@TQR don't even for a second consider leaving this site for someone who clearly has issues like TOC has. Your contributions along with the vast majority on this site I love reading and engaging with. TOC do us all a favour and give us a break from you, better still a permanent one at that. This site needs people like @TQR

Just now, Steve said:

@TQR don't even for a second consider leaving this site for someone who clearly has issues like TOC has. Your contributions along with the vast majority on this site I love reading and engaging with. TOC do us all a favour and give us a break from you, better still a permanent one at that. This site needs people like @TQR

Very kind of you Steve, but I’m sure it’ll survive :)

I know we're all delighted for Kat and she is genuinely made up with an Olympic medal, even if it's silver, but it will irk her that all she needed was 10cm on her long jump and she'd be the champion. 6m50 instead of 6m40. For someone who's jumped 6m90 and jumped 6m60 to win the world title 12 months ago. Either that, or half a second quicker in her 200m. HALF A SECOND. When they say every point counts - they mean it! But to see her so happy in her interview - I'll take silver. Well done, girl.

• Like 2

Just now, TQR said:

Very kind of you Steve, but I’m sure it’ll survive :)

Even so my opinion and I am sure many others will agree with me this site needs you and your contribution @TQR. It's just not right someone like TOC can drive the well meaning participants of this forum away 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I haven't seen it yet (I'm bracing myself) and call me a fuddy-duddy dinosaur but what the holy fuck is this doing in the Olympics? I've enjoyed some of the recent additions and can see their worth, skateboarding, BMX, climbing, etc. but BREAKDANCING is NOT a sport. We've gone from winners and losers to judges scoring routines to now gold medals based on judges' "vibes". Absolute fucking nonsense. :facepalm:

Having inadvertently seen something of a 'routine' by the Aussie 'competitor' known as Raygun, and then seen the efforts of Megan Keith in the 10,000 metres, I can only conclude that you're 100% correct. Both are Olympians, but in no way are their achievements comparable.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I know we're all delighted for Kat and she is genuinely made up with an Olympic medal, even if it's silver, but it will irk her that all she needed was 10cm on her long jump and she'd be the champion. 6m50 instead of 6m40. For someone who's jumped 6m90 and jumped 6m60 to win the world title 12 months ago. Either that, or half a second quicker in her 200m. HALF A SECOND. When they say every point counts - they mean it! But to see her so happy in her interview - I'll take silver. Well done, girl.

I imagine it is virtually impossible to do seven events over two days and not have some regrets unless you win gold and the closer you are the easier it will be to find those small reasons why you didn’t win.

Of course Thiam will have them too but she will sleep better about hers.

How is there still diving going on? Surely this started on day 1? There's altogether too many medals for splish-splash of one description or another in the Olympics. Introducing break dancing hasn't improved it mind you.

13 hours ago, time said:

Having inadvertently seen something of a 'routine' by the Aussie 'competitor' known as Raygun, and then seen the efforts of Megan Keith in the 10,000 metres, I can only conclude that you're 100% correct. Both are Olympians, but in no way are their achievements comparable.

Caught it at the end of the main broadcast just before 10pm last night. Absolutely fucking farce. What I'd expect to find around the same time on MTV, not at the Olympic Games. Happy to report it's a demonstration event and is NOT on the schedule for Los Angeles 2028. Hopefully the Aussies don't bring it back in 2032.

8 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

I imagine it is virtually impossible to do seven events over two days and not have some regrets unless you win gold and the closer you are the easier it will be to find those small reasons why you didn’t win.

Of course Thiam will have them too but she will sleep better about hers.

Oh, absolutely, everyone knows a PB could put them in contention, but KJT knows that she had that in her yesterday and should probably have won. Thiam may have expected more in certain events, but with a gold medal around her neck, it doesn't matter and she won't give two hoots. But for Kat...so close. I mean, if she'd barely held onto silver against a tough bronze medallist, she wouldn't care. Or if she'd done amazingly but Nafi had scored 7,000+ and nearly broken the world record, again she'd done all she could. But they both found it tough, KJT was in it all the way and tiny amounts here and there in events she's more than capable of, would have nabbed her the gold. For context, 36 points was the third smallest winning margin since the event became a heptathlon in 1984. The second smallest was when Jess lost to Nafi in 2016 by 35 points and the only one smaller was the very first one, where Jackie Joyner (no Kersee then) lost to Glynnis Nunn of Australia by just 5 points. Denise Lewis won in 2000 by just over 50 points, and everybody else has won by at least 100. Thiam is undoubtedly phenomenal, for her consistency and longevity, but she's not got the air of invincibility that many top sportspeople do, mainly because Kat is also an exceptional heptathlete. Pleased to hear her interview this morning that suggests she's not intending to retire just yet either, but we'll see.

18 minutes ago, En Passant said:

How is there still diving going on? Surely this started on day 1? There's altogether too many medals for splish-splash of one description or another in the Olympics. Introducing break dancing hasn't improved it mind you.

There's 10m Platform and 3m Springboard categories. Men's and Women's in each. Individual and Synchronised in each. Heats and Finals in the Synchro, Preliminaries, Semis and Finals in the Individuals. Lots of medals, but nobody realistically gets more than 2, unless you are really good at both disciplines (platform and springboard) but I'm not sure anybody has done both at these Olympics.

16 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

It’s good for China, probably going to win every gold. It’s strange that the BBC chose David Brent to commentate on it.

For once, we agree. Leon does my head in too.

Finally! Noah Williams breaks the curse of the individual divers! Somehow seizes his opportunity as others fall apart and sneaks a bronze medal, and nearly a silver. A good bronze for a change!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

It’s good for China, probably going to win every gold

I thought that Japanese lad was going to nick it until he fucked up. 

I quite enjoy watching the diving, despite not being a gay man.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

I thought that Japanese lad was going to nick it until he fucked up. 

I quite enjoy watching the diving, despite not being a gay man.

I don't mind the diving but it's quite repetitive. And I'm only really watching because there's possibilities of GB medals. I am also not a gay man. We're taking it to another level tonight, apparently we've got a chance of a medal in the artistic swimming! (Formerly synchronised swimming). Good God...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

apparently we've got a chance of a medal in the artistic swimming!

I admit I may not be the most positive poster at times.... But along the lines of Harrysarmy above I'd rather watch my lawn grow than that - GB medal or not.

Men's Madison is going to absolute fuck. Crashes all over the place, including GB, who are absolutely nowhere. Laura Kenny's 8 Golds looks ludicrous, we'll be lucky to add to the 1 we've got at the moment.

The Fucking Madison is a complete shambles. Austria sprinted immediately and fucked themselves up. NZ/Germany crashed into each other, GB were crashed into by the Dutch, huge crash involving Spain and now one Italian has pulled his team mate over on the changeover. GB currently on -fucking9.

3 minutes ago, TQR said:

The Fucking Madison is a complete shambles. Austria sprinted immediately and fucked themselves up. NZ/Germany crashed into each other, GB were crashed into by the Dutch, huge crash involving Spain and now one Italian has pulled his team mate over on the changeover. GB currently on -fucking9.

The Spain crash was spectacular. Only just seen our crash (I left the second it happened to go to the loo, knowing chances had gone) - how were there no repercussions for that for the Dutch? Massive effort from Portugal, spectacular win and well deserved. 8 different nations for the 9 track golds so far:

Women's Sprint: GB

Men's Sprint: Netherlands

Women's Pursuit: USA

Men's Pursuit: Australia

Women's Madison: Italy

Men's Madison: Portugal

Men's Omnium: France

Women's Keirin: New Zealand

Men's Sprint: Netherlands (2)

Women's Sprint: ?

Men's Keirin: ?

Women's Omnium: ?

Obviously no Olympic events happening.

Half an hour of fucking heptathlete bean flicking.

As you were...

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

As you were...

Oh boo fucking hoo. In other news, KJT just said if she stays competitive she has every intention of being in LA in 2028. Project Gold is on - THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Kat Johnson-Thompson just wants to sleep and crash and yet she's been forced to have an interview.

8 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Kat Johnson-Thompson just wants to sleep and crash and yet she's been forced to have an interview.

Totally being forced. :facepalm: She's being let go now, what's she going to do? Oh, that's right, watch the athletics. It's the last 2 days of the Olympics. She can sleep on Monday, she'll soak up every second she can, I guarantee you.

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

As you were...

They're not showing the Women's Nattering final on the sports channels. They're showing live Olympic Games, shock horror.

• Like 2