Death list boy

1. Jimmy Carter

1 minute ago, Tango854 said:

if you make a joke about the descent into insanity that many American Evangelicals are currently experiencing apparently that makes you an idiot and not the people who cannot even remotely understand what 'comedy' is.

To put Christians and a man who was insane and took people away from their brokenhearted families, and had them kill themselves. in the same category is disgusting. The world seen this as a devastating tragedy and you want to make a mockery of it. I really do not care that you are not a believer, but have some decency and respect for others.

• Thanks 2

Well, here we are at page 100, and a user whose name has an 'ango' in it is in the middle of a tantrum. Plus ça fucking change.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, livingbygrace said:

To put Christians and a man who was insane and took people away from their brokenhearted families, and had them kill themselves. in the same category is disgusting. The world seen this as a devastating tragedy and you want to make a mockery of it. I really do not care that you are not a believer, but have some decency and respect for others.

Heavengate was a form of twisted Christianity yes, but it was still a form of Christianity. And again american Evangelicals are either slowly descending into insanity, or are already completely batshit, probably the latter.

• Facepalm 3

I've stopped looking at this page for news about Jimmy Carter and just get popcorn to watch arguments. Admins can you delete the random bullshit already.

• Like 3

On 22/02/2024 at 13:39, Trome said:

At this rate this thread will reach 100 pages before Jimmy turns 100.

Congratulations!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TQR said:

Well, here we are at page 100, and a user whose name has an 'ango' in it is in the middle of a tantrum. Plus ça fucking change.

FWIW I'd never condone Tango's behaviour. I think he and @jondarru are the same person.

5 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I've stopped looking at this page for news about Jimmy Carter and just get popcorn to watch arguments. Admins can you delete the random bullshit already.

Sorry ladyfiona.. I apologize for my part in not staying on topic.  Usually I just ignore most of the BS but the comment rubbed me the wrong way.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tango854 said:

if you make a joke about the descent into insanity that many American Evangelicals are currently experiencing, apparently that makes you an idiot and not the people who cannot even remotely understand what 'comedy' is.

as a comedian, i think i have a decent understanding of what comedy is, friend

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

as a comedian, i think i have a decent understanding of what comedy is, friend

You're not a comedian.

• Thanks 1

How about locking this thread for everyone except administrators. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, livingbygrace said:

This is especially inappropriate when you consider the fact that Jimmy himself is a Christian, and so was Rosalynn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, livingbygrace said:

To put Christians and a man who was insane and took people away from their brokenhearted families, and had them kill themselves. in the same category is disgusting

The two are not mutually exclusive.

36 minutes ago, sadgirldreaming93 said:

This is especially inappropriate when you consider the fact that Jimmy himself is a Christian

No, it isn't, because, as above.

I find the idea that christians (or any other religion) somehow stand on higher moral ground by default than those who do not believe offensive. I don't generally care for the 'I'm offended' argument but I'll make an exception.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I find the idea that christians (or any other religion) somehow stand on higher moral ground by default than those who do not believe offensive.

Agree completely. I was about to say “preach” but that’d be inappropriate.

• Haha 1

176 days until JC turns 100. And 115 days until he surpasses the Duke of Edinburgh. 

Interest picking in my Celebrity Spread Deathing group...

4 hours ago, En Passant said:

I find the idea that christians (or any other religion) somehow stand on higher moral ground by default than those who do not believe offensive. I don't generally care for the 'I'm offended' argument but I'll make an exception.

Except that no one was making that claim here. There was, however, the attempt to equate some fringe cult with Christianity as a whole, as well as posts looking down on Evangelical Christians. Respect and acceptance go both ways.

1 hour ago, sadgirldreaming93 said:

Except that no one was making that claim here.

Are you serious? This is exactly what you were (both) doing even if you considered you weren't doing it explicitly.

There's a reason I couched my response as causing offence rather than in some other way (even though as stated it's not my preferred style) - I used it precisely because people make these statements blithely without considering the implication of their comment in a wider context.

Your view (and livingbygraces) may well be that tango attacked christianity directly and you are merely defending it. But your response needs amending if you want to avoid others reading it the same way I did.

1 hour ago, sadgirldreaming93 said:

There was, however, the attempt to equate some fringe cult with Christianity as a whole, as well as posts looking down on Evangelical Christians. Respect and acceptance go both ways.

To be crystal clear, I am not agreeing with the position of the OP (Tango854), to be honest I'm not entirely certain what point he was trying to make.

Since this thread has long ago gone to the dogs anyway, I'm also not apologising for posting here  :evil2:

If Biden’s post-presidency lasts as long as Carter’s has (so far) he’d be 125 (and also the oldest person to have ever lived)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, En Passant said:

Are you serious? This is exactly what you were (both) doing even if you considered you weren't doing it explicitly.

There's a reason I couched my response as causing offence rather than in some other way (even though as stated it's not my preferred style) - I used it precisely because people make these statements blithely without considering the implication of their comment in a wider context.

Your view (and livingbygraces) may well be that tango attacked christianity directly and you are merely defending it. But your response needs amending if you want to avoid others reading it the same way I did.

From what I can see, all livingbygrace said was that you should respect Christians as human beings even if you're not one yourself, and not act like tragic cases of fringe cults are somehow representative of the Christian faith. I agreed with this sentiment and mentioned the fact that Jimmy (is) and Rosalynn (was) Christian as well. The feeding the poor, loving their neighbor kind. And this only came as a response to someone choosing to make fun and look down on Evangelical Christians for no discernible reason. So I think this is very much a case of being offended when nothing offensive was said or meant. This forum has a lot of harsh posts, so it seems a bit strange that anyone would be bothered by the 2-3 harmless comments you're referring to.

9 hours ago, sadgirldreaming93 said:

From what I can see

Livingbygrace implies that it would be perfectly ok if the perpetrator had done whatever evil thing it was they actually did (I still can't work out what exactly tango was on about) had they not been a christian.

It only disgusts her because it's stated about a christian. You doubled down on that.

Neither of you explicitly said, "Oh it's ok if this is done by a non-christian" but you didn't have to, it's implied.

If you don't see that, well, you don't. There's no more I could say really.

Edit: for what it's worth, tango has made a fair few inflamatory posts from what I read of them but I don't generally respond to that kind of troll seriously, you see far too many on here. So it's not like I'm taking sides against you, I'm not.

19 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Livingbygrace implies that it would be perfectly ok if the perpetrator had done whatever evil thing it was they actually did (I still can't work out what exactly tango was on about) had they not been a christian.

It only disgusts her because it's stated about a christian. You doubled down on that.

Neither of you explicitly said, "Oh it's ok if this is done by a non-christian" but you didn't have to, it's implied.

If you don't see that, well, you don't. There's no more I could say really.

Edit: for what it's worth, tango has made a fair few inflamatory posts from what I read of them but I don't generally respond to that kind of troll seriously, you see far too many on here. So it's not like I'm taking sides against you, I'm not.

Absolutely not sir!!  Never implied such thing. If the comment was against buddhist Muslims or any ethnic group I would have been just as upset with the persons comment. 

• Thanks 1

How have you people managed to make this thread even worse?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

How have you people managed to make this thread even worse?

Diligence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think it’s time to take this thread out back and shoot it

• Like 6

It's a really sad state of affairs that only Jimmy's death will ever bring about world peace and unity on this thread at this point. 

• Like 4

Jmmy Carter just announced his 2024 Presidential Campaign. Says the other guys are too old!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1