VSBfromH

Not Exactly Famous...

Can't find an obit online but I'm aware that Wilf Rawlinson, a head teacher and famous as a man who worked like hell to push comprehensive education through a part of the south of England that thought it the work of the devil, has died, aged 89. The broadsheets may have covered it and/or be about to.

John Dougan

Former All Black who played 12 matches has died aged 59.

His only ever test try was the first 4-point try ever scored

Mark Richard 44, but still a victim of The Falklands War 24 years on. Smoke inhalation finally caught up with him.

Cancer-riddled Patricia Balsom, who claimed poor treatment at the hands of the National Health Service, has died.

she was ... told she could only have one pillow and at one point was taken home in the back of a delivery van without a carer because no ambulance was available.
Sh*t happens.

Cricketer Geoff Griffin has died aged 67. Took a Test match hat-trick but had his career ended by being no-balled for chucking.

Cricketer Geoff Griffin has died aged 67. Took a Test match hat-trick but had his career ended by being no-balled for chucking.

Tony Pithey

Not a good time for former South African cricketers

Tony Pithey

Not a good time for former South African cricketers

Yeah. Still fell to me to edit the relevant Wikipedia pages on both of them, though. <_<

Well the men themselves were indisposed, you could hardly expect them to do it Lawro!

Well the men themselves were indisposed, you could hardly expect them to do it Lawro!

I'd've thought they'd've been some South African cricket fan who'd've done it before me. After all, I'm really the person who looks after the Wikipedia articles on the Habsburg and the Spanish Bourbon royal houses - I have enough to do already <_< The burden of self-expectation - three hours it took me to do that family tree of Charles II of Spain for Wikipedia on Monday...

carlos_segundo80-40.gif

Three hours to do that - you need your head looking at Lauro! If anyone were really interested then a real life text book would surely be ideal. In my view there is like a 10% chance of getting something wrong in all that detail that may invalidate all that work.

Three hours to do that - you need your head looking at Lauro!

You heard it here first, M. <_<

If anyone were really interested then a real life text book would surely be ideal. In my view there is like a 10% chance of getting something wrong in all that detail that may invalidate all that work.

Nonetheless, the general point that Ol' Charlie was a bit of an inbred bugger comes across quite nicely.

Three hours to do that - you need your head looking at Lauro!

It was trickier than it looks. Mainly because of Paint Shop Pro's vector graphics mode (for the lines), plus shifiting it all about to get it in as small a space as possible. Basically, the problem is that if you go back 6 generations into the ancestry of a typical person, they have 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, 16 great-great-grandparents and 32 great-great-great-grandparents. With royals, it's not that simple. And Charles II's tree especially needs a lot of planning. Taking his great-great-great grandmother, Joanna (The Mad) of Castile, he's descended from her in 14 different lines...

And anyway, since I've been in therapy for 4.5 years, my head has already been looked at a lot. I may be insane - but not half as insane at some of those on the tree <_<

Nonetheless, the general point that Ol' Charlie was a bit of an inbred bugger comes across quite nicely.

Well, you only need to see some of the distinctly scary portraits of him to know that...

Taking his great-great-great grandmother, Joanna (The Mad) of Castile, he's descended from her in 14 different lines...
sh*t the bed! The poor bugger had no chance! Fascinating link though Lawro.
The nature of his upbringing, the inadequacy of his education, the stiff etiquette of his court, his dependence upon his mother and his superstition helped to create a mentally retarded and hypersensitive monarch.

As opposed to the UK monarchy, obviously

His brief life consisted chiefly of a passage from prolonged infancy to premature senility.

Hi Banshees.

The nature of his upbringing, the inadequacy of his education, the stiff etiquette of his court, his dependence upon his mother and his superstition helped to create a mentally retarded and hypersensitive monarch.

As opposed to the UK monarchy, obviously

Thankfully, Liz and Phil are only 3rd cousins (as great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria) and 2nd cousins-once-removed (via Christian IX of Denmark - Liz a great-great-grandaughter, Phil a great-grandson). Still, it just goes to prove that you don't need 150 years of inbreeding to produce a funny-looking and somewhat dim heir to the throne.

Incidentally, the British royals are also direct descendants of Joanna the Mad.

Roger Bolton leader of Broadcasting Workers' Union has died at the age of 59

Wasn't he a TV presenter as well?

hmmm quite possibly, I knew the name sounded familiar when I saw it on the bbc site. But had a mental block and couldn't remember where I'd heard of him before

hmmm quite possibly, I knew the name sounded familiar when I saw it on the bbc site. But had a mental block and couldn't remember where I'd heard of him before

I'm sure he used to present Right to Reply, after Gus MacDonald...

Different Roger Bolton I think.

This one was born in 1945 (making him 61)

The Late Roger Bolton was 59.

So that's that.

I'm sure he used to present Right to Reply, after Gus MacDonald...

Indeed the older Bolton goes on; also presented Home Truths a few times after the demise of the sainted John Peel. No DL interest expected from him for a few years.