pointing out that the alleged incidents occurred in the UK where the age of consent is 16.

Someone replied to my comment with "I guess you don't have children". :wacko:

On 20/09/2023 at 13:38, Toast said:

I think there should be a statute of limitations on this type of allegation.  None of this waiting for years before voicing it.  It is so often one person's word against the other's. 

Complaints should be made in a timely manner while there may still be evidence for an investigation, and while memories are still relatively fresh. 

Yeah, but...there's no statute of limitations on psychological damage

• Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 21:20, Youth in Asia said:

I was just listening again to some of his radio shows from 2006 and 2007, they are still archived on the internet. They are hilarious, but to say he sails close to the wind is rather understating it. In the hour I heard, he had a 15yo caller asking for advice for her 16th birthday party, and his genius idea was to make it erotic themed to celebrate reaching the age of consent, 

If someone from the Mail went through those shows they would have enough material on him for articles for a year.

Hang on, is the Daily Mail taking ideas from my posts?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12545359/New-videos-emerge-Russell-Brand-joking-16-year-olds-sex-party-catching-girls-Tim-Westwood-BBC-Radio-2-show.html

:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, but...there's no statute of limitations on psychological damage

All the more reason to make a complaint in good time through the proper channels. 

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

All the more reason to make a complaint in good time through the proper channels. 

Making a complaint through the "proper" channels has led to psychological damage though. The cops treat rape victims like they're the rapists, and they're ostracized from their communities.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/21/three-quarters-of-survivors-say-police-response-damaged-their-mental-health

• Like 2

There has to be reform in the police and HR departments before we can get rape victims to utilize those channels to report sexual assault. Until then, it's public pressure through the media, which I understand people don't like. Instead of obsessing over the statute of limitations for when victims report, why not focus on fixing the issues in the system, ie a time limit for the police testing of rape kits? It should be very clear by now that the proper channels are failures, and victims are desperate for workarounds.

19 minutes ago, lilham said:

There has to be reform in the police and HR departments before we can get rape victims to utilize those channels to report sexual assault. Until then, it's public pressure through the media, which I understand people don't like. Instead of obsessing over the statute of limitations for when victims report, why not focus on fixing the issues in the system, ie a time limit for the police testing of rape kits? It should be very clear by now that the proper channels are failures, and victims are desperate for workarounds.

Obsessing? :facepalm:

I'm out of here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lilham said:

Making a complaint through the "proper" channels has led to psychological damage though. The cops treat rape victims like they're the rapists, and they're ostracized from their communities.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/21/three-quarters-of-survivors-say-police-response-damaged-their-mental-health

Yeah, and if you're on a temporary contract and shit wages the proper channels in a media company might see you as more expendable than the talent on whom the advertising sales and future of a show are riding, or summat

• Like 2

Hmm - re the post above. There's a claim of knob out in front of a colleague, laughing about it on air soon after - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66882644

The claiment here might well have been a shit wages/temporary contract employee of the Beeb in the US, not a job that comes with the strongest claim on the time of the proper channels

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

It makes you wonder, what things that are acceptable now will be the subject of a witch hunt in 15 years time?

• Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

It makes you wonder, what things that are acceptable now will be the subject of a witch hunt in 15 years time?

What, like posting on a dead pooling site?

• Haha 7

Anyone with any doubts over the story, the victims, whatever: I urge you to listen to the Newsagents Podcast episode on Brand.

CONTENT WARNING: For the last few minutes of the podcast they move on from Russell Brand and talk about Liz Truss. She's not a sex offender, she's just batshit mad.

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

What, like posting on a dead pooling site?

Yes that was the first thing I thought of too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TQR said:

Anyone with any doubts over the story, the victims, whatever: I urge you to listen to the Newsagents Podcast episode on Brand.

Well I listened to the first minute and since they had completely missed the point that it was a comedy show I didn't listen any longer. He wasn't seriously going to send his personal assistant round to Jimmy savile's house naked. If anything he was getting Savile to incriminate himself under the guise of comedy, and he did it very well.

It was actually the number one podcast on iTunes at that time, with millions of listeners. 

But times change and now we have Captain Literal going through old comedy routines, as if they were descriptions of crimes.

Next week they will probably turn up at John Cleese's house and arrest him for racism to Spaniards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Well I listened to the first minute and didn’t listen any longer because I am wilfully uninformed.

FTFY.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1