maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2024

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

You're very brave, lol.

My pick Khairil Idzhar is shared with Banana under a slightly different name there.

Sorted

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drol said:

Xiaohong Xu picked by banana died in December.

Thanks - Mike Sertich (aw, c'mon - we all know who he is, right?) now in play (I've checked and Wiki thinks him still alive).

My pick Telma Regina Bley appears to have died yesterday:

Former city councilor and former health minister of Canoinhas, Telma Bley, dies at the age of 56 (newsbeezer.com)

As did LizLemon's pick Carl (sic) Yarborough

Cale Yarborough, Hall of Fame NASCAR Driver, Dies at 84 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

December 31st deaths still get points right?

48 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

My pick Telma Regina Bley appears to have died yesterday:

Former city councilor and former health minister of Canoinhas, Telma Bley, dies at the age of 56 (newsbeezer.com)

As did LizLemon's pick Carl (sic) Yarborough

Cale Yarborough, Hall of Fame NASCAR Driver, Dies at 84 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

December 31st deaths still get points right?

Hell yeah, the gas is on - cooking is now occuring!!

And, let's have a look at the old scoreboard!

An Fear Beag - 366

LizLemon - 366

• Like 1

So, day three is deathless in competition - or amI missing summat?

A two-hour prayer session for Jayapataka Swami's health was held today and he seems to be a pick here. Might be a sign he's very near the end but the guy seems to have more lives than a container ship full of cats.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, arghton said:

A two-hour prayer session for Jayapataka Swami's health was held today and he seems to be a pick here. Might be a sign he's very near the end but the guy seems to have more lives than a container ship full of cats.

Hmmm, two hours of massed prayers are likely holding back two isolated prayers in the other direction - but thanks for the update

Jayapataka Swami – dr, mn

My pick Dinesh Phadnis died a few days after I picked him,Lucille Soong is ready to sub in

9 hours ago, JoeMoneypenny said:

My pick Dinesh Phadnis died a few days after I picked him,Lucille Soong is ready to sub in

Oh aye, multiple organ failure on 5 Dec - on it!

My pick Horace Baumer died... last year.

No wonder nobody's dying, they're all already dead!

• Haha 2

By the way, I think my pick AJ Hickling died on the 29th.

Google is telling me this, but the obit is behind paywalls.

News came out today.

18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

By the way, I think my pick AJ Hickling died on the 29th.

Google is telling me this, but the obit is behind paywalls.

News came out today.

He definitely did die. Saw it after I sent my AO team in. So prior to Jan 1. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0QHLYxRwf2qWmg3W4uWHrbyfBDeeTkEw87sTPGD7kaD6axVRHZ3HXroga41Zvrb3dl&id=100052363980297

So, Drol and Reptile now have subs in play - anyone, like, spotted a 2024 death lately?

8 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

No idea about 2024 deaths, but Babyblue's pick Qapik Attagutsiak died on December 14th

Remembering 103-year-old Nunavut elder Qapik Attagutsiak | CBC News

Sorted, that's bb's third (of five) subs in play.

Most teams enter at the last minute and they're fielding fortnight-dead nonentities, business as usual for this pool maybe. 

I mean, I could always, like, put a 2025 tweak in there with a points penalty for any pick dead ten days or more!

I'll have a think

Apologies if I've missed the death of some cancer-ridden basketball coach from Ontario and/or the third string dancer in a moderately successful Indian movie. Managed to spot Glynis Johns on my own, though and that's livened up the scoreboard a little: 

LizLemon - 768

An Fear Beag - 366

Bibliogryphon - 362

Captain Chorizo - 362

The Immortal - 362

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Apologies if I've missed the death of some cancer-ridden basketball coach from Ontario and/or the third string dancer in a moderately successful Indian movie. Managed to spot Glynis Johns on my own, though and that's livened up the scoreboard a little: 

LizLemon - 768

An Fear Beag - 366

Bibliogryphon - 362

Captain Chorizo - 362

The Immortal - 362

For me this is really exciting. This game normally passes by with my team untouched and here I am in the Top 5 (for now)

• Like 1

So, holding off a little while on Derek Draper until there's some indication of when he died - I'm thinking likely yesterday but no source reporting it yet. Gonna put the turbo charge on the competition though - the defending champion being one of two competitors to have cashed in their joker on this but the current leading snagging more points and scoring with every counting death so far: 

Derek Draper – af, ar, ba*, bk, cc, cl*, db, di, dr, dx, gr, hl, im, jk, ll, mn, mp, ms, rg, sk, sn, st, tc, th, ti, to, tt, tu, wm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, holding off a little while on Derek Draper until there's some indication of when he died - I'm thinking likely yesterday but no source reporting it yet. Gonna put the turbo charge on the competition though - the defending champion being one of two competitors to have cashed in their joker on this but the current leading snagging more points and scoring with every counting death so far: 

Derek Draper – af, ar, ba*, bk, cc, cl*, db, di, dr, dx, gr, hl, im, jk, ll, mn, mp, ms, rg, sk, sn, st, tc, th, ti, to, tt, tu, wm

Update - seeing two sources now citing today, so I'll do 361 points on this and change it if that proves to be wrong

LizLemon - 1129

An Fear Beag - 727

Captain Chorizo - 723

The Immortal - 723

Banana - 722

CalebH - 722

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Update - seeing two sources now citing today, so I'll do 361 points on this and change it if that proves to be wrong

Wikipedia have put Draper under Jan 3rd but still have the date of death as today. 

10 hours ago, Phantom said:

Wikipedia have put Draper under Jan 3rd but still have the date of death as today. 

Aye, to be fair they're saying he died "c. 5 January" - as soon as some reputable source confirms a different date we can up the points a little. 

Small update, Zagallo's death hauls Sideik into the chasing pack, and Sideik may have a trick to play, having a unique pick as joker. A 112-year-old Indian environmentalist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saalumarada_Thimmakka

LizLemon - 1129

An Fear Beag - 727

Captain Chorizo - 723

The Immortal - 723

Banana - 722

CalebH - 722

Sideik - 722

Nobody's alerted me to any new scoring deaths but Draper definitely went on 3 Jan so given the tightness of the chasing pack scores the four additional points added to those with DD as a joker have shaken up the podium

LizLemon - 1131

An Fear Beag - 729

Banana - 726

CalebH - 726

Captain Chorizo - 725

The Immortal - 725

Sideik - 724

• Like 1