Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Reading the WWI veterans thread got me thinking - how many people who were born in the 1800s are still with us? Seeing as the youngest will be 108 this year it can't be too many, but are there any actual figures available?

It's odd thinking that when I used to read the Guinness Book Of Records avidly (before it was dumbed down into a bitesize-info kids book) there were loads - probably hundreds of thousands - but now... ?

• Like 1

Guest Guest

the oldest person in the world is in fact a WWI veteran and the oldest man in the world as well....115...puerto rico I b elieve since the oldest living woman and oldest living person alive passed on a few months ago..

looking at the DL for 2007, I'm a little disapointed, I'm sure we could have chosen a couple of better candidates..hopefully I'm proven wrong!

Cheers, Happy New Year!

Reading the WWI veterans thread got me thinking - how many people who were born in the 1800s are still with us? Seeing as the youngest will be 108 this year it can't be too many, but are there any actual figures available?

It's odd thinking that when I used to read the Guinness Book Of Records avidly (before it was dumbed down into a bitesize-info kids book) there were loads - probably hundreds of thousands - but now... ?

The question raises the inevitable debate as to whether being born in 1900 counts as being born in the 19th century - it should.

The question raises the inevitable debate as to whether being born in 1900 counts as being born in the 19th century - it should.

Well, yes and it actually does since the calender year of 1900 represents the one-thousand-and-nine-hundreth year, and that means the entire year so it therefore is part of the 19th century.

They ran this one on the Jeopardy television show years back.....I think Art Flemming may have been the Emcee back then....and nobody got it right. I however drunk as could be, got it right. Several times since Jeopardy (now with formerly sexy Alex Trebek...he has not aged well) has rerun the question/answer and even tried an updated version a while back along the lines of "This will be the first year of the twenty-first century." The answer of course was "What is 2001?' Once more the supposed brains got it wrong....all 3 of them. Jeopardy, a program wihich shows just how stupid people really are.

Anyways the point Pooka, is that you are indeed correct. Since we are in agreement, there will be no need for anyone to debate this or question our wisdom and veracity.

Anyways the point Pooka, is that you are indeed correct. Since we are in agreement, there will be no need for anyone to debate this or question our wisdom and veracity.

It's my thread so I'll say what I like. While the title is 'born in the 19th century' (of which 1900 is), you know I mean up to 1899. So ner.

A Jewish woman who survived the Tsars, Stalin and Hitler dies in New York aged 106 years.

Don't know if she has been mentioned anywhere else.

Edit: I was looking for the 'Soft Targets' thread but the search feature is broken.

I don't care what anybody says, Hugo Bliecher is dead.

What about Hugo Bliecher?

Do you care what he has to say on the matter?

I don't care what anybody says, Hugo Bliecher is dead.

What about Hugo Bliecher?

Do you care what he has to say on the matter?

It's such a shame I left out that all who listed him in death competition are very foolish. Prove me wrong. Can you speak fluent German? (Stehen Sie steif, Erheben Sie Kopf hoch, Und wählen Sie die Telefonnummer. )

Can you speak fluent German? (Stehen Sie steif, Erheben Sie Kopf hoch, Und wählen Sie die Telefonnummer. )

No, but some of my friends can...

Either way it doesn't really matter. Of course wouldn't it be something if Brunner or Heim were uncovered in a german living room?

Either way it doesn't really matter. Of course wouldn't it be something if Brunner or Heim were uncovered in a german living room?

I am new to this site. Is there a place here where you can register your own deathlist. I note some have them in their postings.

Welcome A.C.D.U....

Unfortunately you've missed the deadline for this year, We mostly compete here (other deadpools are available, we take no responsibility etc....)

I am new to this site. Is there a place here where you can register your own deathlist. I note some have them in their postings.

Welcome A.C.D.U....

Unfortunately you've missed the deadline for this year, We mostly compete here (other deadpools are available, we take no responsibility etc....)

Thanks. Typical, always too late! A group of friends and I meet each year to pick our list and that's tomorrow night. Hence the research! Good to be part of this group.

A user on wikipedia tried to create a category for survivors of the 19th century, but it was deleted by administrators per some odd technicality. He kept the list on his userpage: here.

Although note that these are the survivors that have wiki articles. GRG (Gerontology Research Group) has a continually updated table of validated supercentenarians (110+). 83 are currently on the list. In 3 years, survivors of the 19th century will be essentially the same as the list of validated supercentenarians. For now, I would guess that there are easily 3-400 survivors of the 19th century left.

Since the validated 110+s break down like so:

115: 2

114: 2

113: 6

112: 13

111: 25

110: 35

One could project

109: 56

108: 94

107: 145

I would say that the list will be narrowed down to a number similar to the WW1 vets in about 3 years. Until then, a sizable amount of survivors are still alive.

Julie Winnefred Bertrand Dead. Worlds oldest woman. was anyway.

Edited by football_fan

Here is a Canadian link

First points for my CPDP regular team. It is about time :P

Here is a Canadian link

First points for my CPDP regular team. It is about time :P

ah good i was looking for some sort of decent link. yep points for me too. :)