VSBfromH

Not Exactly Famous...

Guest iain
Chess player Ratmir Kholmov. No idea how famous he is in the world of chess but I am sure some of the chess fans here can put matters straight.

very minor

Chess player Ratmir Kholmov. No idea how famous he is in the world of chess but I am sure some of the chess fans here can put matters straight.

Not a very well known player, but a strong player none-the-less. He didn't gain worldwide celebrity status as players such as Botvinnik, Tal, Petrosian, Spassky, Karpov or the very charismatic Kasparov. He reached his pinnacle during the late 50s and early 60s and was ranked as high as 6th in the world by 1960

Had he been more consitant with his games, he could have made it as World Chess Champion.

Such a shame that's the 2nd chess player to have died within the space of a month

Not far behind him though is Boris Spassky who will be 70 next January, however for the past 30 years, Spassky has been living comfortably in France

Guest iain

:oDr Marc Moret has died :D

[Moved from Near Misses for 2006 thread - ff]

:oDr Marc Moret has died :D

[Moved from Near Misses for 2006 thread - ff]

good work ff. Now, all we need to do is move all of the posts on "Near Misses" to the no one's ever heard of them so who cares Not Exactly Famous thread then we'd be all set

very minor

Coming from you Ibex that means absolutely nothing.

I deliberated for a while where to put this one but Pierre Clostermann, one of THE great World War 2 pilots, who later became an author amongst others has died. Much more well known in France, however, which is why I decided to put him in this thread.

At the moment, I'm trying to find a French obit, but proof he has died comes from this post. (if it doesn't work, then it could be down to subscription). Frank, who posted it, is really up on these things.

Such a shame that's the 2nd chess player to have died within the space of a month

Not far behind him though is Boris Spassky who will be 70 next January, however for the past 30 years, Spassky has been living comfortably in France

I've got Smyslov and Bronstein on my DDP team, but Spassky seems another good candidate Dead Grandmaster.

regards,

Hein

Smyslov is an excellent choice, He'll be 85 on Friday

Based on recent comments in the "Near Misses" thread, I now feel vindicated in having created this one! Either Iain is using the wrong criteria for "famousness" or he is a highly intelligent and well-read being to whom all these persons, non-entities to us lesser mortals, are well known!

Based on recent comments in the "Near Misses" thread, I now feel vindicated in having created this one! Either Iain is using the wrong criteria for "famousness" or he is a highly intelligent and well-read being to whom all these persons, non-entities to us lesser mortals, are well known!

this is an excellent thread, and postings like the guy who got stabbed in the back by his new wife eaten by a crocodile are a good example why

this is an excellent thread, and postings like the guy who got stabbed in the back by his new wife eaten by a crocodile are a good example why

That's basically the thin line between "world famous" and "world renowned"

Someone might not necessarily be constantly in the news or the public limelight, but in their own circles they could be classed as famous.

A shame tortoises can't speak as the stories it could've told might've been fascinating.

Fascinating, but slow.

regards,

Hein

I've read about that bloke before. Perhaps I need a life.

regards,

Hein

Jean Desclaux French International Rugby Union coach from 1973 - 1980

Don't think he quite qualifies as a "Near Miss", but maybe Iain will beg to differ...

This one interested me:

Clive of India's pet dies

A shame tortoises can't speak as the stories it could've told might've been fascinating.

I also read that artical. It's shocking that we have some sort of life here on earth for 250 years.

Only if science could discover a way to make human life last that long.

For all we know someday 50 shall look 25.

What happened to the original "Not exactly famous" thread? Hopefully the Topic Description makes it clear to everyone the types of postings to be included here. Note this means that they should not be posted in "Near Misses for 2006" or "Ideas and Possibilities for 2007".

The DL community's collective IQ is now being tested. I'll predict we score somewhere between gibbon and marsupial.

Squadron Leader Eric Foster a WWII prisoner of war who escaped no less than 7 times, has died aged 102.

He claimed that parts of his story were the inspiration for Steve McQueen's character in "The Great Escape"

A WWII prisoner of war who escaped no less than 7 times, has died aged 102.

My first thought is, "seven times?! That's quite impressive."

But when you think about it, he must have been useless at escaping because he would've been, presumably, captured at least 6 times??

ladmo passed away a couple of years ago. most people at his funeral wore t-shirts with a big tie on the front.

wallace is not at all well.

booffoo the clown is still depressed.

for those of you who didn't grow up in arizona, "wallace and ladmo" was the kid show. it was on for almost 40 years and was an arizona institution, as well as the longest running childrens show on television.

for those of you who didn't grow up in arizona,

In other words 99.9% of the world's population. :huh:

"wallace and ladmo" was the kid show. it was on for almost 40 years and was an arizona institution, as well as the longest running childrens show on television.

I think that is Blue Peter, which has run since 1958.

well, here in the states, it was.

wallace and ladmo

alice cooper made his tv debut on wallace and ladmo. and a kid named steven speilberg had one of his short films shown on the show when he was in high school.

:huh::D

Guest Shuffler

Senior Assistant Commissioner Winston Changara

President Robert Mugabe's personal bodyguard.

"reinstated to his post two months ago after he had been suspended from his position sometime last year for allegedly indecently assaulting Mugabe's wife, Grace, died in Harare yesterday after a short illness"

... hmmm! I'll let you draw your own conclusions!

Neil Williams

Former Middlesex cricketer who played 1 test for England in 1990 dies of pneumonia at 43.

The link currently says no more than "Williams Dies at 43" but I'm sure those good folks at Yahoo will update it soon! Confirmed on Ceefax