Lady Grendel

Funereal Music

Let's not forget that in such matters so even if I die and request a specific funeral song in my will or in pre-need arragements, immediate family members can override that decision if they so choose.

If you make the playing of a certain song a condition of any inheritance, then your wishes are quite likely to be adhered to.

No sarkiness was intended ie+, I really don't believe the BBC on so many of these type of stories.

When the Today programme ran an item on songs for funerals, the top three mentioned by its listeners were:

1. Return to sender

2. No regrets - Edith Piaf

3. Always look on the bright side of life.

Let's not forget that in such matters so even if I die and request a specific funeral song in my will or in pre-need arragements, immediate family members can override that decision if they so choose.

If you make the playing of a certain song a condition of any inheritance, then your wishes are quite likely to be adhered to.

From what I understand, even such a stipulation is not legally binding. Like the whole Hollywood movie concept of to inherit x million pounds you must marry within the year etc.... Entirely legally non-enforcable. Though I don't have any facts currently to hand to back this assertion up.

From what I understand, even such a stipulation is not legally binding. Like the whole Hollywood movie concept of to inherit x million pounds you must marry within the year etc.... Entirely legally non-enforcable. Though I don't have any facts currently to hand to back this assertion up.

I have no idea either, but one should never let the lack of facts get in the way, push on, push on. Jolly boating weather and a hay harvest breeze, if you know what I mean.

In all actuality I probably won't be having music played at my funeral. Why spoil a good thing?

Many monthes have now passed and elapsed as the earth moved in eliptical orbit since last a posting was made in this area.

Earlier I was listening to some music and heard this little ditty which I felt would lend itself appropriatly to this topic......here included are the lyrics as performed by Son House

Death Letter Blues

Artist: Son House Lyrics

Song: Death Letter Blues Lyrics

Hey, I solemnly swear, Lord, I raise my right hand

That I'm goin' get me a woman, you get you another man

I solemnly swear, Lord, I raise my right hand

That I'm goin' get me a woman, you get you another man

I got a letter this morning, how do you reckon it read?

"Oh, hurry, hurry, gal, you love is dead"

I got a letter this morning, how do you reckon it read?

"Oh, hurry, hurry, gal, you love is dead"

I grabbed my suitcase, I took off, up the road

I got there, she was laying on the cooling board

I grabbed my suitcase, I took on up the road

I got there, she was laying on the cooling board

Well, I walked up close, I looked down in her face

Good old gal, you got to lay here till Judgment Day

I walked up close, and I looked down in her face

Yes, been a good old gal, got to lay here till Judgment Day

Oh, my woman so black, she stays apart of this town

Can't nothin' "go" when the poor girl is around

My black mama stays apart of this town

Oh, can't nothing "go" when the poor girl is around

Oh, some people tell me the worried blues ain't bad (note 1)

It's the worst old feelin' that I ever had

Some people tell me the worried blues ain't bad

Buddy, the worst old feelin', Lord, I ever had

Hmmm, I fold my arms, and I walked away

"That's all right, mama, your trouble will come someday"

I fold my arms, Lord, I walked away

Say, "That's all right, mama, your trouble will come someday"

No doubt there are already threads on the subject, but I'm too lazy to find them of course. Anyway, I just wanted to celebrate some of the fine music that has embraced the concept in some way or other.

I'll kick things off with the great Jacques Brel's My Death, pretty much the most existential number I've ever heard, with the most bloodcurdlingly garish chord change (D to G#m for you musos) known to man - actually that's only in the equally great Scott Walker's cover version - Jacques' original has a much lighter and more sardonic feel.

In fact, quite a bit of Jacques' stuff is preoccupied with death, and of course he died pretty young after doing just about all he could to hasten himself to the grave.

Anyone else got a favourite that gets to the gist of the matter? I'm sure there are people out there for whom even Whigfield's Saturday Night leaves them pondering on what it's all about in the end, really...

Harry Mac.

(thread merged- NAP)

A couple of doozies for ya - Jacques Brel's Funeral Tango

(Oh I can see me now

So cold and so alone

As the flowers slowly die

In my field of little bones

Oh I can see me now

I can see me at the end

Of this voyage that I/m on

Without a love without a friend

Now all this that I see

Is not what I deserve

They really have a nerve

To say these things to me

No girls just bread and water

And your money you must save

For there'll be nothing left for us

When you're dead and in your grave )

and Drugstore's My Funeral, which somehow features the incomparable lines "All my ex-lovers will talk through the night

Heartbreaking tales of passion and pride

And they’ll say

That I had a c**t made of gold"

Most popular song played at UK funerals is no longer Angels, but James Blunts Goodbye My Lover

pukingco0.gif

TF - by no means do I question your sources. However, given the demographics of those dying at the moment, I would assume the most popular funereal song to be Sinatra's I Did it My Way. Bit of a cliche of course, but then most older people are.

Probably true ie+, I've never heard it myself at a funeral, but I am sure it is played along with 'Wind Beneath My Wings' they must be 2 of the most popular songs. I've heard 'See You on the Other Side' by Ozzy Osbourne at the funeral of a good friend who sadly killed himself and 'Goodnight Sweetheart' at the funeral of an octegenarian uncle of scsi's. I'm afraid up here in Scotland the 23rd Psalm prevails at most funerals.

Whatever, I don't mind.

Perhaps we could change the title of this one to include your topic. Or something.

I'll leave it this way for now. Perhaps another mod will do something before tomorrow.

As long as the change doesn't affect 'funereal' I'll be happy, as for the rest of it, the mods can play about with it to their hearts content :blink: .

Killed by Death - Motorhead

BOC's (Don't Fear) The Reaper.

unless you've posted something off topic, of course.

A classic song.

Classic, but could have done with a bit more cowbell I think.

A classic song.

Classic, but could have done with a bit more cowbell I think.

A classic song.

Great song - but only to be played where there is suicide really.............. or even a suicide pact.

Here are a couple of toetappers guaranteed to get any wake going, both popularised by cheery ex-prostitute and smackhead Billie Holiday:

Strange Fruit, the toppermost of the poppermost when it comes to lynching songs.

Gloomy Sunday, an allegedly cursed folk tune responsible for much madness and suicide. Ted Moult's version was the definitive one in my book.

I'm putting the compulsory playing of this DVD into my will, to be played at my wake with lots of booze and singing along, just to upset most of my friends and family.