Guest deathgal

The President's Men

Just rename this thread to fit Nixon in general, no need to make more.

• Like 1

Just rename this thread to fit Nixon in general, no need to make more.

I agree.

Nixon did some of the most amazing things as President, and some of the most heinous. He was a study in extreme contrasts, liberally colored with paranoia and an ironic lack of self confidence. He surrounded himself by sycophants who were too happy in their positions of access to the White House to speak up when Nixon crossed the line.

Although primarily remembered for Watergate, Nixon is a fascinating study.

Nixon was someone who worried a lot and once he began playing dice they decided to call it Watergate.

Nixon was just someone who worried a lot and once he began playing dice they decided to call it Watergate.

It was called Watergate because of where the break in took place at The Watergate a group of strange futuristic looking buildings.

Years later a woman in a different Presidential scandal moved in, her name was Monica and she had a blue dress with drippings from either salad dressing or a President name Clinton.

Progressive icon Bob Kastenmeier, Dane County’s longtime congressman, dies at 91 - During impeachment proceedings for President Richard Nixon in 1974, Kastenmeier directed the drafting of rules that governed the Judiciary Committee hearings - which earned him a spot on the infamous Nixon enemies list!

Gerald Lee Warren, Nixon's deputy press secretary and recipient of enemies memo, dies at 84. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/mar/20/jerry-warren-obituary/

Progressive icon Bob Kastenmeier, Dane County’s longtime congressman, dies at 91 - During impeachment proceedings for President Richard Nixon in 1974, Kastenmeier directed the drafting of rules that governed the Judiciary Committee hearings - which earned him a spot on the infamous Nixon enemies list!

I'm pleased to see this thread revived and active! About time the last of these scoundrels checked in for their ultimate punishment for deeds done on earth!

Robert P. Griffin Dies at 91; Senator Urged Nixon to Quit - delivered a critical blow to Richard M. Nixon’s presidency by withdrawing his support during the Watergate crisis, died Thursday in Traverse City, Mich. He was 91.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/18/us/politics/robert-p-griffin-dies-at-91-senator-urged-nixon-to-quit.html?

Gaylord D. Shaw, Pulitzer Prize-Winning Reporter, Dies at 73; was credited with breaking the news that Richard M. Nixon would resign as president, died on Sunday at his home in Duncan, Okla. He was 73.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/business/media/gaylord-d-shaw-pulitzer-prize-winning-reporter-dies-at-73.html

Thanks for the "esteemed" compliment, and I also thought of making this thread a while back.

The surviving members of the main list of 20 names are as follows:

John Conyers Jr., 83, former Congressman

Ron Dellums, 77, former Congressman and Mayor of Oakland

Morton Halperin, 74, foreign policy advisor

Sidney Davidoff, 73, lawyer

The Master List, compiled by the late Charles Colson, is much larger:

Senators:

George McGovern, 90 (Ran against Nixon in 1972)

Walter Mondale, 84 (Vice-President under Jimmy Carter, ran against Reagan in 1984)

Birch Bayh, 84

Fred R. Harris, 82

Congressmen:

Robert Kastenmeier, 88

John Brademas, 85

Black Congressmen (Colson's category, not mine.)

Louis Stokes, 87

Charlie Rangel, 82 (Still serving)

Bill Clay, 81

Other:

Carol Channing, 91, entertainer

Noam Chomsky, 84, academic

Dick Gregory, 80, comedian

Barbara Steisand, 80, entertainer

Bill Cosby, 75, comedian and actor

Jane Fonda, 75, actress

Joe Namath, 69, NFL quarterback

The rest are an assortment of minor union leaders, journalists, and political advocates.

Charlie Rangel is profiled in NY Magazine upon his retirement. He collapsed in June at an award ceremony apparently. Also details his past health struggles.

Don't you just hate cut and paste?

Name Occupation Birth Death Known for

Dwayne Andreas Business 4-Mar-1918 Archer Daniels Midland CEO

*snip*

Dwayne Andreas has died aged 98. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dwayne-andreas-adm-ceo-dies-age-98-43588205

DDP pick.

Edit: Daily Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3943480/Dwayne-Andreas-ex-ADM-CEO-dies-age-98.html

He may not be on THIS list but since Y-Dub wants to resurrect deceased threads.....

Melvin R. Laird, who as defense secretary under President Richard Nixon oversaw the drawdown of U.S. forces in Vietnam and ended the military draft, died Wednesday at age 94.

SC

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/melvin-laird-defense-secretary-under-nixon-who-ended-draft-dies-n685041

• Like 1

On 03/07/2012 at 08:14, adrian0719 said:

Birch Bayh, Senator from Indiana, 89

Fred R. Harris, Senator from Oklahoma, 86

George McGovern, Senator/Presidential Candidate

Walter Mondale, Vice President, 89

John Brademas, Majority Whip for US House/President of NYU

Robert Kastenmeier, Congressman from Wisconsin

Bill Clay, Congressman from Missouri, 86

John Conyers, Congressman from Michigan, 88

Ron Dellums, Congressman from California/Mayor of Oakland, 81

Charles B. Rangel, Congressman from New York, 87

Louis Stokes, Congressman from Ohio

Leslie H. Gelb, New York Times Correspondent/Current President Emeritus of The Council on Foreign Relations, 80

Morton Halperin, foreign policy and civil liberties expert, 79

Marcus Raskin, social critic, political activist, author, 83

James S. Doyle, journalist for Washington Star and activist, 82

Richard Dudman, journalist, chief of St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Julius Duscha, journalist for Washingtonian

Pete Hamill, columnist and editor for New York Post and The New York Daily News, 82

Stanley Karnow, foreign correspondent for Washington Post

Morton Kondracke, Executive Editor of Roll Call, 78

Stuart Loory, journalist for Los Angeles Times

Frank Mankiewicz, syndicated columnist for Los Angeles Times

William Prochnau, journalist for Seattle Times, 80

Warren Unna, reporter for Washington Post

Milton Viorst, reporter, writer, 87

Gary Wills, journalist and historian, 83

Robert Manning, editor Atlantic

Marvin Kalb, journalist for CBS, 87

Sander Vanocur, journalist for NBC, 89

Carol Channing, singer, actress, comedienne, 96

Bill Cosby, actor, 80

Jane Fonda, 79

Joe Namath, football player, 74

Barbara Streisand, actress, singer, 75

Dick Gregory, comedian

Lawrence S. Phillips, chairman of Phillips-Van Heusen

Clifford Alexander Jr., Secretary of the Army, lawyer, LBJ's special assistant, 83

Hugh Calkins, member of Harvard Corp.

Ramsey Clark, Attorney General, 89

Victor Palmieri, lawyer, Ambassador at Large, 87

Henry Rowan, president of Rand Corp.

Milton Semer, chairman of Muskie Election Committee

Arthur Taylor, CBS President

Derek Bok, president and dean of Harvard, 87

Avram Noam Chomsky, academic, 88

Carl Djerassi, co-inventor of "the pill"

Daniel Ellsberg, leaked The Pentagon Papers, 86

Matthew Meselson, researched DNA extensively, chemical and biological weapons activist and consultant, 87

Joseph Rhodes Jr., Congressman from Pennsylvania, fellow at Harvard, Scranton Commission on Campus Unrest

Jeremy Stone, President of Federation of American Scientists

After the death of Dick Gregory, I've brought this list up to date. Still a considerably large portion of them knocking around - secret to a long life = anti Nixonism?

I was going over my list of still living Watergate figures and discovered that Wikipedia has Kenneth Parkinson down as having died in late 2016 but they have no citation and I can’t find one. Does anyone know if this is true?

3 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

I was going over my list of still living Watergate figures and discovered that Wikipedia has Kenneth Parkinson down as having died in late 2016 but they have no citation and I can’t find one. Does anyone know if this is true?

The Wiki entry is asking for proof/citation as you noted.  Parkinson would assuredly get a NYTimes obit, so I'll maintain doubts as to the veracity of his death at this time.  
SC

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2012 at 08:14, adrian0719 said:

Our esteemed poster, AngryGreatness gave me the idea for this topic, when he posted about the death of Julian Goodman, who was on the list, in the Watergate Figures thread.

I decided to start a whole new thread for Dick's enemies. There were a few, maybe 10, for which I couldn't find birthdates, but they probably weren't/aren't very notable, so I decided not to include them.

*snip*

Marcus Raskin, social critic, political activist, author, 78

*snip*

Marcus Raskin, dead at 83. https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/26/marcus-raskin-think-tank-founder-who-helped-shape-liberal-ideas-dies-at-83/

Oh. Also an activist on the deficit. One of the people who claim to care about public finances but who are more interested in increasing their own wealth.

• Like 2