gcreptile

Deathlist Cup 2024

Philippe De Gaulle is our 4th hit this month, and the 4th unique hit at that! So much for competitive cult picks....

He was the son of a french president, a Navy man, and also a bit of a politician.... That career path reminds me a bit of one of the Roosevelts, can't quite remember who. Apart from the prominent father, he also received some of that World War II fame which is slowly becoming a rarity. Death By Arsenic goes into the lead with their real team, you know, not the one with Sophia Loren.

Also, that Eric Dornfeld obit, it's not really coming, is it? At least, now we know where to draw the line: Still active college football players in their 20s and dying of sarcoma - yes, college hockey players in their late 50s who played for a short time in the 80s - no.

AltObitsGuy 0-0 theoldlady

Perhaps 0-0 TheKillingTime

Spade_Cooley 0-4 GuyFromFuture

Hell 0-0 Famous6eva

Grim Up North 0-4 Death By Arsenic

Cpt. Chorizo 0-0 arghton

wannamaker 0-0 Wormfarmer

MariNisia 0-0 JoeMoneypenny

Banana 0-0 MortalCaso

Annami*

deadsox 0-0 CalebH

msc 0-4 therewillbedeaths7

DevonDeathTrip 0-0 justonecornetto

Sir Creep 0-0 diego

An Fear Beag 0-0 max_bossetti

Cpt. Hemlock 4-0 Bibliogryphon

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Probably not, but I thought I'd include it anyway, in case it is.

Ftr I would’ve disqualified that obit if I was hosting so probably gonna have to dig deeper 

• Thanks 1

Yes, the paid obituaries dont count.

• Thanks 1

Just now, max_bossetti said:

Sven-Olof Sällström is dead.

"Timeless love reflections" does not count though - obvious AI generated clickfarm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theoldlady said:

I need to have a closer look at this later.

At first glance, it appears to be another clickbait auto-translate site.

The english is pretty bad, the age is wrong. The url does not look official, I think this site just re-arranges the letters of the "New York Times" into " Time News". The typeface is the same.

Well, several players might soon receive some points if I-Ho Pomeroy has indeed died:

• Like 1

Ah yes, the blockage has been fixed.

Bozeman city commissioner I-Ho Pomeroy has died. As mentioned elsewhere, she had a brain tumour and surgery. While the surgery was initially successful, the tumour came back with a vengeance and killed her pretty quickly. Watchul observers noted her entering hospice. She seems to have been well-respected in the city, for her political work and her restaurant. You could say, she was the Councillor Jason Smith of Montana....

Also, Ghanaian musician KK Kabobo has died. Can't say I've heard of him before, so here you go:

Well, it sounds meh...

He died of a liver disease that he was battling for decades and leaves behind 16 children.

These two hits are the first ones in this round that are not unique. So a few players rejoice, and curiously two players have both of these names, wannamaker and DevonDeathTrip:

AltObitsGuy 0-0 theoldlady

Spade_Cooley 0-4 GuyFromFuture

Hell 0-0 Famous6eva

Grim Up North 0-4 Death By Arsenic

Cpt. Chorizo 0-0 arghton

wannamaker 6-0 Wormfarmer

MariNisia 0-0 JoeMoneypenny

Banana 3-0 MortalCaso

Annami*

deadsox 0-0 CalebH

msc 0-4 therewillbedeaths7

DevonDeathTrip 6-0 justonecornetto

Sir Creep 0-0 diego

An Fear Beag 0-0 max_bossetti

Cpt. Hemlock 4-0 Bibliogryphon

• Like 4

17 hours ago, wannamaker said:

My baby, KKK, was taken away.

In an attempt to learn from others, here is the original Facebook post (embedded) about KKKs liver condition.  There isn’t a single search term that anyone would use to find this.  I would chalk it up to dumb luck but not when @DevonDeathTrip is involved.  What the hell — do you have time to search every known ailment?  Who the hell searches ‘liver disease’ or any non cancer specific disease — not that it matters, she never said liver disease, only ‘battling a liver problem’.  Even if you searched ‘liver disease’ this wouldn’t pop up.  I want to know how you found this.

IMG_9350.jpeg

9 hours ago, max_bossetti said:

Thank you @max_bossetti. @gcreptile NB! Samnytt is a Swedish Newspaper in both Swedish and English . https://samnytt.se I read Swedish and can confirm there are about a dozen mentions about Sven Olof’s death on the Internet from Swedish newspapers (i.e. Aftenposten & Aftonbladet) and from Sweden’s government sourses (Sveriges Riksdagen) since he was a well-known politician in Sweden. His memorial service will be on Wednesday March 20th at 4 p.m. 

• Like 1

Scrabbling in the dirt for QOs, typical cup.

(The above looks like a blog to me...).

random

14 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

My baby, KKK, was taken away.

In an attempt to learn from others, here is the original Facebook post (embedded) about KKKs liver condition.  There isn’t a single search term that anyone would use to find this.  I would chalk it up to dumb luck but not when @DevonDeathTrip is involved.  What the hell — do you have time to search every known ailment?  Who the hell searches ‘liver disease’ or any non cancer specific disease — not that it matters, she never said liver disease, only ‘battling a liver problem’.  Even if you searched ‘liver disease’ this wouldn’t pop up.  I want to know how you found this.

"Deteriorating Health" is a good search term.  In my experience African media seem to use it as a euphemism for "about to drop dead", hence me including our man Kabobo when I saw this at the end of February. 

23 hours ago, max_bossetti said:

Unfortunately, this doesn't work either.

It's auto-translated from this real article:
https://samnytt.se/sven-olof-sallstrom-sd-ar-dod-akesson-en-svart-dag

But the link above is not the english-language version of that newspaper but something else, not even a blog. All the links on the web page don't work... and what is it about that "Sample Page".

• Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 13:30, gcreptile said:

Sven-Olof Sallström is dead, needs the obit now.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/sverige/sd-toppen-sven-olof-sallstrom-dod-/

https://www.riksdagen.se/en/members-and-parties/member/sven-olof-sallstrom_06776272-4f62-44c7-9011-f66349279c88/?riksmote=2020%2F21&p=2

How about Sven-Olof’s English Language Death Notification from Sweden’s Parliamentary website — Riksdagen English Pages? He was a big deal in Sweden.

9 hours ago, theoldlady said:

https://www.riksdagen.se/en/members-and-parties/member/sven-olof-sallstrom_06776272-4f62-44c7-9011-f66349279c88/?riksmote=2020%2F21&p=2

How about Sven-Olof’s English Language Death Notification from Sweden’s Parliamentary website — Riksdagen English Pages? He was a big deal in Sweden.

I actually think that counts, as it's an official, curated source of information. I'll update tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

Sven-Olof Sallström finally received a qualifying obit. He was a sitting member of the Swedish parliament for the Sweden Democrats since 2010. I guess, only because he was an incumbent did the obit appear in a qualifying form on the parliament's own web page. Incumbent politicians dying are always a big deal, though I can't really tell that he was all THAT important in the grand scheme of things. But he scores.

Also dead is American Astronaut Thomas "Tom" Stafford. As a member of the Apollo program he flew to the moon but didn't land on it. Later on, he was one of the three Americans who docked with three Soviet astronauts - in space. The Apollo-Soyuz mission was seen as an important step in defusing the Cold War. It also was the last hurrah of the Apollo modules before the age of the Space Shuttle.

These two deaths greatly reduce the number of dice rolls I would have to do. Neither of the picks were unique as their bad health was publicly known. Tom Stafford also had a widely publicized hospitalisation late last year and, thus, is a standard name in this year's pools. Max_bossetti is the only one with a double hit in this update and msc is the only one who catches up in score, turning, for now, into this round's "best loser".

AltObitsGuy 0-3 theoldlady

Spade_Cooley 0-4 GuyFromFuture

Hell 0-0 Famous6eva

Grim Up North 0-4 Death By Arsenic

Cpt. Chorizo 0-0 arghton

wannamaker 6-0 Wormfarmer

MariNisia 3-0 JoeMoneypenny

Banana 3-0 MortalCaso

Annami*

deadsox 0-3 CalebH

msc 3-4 therewillbedeaths7