Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

On 03/02/2024 at 14:10, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I noticed that John Hamill's bio says that his last appearance was in 1898 (49 years before he was born) when it should be 1989, if you are going off IMDb.

That was one of mine. The further down the list of Gooseberry's esoteric picks I got, the less attention to detail I paid! Fixed now.

I think my Hell to the Chief Theme team is the only one with him.

• Like 1

It is 1 March, and the 61st day of 2024.  There have been 63 total (62 on the DDP + Paolo Taviani).  Taking the average yearly hit rate of ~0.75 (2020, 2021, 2022; 2023 is an outlier at ~0.84) multipled by remaining days in 2024 (305) and the hits already gives

= 63 + 0.75 x 305

= 63 + ~229

= 292

That seems to place DDP 2024 on for a record year, right?  It is likely too early to tell (I last started estimating in July 2023) as we've yet to experience the May doldrums, which 2023 avoided.  What can be said is that it is certainly going to be an average year (see table).

Year Hits at end Feb Total
2020 59 278
2021 67 275
2022 64 280
2023 59 312

4 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

It is 1 March, and the 61st day of 2024.  There have been 63 total (62 on the DDP + Paolo Taviani).  Taking the average yearly hit rate of ~0.75 (2020, 2021, 2022; 2023 is an outlier at ~0.84) multipled by remaining days in 2024 (305) and the hits already gives

= 63 + 0.75 x 305

= 63 + ~229

= 292

That seems to place DDP 2024 on for a record year, right?  It is likely too early to tell (I last started estimating in July 2023) as we've yet to experience the May doldrums, which 2023 avoided.  What can be said is that it is certainly going to be an average year (see table).

Year Hits at end Feb Total
2020 59 278
2021 67 275
2022 64 280
2023 59 312

Ahem...

image.png.244d67d5e3e1f5f111b6c1ee2b888d36.png

• Haha 1

@time In no way was I complaining about the speed of updates!  I appreciate the work you and the Committee put in.

Your reply did make me burst out laughing, so I thank you for that too. 

1 minute ago, Evil Grimace said:

@time In no way was I complaining about the speed of updates!  I appreciate the work you and the Committee put in.

Your reply did make me burst out laughing, so I thank you for that too. 

Don't worry, I never interpreted it as a complaint. Looking at the timing, you were no doubt mid-composition as i was uploading.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

If someone dies due to complications from a fall do they qualify for the unnatural causes bonus? Because if so Mulroney needs the bonus.

Thought it had to be the fall that killed them though.

Died peacefully in hospital.

Me old mum had a fall, was in the hospital being treated for months then died from a stroke while there. Wasn't the fall that killed her, doesn't sound like Mulroney did either.

Edit: Not like old Cilla who definitely did die from a fall.

Edit: IMO of course, up to the DDP people.

• Sad 1

Iris Apfel is a hit for me 

On 18/02/2024 at 14:34, YoungWillz said:

Under the Ls, Lis Lundkvist-Husberg died in June 2022 according to Wiki: https://sv-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Lis_Husberg?_x_tr_sl=sv&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Using Google not great for that team.

Been a while since I posted this but I suggest Lis Lundkvist-Husberg be added to the List of the Lost @Death Impends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty pointless given it's just 1 point and he's only on a theme team, but Virgil was 72, not 61.

11 hours ago, tracy said:

Pretty pointless given it's just 1 point and he's only on a theme team, but Virgil was 72, not 61.

Interesting... 

I read this: https://www.observer-reporter.com/local_news/2024/mar/01/larger-than-life-mike-jones-wrestler-better-known-as-virgil-dies/, which is what Wikipedia are now citing as DoB, but is there any other corroboration?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, time said:

Interesting... 

I read this: https://www.observer-reporter.com/local_news/2024/mar/01/larger-than-life-mike-jones-wrestler-better-known-as-virgil-dies/, which is what Wikipedia are now citing as DoB, but is there any other corroboration?

It looks like his age fudging was first mentioned a few years ago, in this article clearing up myths about his condition. Also, I'm not sure how many of those public records sites are still free/accessible in the UK, but here's his FamilyTreeNow page.

NAME: Michael Jones
BORN: Apr 1951
LIVES IN: Canonsburg, PA
  • Thanks 1

Its noted that the wrestler Virgil has been reported as being born in 1951 rather than 1962, as was generally accepted at the time of his death. Brief investigation and consultation has therefore resulted in him being backdated to 1951, therefore (and with apologies to Grappling with Mortality) he gets only 7 "age" points for his demise, rather than the previously awarded 8.

Juli Lynne Charlot has died. She was on my 1922 list and a unique pick.

NY Times