Julien Fucking Alfred. Take a bow. Woman on a mission tonight, nobody else was getting a gold medal in that 100m. Brilliant to watch. Gutted for Daryl. FOUR FUCKING HUNDREDTHS off a bronze Fucking medal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Athletics gold for both Dominica and St Lucia, neither of which had won any Olympic medals in any sport before. Go minnows!

Coincidentally, re life affirming performances by minnows; I watched this documentary a couple of days back. 2002 and around the time the FIFA World Cup Final is kicking off the world's two lowest ranked football nations play each other in The Other Final

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Final

I quite like Gaia's - Freed from Desire but bloody stop playing it at every sporting event endlessly. I'll end up detesting it as much as Sweet Caroline and for the same reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I quite like Gaia's - Freed from Desire but bloody stop playing it at every sporting event endlessly. I'll end up detesting it as much as Sweet Caroline and for the same reason.

It's French don't cha know... ;):lol:

• Haha 1

On 31/07/2024 at 19:26, BuffaloPhil said:

Looks like Brazilian women's football Fucking legend Marta has done a Zidane - sent off in what will likely be her last ever match, unless they squeak through as a best third placed team and last long enough for her suspension to finish. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/cj50l9jz034o

Marta's prayers have been answered. Brazil have just knocked the hosts out 1-0 in a Quarter Final to give Marta a shot at a medal in her final match(es). France missed a penalty by the sound of things. There were 19 (NINETEEN) minutes of stoppage time. :o

• Shocked 1

51 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Marta's prayers have been answered. Brazil have just knocked the hosts out 1-0 in a Quarter Final to give Marta a shot at a medal in her final match(es). France missed a penalty by the sound of things. There were 19 (NINETEEN) minutes of stoppage time. :o

She played in the 2004 final - her longevity has been remarkable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Julien Fucking Alfred. Take a bow. Woman on a mission tonight, nobody else was getting a gold medal in that 100m. Brilliant to watch. Gutted for Daryl. FOUR FUCKING HUNDREDTHS off a bronze Fucking medal.

She was so close. Highest European finisher since 2004 and the best British performance since Dorothy Hyman’s silver in 1960. 

I wonder why many women runners with long hair don't pin it into tight buns and topknots like the gymnasts do.  I would have thought it would make them a fraction more aerodynamic than letting it stream all over the place.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

I wonder why many women runners with long hair don't pin it into tight buns and topknots like the gymnasts do.  I would have thought it would make them a fraction more aerodynamic than letting it stream all over the place.

In a sport of marginal gains it's a fair point, but girl gotta look FINE while she conquers the world, know what I'm saying? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

In a sport of marginal gains it's a fair point, but girl gotta look FINE while she conquers the world, know what I'm saying? :rolleyes:

Yes, I see, but they can let it down afterwards. See Rebecca wossname, the Brazilian lady who won silver today. 

gxpofczwixzphtel3h31image.png.959f4a83ef3691c165cf56a9b02a9ad3.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, I see, but they can let it down afterwards. See Rebecca wossname, the Brazilian lady who won silver today. 

gxpofczwixzphtel3h31image.png.959f4a83ef3691c165cf56a9b02a9ad3.png

Rebecca Andrade. And yeah, I don't disagree with your point. Think they like the action shot as they cross the finish line, hair flowing behind them. Although, it is odd when you think how aerodynamic cyclists insist on being.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Rebecca Andrade. And yeah, I don't disagree with your point. Think they like the action shot as they cross the finish line, hair flowing behind them. Although, it is odd when you think how aerodynamic cyclists insist on being. 

Wind resistance increases with the square of speed - so fast as an olympic runner is they're only meeting about 1/4 the air resistance of cyclists that are roughly twice as fast. (not counting factors like position and overall surface area). But agreed, it's not nothing and was experimented with yoinks ago by notably flo-jo and I also apparently after a brief search, Cathy Freeman in 2000.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, En Passant said:

Wind resistance increases with the square of speed - so fast as an olympic runner is they're only meeting about 1/4 the air resistance of cyclists that are roughly twice as fast. (not counting factors like position and overall surface area). But agreed, it's not nothing and was experimented with yoinks ago by notably flo-jo and I also apparently after a brief search, Cathy Freeman in 2000.

Yeah, the body suit, which I think was banned. If it makes any difference, Alfred had her hair a lot more tightly bound than some of the other girls last night. Maybe that made all the difference last night, but judging by the way she demolished the field, I don't think it was the only thing!

I’d quite like to have the final round of the golf on one device all day, but I doubt that’ll be an option on either Eurosport or BBC. Even though I’m not sure it should be an Olympic sport, I hope Tommy Fleetwood and his unfortunate hairstyle gets a medal. I wonder which sports will never be included. Cricket and American football spring to mind.

2 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I’d quite like to have the final round of the golf on one device all day, but I doubt that’ll be an option on either Eurosport or BBC. Even though I’m not sure it should be an Olympic sport, I hope Tommy Fleetwood and his unfortunate hairstyle gets a medal. I wonder which sports will never be included. Cricket and American football spring to mind.

T20 cricket could make it at some point, it's now an Olympic sport. Still insane to me that we have rugby and golf in the Olympics but no squash. Discovery online should have a dedicated golf stream, but I haven't checked out their coverage, so I've no idea - @En Passant might be able to give more info. I imagine if Tommy's in the mix, the BBC might cut to it for the last hour or so, if there's a gap (4pm-5pm is often a nice filler time between events). We'll see. But I'd love to see Tommy win too. Might give him the confidence to get one of the really big ones won.

I recognise that I’m far from being a casual sports viewer and that my ‘needs’ are less likely to be accommodated. I like long, slow sports - I’ll happily watch a whole road bike race/tour, a day (or 5) of test cricket and a full round of golf, but I can see why people in this busy old life prefer to get their fixes in smaller doses.

I like those real-time documentaries the BBC did  too, the sleigh, narrowboat and bus journeys. 

• Like 1

Fucking GB Men's Fucking Hockey Team have Fucking Fucked it. If you can't beat an opponent who's a man down for practically the entire match and 2 men down for 2 minutes in normal time then you don't deserve to win the shoot-out. And Ollie Payne is no Maddie Hinch.

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Fucking GB Men's Fucking Hockey Team have Fucking Fucked it. If you can't beat an opponent who's a man down for practically the entire match and 2 men down for 2 minutes in normal time then you don't deserve to win the shoot-out. And Ollie Payne is no Maddie Hinch.

Funding is getting cut or even axed. Might ironically mean the men get the focus over the women who have declined even more so. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Funding is getting cut or even axed. Might ironically mean the men get the focus over the women who have declined even more so. 

GB men’s hockey team number 2 ranked in world before Olympics

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

GB men’s hockey team number 2 ranked in world before Olympics

I know but funding is heavily based on Olympic medals 

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

India needs all the help it can get. It must be by far the world’s worst medals per capita country.

Apart from the 60-odd countries that have never won one, of course. The most populous of which is Bangladesh, who might have a chance if cricket ever gets in.

14 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Great for St Lucia even though their flag looks like Barbados reimagined as a totalitarian state.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Have they? As far as I can see they've got as far as the men, and if they were to get an unlikely win against the Dutch, then they'd have got themselves in the mix for yet another medal. The men haven't medalled since 1988. The World Number 2s should have had the composure to see that through before it got to the shoot-out. They didn't.

• Like 2