weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

DL stands for Deathlist - the name of the site.

If you are asking for deathlists meaning, its probably safe to assume that it has no meaning. :)

I met a German soldier who served under Rommel several years ago.

One would think that 62 years or more is slightly more than several. :)

regards,

Hein

The oldest surviving world war I veteran in the U.S. is 104 year old Lloyd Brown. Here is a link to the story containing an interview with him:

Time overtaking World War I vets

The oldest surviving world war I veteran in the U.S. is 104 year old Lloyd Brown.  Here is a link to the story containing an interview with him:

Time overtaking World War I vets

No I think you'll find that Jud Wagner at 106 is older.

You are right. :lol:

So it would appear that many of those on that Wiki list are no longer with us ... :lol:

There are nearly 100 names in total, some as old as 112. :) That's the problem with compiling a list like that, it's going to get more out of date by the day.

On this subject I add the following cut and paste from "wiki" links that backs up data from the 110 years of age or older web site:

http://www.grg.org/Adams/E.HTM

that lists the following chap as the oldest living WWI vet.

Moses Hardy (born January 6, 1893) is one of the oldest surviving World War I veterans in the entire world and is the oldest living man in the United States. He was born in Aberdeen, Mississippi. Mr. Hardy served for one year (from July 1918 to July 1919) in France with the 805th Pioneer Infantry during the war and spent 39 days in combat. Mr. Hardy fathered eight children (only one of whom is still alive), returning to his hometown of Aberdeen after the war where he farmed, drove a school bus and sold cosmetics. He currently still lives in Aberdeen, MS.

With the death of Fred H. Hale, Sr. on November 19, 2004, he is the second-oldest known living man after Emiliano Mercado del Toro.

As far as I one of the oldest British survivors is now 109. He went back to France to lay a wreath this year. Sorry, Can't remember his name offhand and I'm too lazy to go and look on teletext. :lol:

Guest Guest

hahahahaha....wut the F**k is with that pic......hahahahahahahahahaha :lol::):(:(

Guest Guest

look im sorry im sorry.........................hahahahhahahahahhahaahahhaaha..thats F**k up man hahahhahahahahhahahahahaha :lol::):(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D

As far as I one of the oldest British survivors is now 109. He went back to France to lay a wreath this year. Sorry, Can't remember his name offhand and I'm too lazy to go and look on teletext. :lol:

That person is 109 year old Henry Allingham, who was born on June 6th, 1896.

Regards,

ff

Guest Diane V

My grandfather was a WWI vet, he died at the age of 99 in August 1990, he was just a few months shy of his 100th birthday.

I would also be interested in finding a vets list. I have no idea where he was stationed or anything much about his service. I don't even know where he was living before he served.

If he won any notable decoration during the war check the London Gazette for his name.

Alfred Anderson, who remembered the Christmas truce and was Scotland's oldest living resident has just died. Can't find a news link at this second though there'll be one up within minutes.

Thanks

What a man, eh?

I had an uncle who fought in WW1 he was shot in the chest & the bullit went straight through him and did not kill him. He lived a very long and healthy life. After leaving the pub one evening a motor cyclist mounted the pavement run him down and killed him instantly. he was eighty years old.It just goes to show, your time's not up, till it's up.

it would seem odd for there to be more U.S. Veterans than Brits, as they were only in the war for 1 year.

Well I think this explains itself. If in a war for a shorter time there would be less loss of life (under normal circumstances) which means less mental stress caused by losing a buddy in a war which would lead to a happier and therefore healthier and quite possibly longer life span.

On the other side of the argument though: The Americans had less experience when they came to the war and repeated mistakes that the British had made earlier (I.E. at the Somme). So their death rates initially were quite high.

Also at the end of the war the fighting left the trenches, which caused higher casualty levels as soldiers had less protection.

Fascinating thread. Can I just correct one impression. While it's true to say that the Americans repeated the mistakes of the Somme initially, they were to acquit themselves well at St Mihiel. In fact they took so much ground so swiftly that the French sent a team of officers over to work out why. They decided it was because the Americans had longer legs and bigger feet. Banshee I would commend a book called the Doughboys by Gary Mead. I have met quite a few WWI veterans over the years and walked a lot of the battlefields. It's sad to see them go.

Guest hap

Duke Procter has died: William "Duke" Procter

I believe there are only 3 Canadian WW1 vets left:

Lloyd Clemett of Toronto,

Dwight Wilson of Oshawa,

John Babcock of Spokane.