Dancing Olympics is of course appearing on Strictly Come Dancing and dance with an Olympian. Then get accused of abuse.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, diego said:

Noah Lyles ran the 200m final infected with COVID, he won bronze, but I believe he should not have competed in the race, as he could have infected other people, he even greeted his opponents even though he knew he was infected, I found it very irresponsible, to say the least.

Noah Lyles: American sprinter says he tested positive for Covid-19, ran 200-meter race anyway | CNN

17 hours ago, Toast said:

Did I hear right, that Noah Lyles has Covid?  But he was allowed to compete in a race today? 

What's all that about? Is it an excuse for not winning, because he's the sort of big-headed tosser that I dislike.

There are no rules about quarantining with Covid nowadays. He's certainly not going to withdraw of his own volition (and I wouldn't expect him to) and if you start preventing people from competing with Covid, where do you stop? Flu? A cold?

That said, embracing his opponents (especially his potential relay team-mate, if you particularly espouse teamwork) was a Fucking dick move.

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

It seems to my untrained eye that there's a very small margin of difference between a superb dive and an average dive. I can work out what a shit dive looks like but what makes the difference between a 6.5 and a 8.5 seems to be tiny, and despite how much they bang on about entry to the water and splash, that doesn't seem to be the be all and end all.

I agree with you... but then we haven't spent much of our careers judging divers. At least I assume you haven't based on the above comment :lol:

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

image.png.b4d035b89adafaca1d580373ad437986.png

I haven't seen it yet (I'm bracing myself) and call me a fuddy-duddy dinosaur but what the holy fuck is this doing in the Olympics? I've enjoyed some of the recent additions and can see their worth, skateboarding, BMX, climbing, etc. but BREAKDANCING is NOT a sport. We've gone from winners and losers to judges scoring routines to now gold medals based on judges' "vibes". Absolute fucking nonsense. :facepalm:

No less of a sport than rhythmic gymnastics, skateboarding, diving etc - even boxing IMO - any sport that's subjectively judged is on dodgy ground for me. Whether any of them should be in the Olympics is a matter of opinion.

• Like 1

Fucking silver in the women's 4x100m relay - you have to feel that better changeovers would have turned that into gold.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Great race, the Madison is brilliant chaos. Girls got their tactics wrong somewhere, looking at that final sprint. They clearly had the legs, something went wrong in the middle. Immense final turn to turn bronze into silver and shows how well they did that we beat Netherlands and lost to Italy by 6 when both those teams gained a lap on us.

I think Neah Evans is not quite on form - she was absent from the Team Pursuit to rest her as well. Elinor Barker looked the stronger rider. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Fucking silver in the women's 4x100m relay - you have to feel that better changeovers would have turned that into gold.

The press have started to turn on Team GB. 

• Facepalm 3

5 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

No less of a sport than rhythmic gymnastics, skateboarding, diving etc - even boxing IMO - any sport that's subjectively judged is on dodgy ground for me. Whether any of them should be in the Olympics is a matter of opinion.

Well I can't stand rhythmic gymnastics either, but at least in the sports listed above, there is a system of scoring based on difficulty of tricks and execution. This one appears to be based on 9 judges with a sliding meter that they move in the direction of who they think is "winning" the dance-off. Most judges wins. Doesn't matter what tricks you do or how you execute it, just vibes. And we've already established the boxing judges don't know their arse from their elbow. I'm suspicious of sports where I need a judge to tell me who wins too, but this is taking the piss.

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The press have started to turn on Team GB. 

Ban him. Ban him. Ban him. Ban him. BAN HIM!!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think Neah Evans is not quite on form - she was absent from the Team Pursuit to rest her as well. Elinor Barker looked the stronger rider. 

Before you're banned...they spoke afterwards and said they were disappointed with silver, wanted gold, hadn't anticipated people getting laps on the field given the quality of other teams to chase them back, now wish they'd covered the moves themselves. No suggestion they couldn't win and if they'd timed the sprints better they'd have got the 7 points they needed.

Canada take gold after the US balls up their first baton change. Bronze for GB.

5 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I’m only reporting the negative headline the Telegraph have just sent about the relay silver. And the BBC having headlines about outsider Brits falling to win a medal. 

I’m only reporting the negative headline the Telegraph have just sent about the relay silver. And the BBC having headlines about outsider Brits falling to win a medal. 

Show me the Telegraph headline.

What are they supposed to do? Say they won a medal when they didn't?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Canada take gold after the US balls up their first baton change. Bronze for GB.

How many golds would we have had this week if the line was at 395m not 400m? :facepalm:

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

Show me the Telegraph headline.

‘Olympics athletics: Change-over issues cost GB relay gold before Katarina Johnson-Thompson goes in heptathlon’

‘Should’ve been gold

Clean changeovers and that’s a gold - enormous ‘if’ given that is the biggest component of the relay, but you have to say it because of what could’ve been, GB were comfortably in the lead after Linsiquot’s leg. They went from first to fourth and Neita dug them out of a hole. 

The foursome don’t look too upset at the moment, when they see how far ahead they were that may change. Given how close they were to a potential baton infringement, they did well to hold on.’

The push notification also says Change Over issues cost GB gold.

Carlin sneaks a bronze against a whole host of odds. Really didn't see that coming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

‘Olympics athletics: Change-over issues cost GB relay gold before Katarina Johnson-Thompson goes in heptathlon’

‘Should’ve been gold

Clean changeovers and that’s a gold - enormous ‘if’ given that is the biggest component of the relay, but you have to say it because of what could’ve been, GB were comfortably in the lead after Linsiquot’s leg. They went from first to fourth and Neita dug them out of a hole. 

The foursome don’t look too upset at the moment, when they see how far ahead they were that may change. Given how close they were to a potential baton infringement, they did well to hold on.’

Exactly what I said above. Doesn't mean I'm "turning on" Team GB for a moment. It's just facts.

• Like 2

‘Should’ve been gold

Absolutely NONE of that is evidence the British press have turned on Team GB. Absolute fucking nonsense yet again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

Carlin sneaks a bronze against a whole host of odds. Really didn't see that coming.

Lucky not to be disqualified to be honest.

(Not that I'm turning on Team GB or anything.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

I said he was done after the incident with Hoogland. Looking at him afterwards, I think he thought so too. Very lucky boy. Not confident about his chances in the keirin, looks a bit ragged at the moment.

Amber Anning finishes 5th in the 400m final, but breaks Christine Ohuruogu's British record, so it was a swift race. She's got huge promise.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Hopefully we can count on our finest mod @DevonDeathTrip agreeing with you :)

Just now, TQR said:

Hopefully we can count on our finest mod @DevonDeathTrip agreeing with you :)

I've not asked for it once, I've not engaged with the discussion about it once, but its just beyond a joke. Negative hyperbole at every opportunity.

Jack Carlin got bronze in the men's sprint in the velodrome. Which is a bloody miracle considering he got a yellow card before, then his braincells went "you know what, i'll get in the way of my opponant" and nearly took the Dutch guy out. Thankfully he wasn't disqualified. The next attempt he won and got the medal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

23 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

14 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I said he was done after the incident with Hoogland. Looking at him afterwards, I think he thought so too. Very lucky boy. Not confident about his chances in the keirin, looks a bit ragged at the moment.

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Jack Carlin got bronze in the men's sprint in the velodrome. Which is a bloody miracle considering he got a yellow card before, then his braincells went "you know what, i'll get in the way of my opponant" and nearly took the Dutch guy out. Thankfully he wasn't disqualified. The next attempt he won and got the medal.

I know it's hard to keep track tonight but we've already said that ourselves. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1