Guest deathgal

The President's Men

How about a president's woman?

Anna Chennault, a Chinese-born writer and business executive who married a storied American general and became a Washington hostess, Republican Party activist and secret emissary for candidate Richard Nixon during the 1968 presidential campaign, died March 30 at her home in Washington. She was 94.  She had complications from a recent stroke.

Chennault gained international fame in 1947, when she married a swashbuckling World War II hero, Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault, in Shanghai. At the beginning of the war, he organized the Flying Tigers, a volunteer group of American airmen in China, then a U.S. ally.  He was three decades her senior.

SC

• Like 2

Just now, Death Impends said:

Edward Nixon, the youngest and last surviving of Richard Nixon's brothers, dead at 88.

Co-chair of CREEP, I understand.

Was he ever indicted?

31 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Co-chair of CREEP, I understand.

Was he ever indicted?

No he was not indicted and I don’t believe he was ever implicated in any particular wrong doing in regard to Watergate. 

Point of interest, with the exception of Jean Kennedy Smith, there are now no living presidential siblings until George H. W. Bush’s. 

• Like 1

*deleted* in another thread already.

On 03/07/2012 at 08:14, adrian0719 said:

Our esteemed poster, AngryGreatness gave me the idea for this topic, when he posted about the death of Julian Goodman, who was on the list, in the Watergate Figures thread.

I decided to start a whole new thread for Dick's enemies. There were a few, maybe 10, for which I couldn't find birthdates, but they probably weren't/aren't very notable, so I decided not to include them.

Louis Stokes, Congressman from Ohio, 87

Leslie H. Gelb, New York Times Correspondent/Current President Emeritus of The Council on Foreign Relations, 75

Morton Halperin, foreign policy and civil liberties expert, 74

Leslie H. Gelb, former columnist and correspondent for the NYT and the President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations, has died aged 82.

• Like 1

Alice Mayhew, the literary editor for All The President's Men, dead at 87. She went on to edit 19 books by Bob Woodward (including 2018's Fear: Trump In The White House), as well as works by Jimmy Carter and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. 

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2012 at 08:14, adrian0719 said:

Our esteemed poster, AngryGreatness gave me the idea for this topic, when he posted about the death of Julian Goodman, who was on the list, in the Watergate Figures thread.

I decided to start a whole new thread for Dick's enemies. There were a few, maybe 10, for which I couldn't find birthdates, but they probably weren't/aren't very notable, so I decided not to include them.

SNIP

Pete Hamill, columnist and editor for New York Post and The New York Daily News, 77

SNIP

Pete Hamill reportedly dead:

One of the men who disarmed Sirhan Sirhan after the Robert F Kennedy assassination.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0357687/

• Like 1

Pete Hamill an honest to goodness huge name in the industry, and in general.  

On 18/04/2019 at 23:47, YoungWillz said:

Pick for me in the DDP a year or two ago James W McCord, Watergate Burglar, died waaaay back in 2017: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12223765

Nice of them to tell us now....

And now Eugenio Martínez (wiki) has died aged 98.

Means that Virgilio Gonzalez (wiki) is the last survivor of the 5 Watergate burglars. He turns 95 in May.

• Like 2

On 01/02/2021 at 18:29, Ulitzer95 said:

And now Eugenio Martínez (wiki) has died aged 98.

Means that Virgilio Gonzalez (wiki) is the last survivor of the 5 Watergate burglars. He turns 95 in May.

New York Times obit for Martinez reveals Virgilio Gonzalez died in 2014. Death announcement here. Second Watergate burglar this happened with after James McCord!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

New York Times obit for Martinez reveals Virgilio Gonzalez died in 2014. Death announcement here. Second Watergate burglar this happened with after James McCord!

Good spot. I did suspect that he may have died off radar but the fact that ABC News interviewed him in 2012 was enough to think “alright the MSM must have contacts for him on file, they’d know”.

Just 2 of the 14 indicted still living then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_Seven

Yeah, after McCord I'm actually more surprised by Martinez's death being revealed two days after it happened than by Gonzalez dying off radar.

26 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Good spot. I did suspect that he may have died off radar but the fact that ABC News interviewed him in 2012 was enough to think “alright the MSM must have contacts for him on file, they’d know”.

Possibly 3 as there still isn’t an adequate citation for the death of Kenneth Parkinson, the only one acquitted. Wikipedia has him dying in October of 2016 but I’ve been looking for confirmation since then and have found nothing. 

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

Virgilio is actually a pretty common name in a lot of Spanish speaking countries and that carried over to a Latino's in the Us ,so I could see how his death flew under the radar the same way a notable Bob Smith or Roger Taylor if they were out of the spotlight for decades.

37 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

And one of them is G Gordon Liddy, "one of my favourite Watergate judges" to quote a clearly pished out her tiny Joan Rivers at Wrestlemania 2!

1 hour ago, Drewsky1211 said:

G. Gordon Liddy dead at 90.

A very significant death indeed . Would be surprised not to see a lot of obits including on tv.  This  pretty much  means all living participants in the Watergate Affair  are now dead I suppose.

Sure enough the obits are flooding in ! https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB854GB854&sxsrf=ALeKk03vv5a5f-cVnLCNhqKxlAtYYRPQWA:1617154577969&q=G.+Gordon+Liddy&tbm=nws&source=univ&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8lqqhstnvAhXW8LsIHfmxAYcQt8YBKAJ6BAgFEAM&biw=1260&bih=631

3 hours ago, Grim Peter said:

A very significant death indeed . Would be surprised not to see a lot of obits including on tv.  This  pretty much  means all living participants in the Watergate Affair  are now dead I suppose.

Sure enough the obits are flooding in ! https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB854GB854&sxsrf=ALeKk03vv5a5f-cVnLCNhqKxlAtYYRPQWA:1617154577969&q=G.+Gordon+Liddy&tbm=nws&source=univ&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8lqqhstnvAhXW8LsIHfmxAYcQt8YBKAJ6BAgFEAM&biw=1260&bih=631

John Dean 

Alfred Baldwin 

Spencer Oliver 

Hugh Sloan 

Judy Hoback Miller 

Alexander Butterfield 

Dwight Chapin 

Kenneth Parkinson ?

Gordon Strachan 

Daniel Ellsberg 

Herbert Porter 

Carl Bernstein 

Bob Woodward 

David Young 

Earl Silbert 

Harry Rosenfeld 

Barry Sussman 

Donald Segretti 

Still some big names around. 

On 31/03/2021 at 06:01, arrowsmith said:

John Dean 

Alfred Baldwin 

Spencer Oliver 

Hugh Sloan 

Judy Hoback Miller 

Alexander Butterfield 

Dwight Chapin 

Kenneth Parkinson ?

Gordon Strachan 

Daniel Ellsberg 

Herbert Porter 

Carl Bernstein 

Bob Woodward 

David Young 

Earl Silbert 

Harry Rosenfeld 

Barry Sussman 

Donald Segretti 

I don't know if anyone has been watching the excellent Watergate on BBC4 (originally shown in 1994 and I avidly watched it then) but the narrator and series writer Fred Emery is still alive. 

Add to the list of living (all featured in the series) 

FBI prosecutor Angelo Lano, prosecution lawyer Richard Ben Veniste and prosecutor Carl Feldbaum. 

On 31/03/2021 at 06:01, arrowsmith said:

John Dean 

Alfred Baldwin 

Spencer Oliver 

Hugh Sloan 

Judy Hoback Miller 

Alexander Butterfield 

Dwight Chapin 

Kenneth Parkinson ?

Gordon Strachan 

Daniel Ellsberg 

Herbert Porter 

Carl Bernstein 

Bob Woodward 

David Young 

Earl Silbert 

Harry Rosenfeld 

Barry Sussman 

Donald Segretti 

Harry M. Rosenfeld, an editor at The Washington Post during the Watergate coverage, dead at 91 from COVID-19 complications.

• Like 2

Interesting one this.

John G Stewart, aide to Hubert Humphrey and involved in the drafting of the Civil Rights legislation in the 1960s, has died aged 86: https://eu.knoxnews.com/story/news/politics/2021/09/30/john-g-stewart-dies-tennessee-democrat-ally-civil-rights-legislation-tva/5930554001/

It was his office at the Watergate in which the burglars were discovered.

• Like 6