VSBfromH

Not Exactly Famous...

The actor Anthony Jackson, best known to 30-somethings as Fred Mumford from Rentaghost, has died of cancer :)

rentaghost.jpg

My memory is hazy;-

Which one's Jackson and who is dead?

According to IMDB, Michael Staniforth, Michael Darbyshire, Molly Weir, Anthony Jackson, Edward Brayshaw, Kenneth Connor, Betty Alberge, Elisabeth Day are all dead. :ghost3:

So, of that picture, am I right in thinking from left to right, :rip: , :rip: alive, alive (Dobbin), :rip: (witch), :rip: alive (Popov), alive?, :rip: ???

Well he's not in that picture. I thought he died years ago....

rentaghost.jpg

My memory is hazy;-

Which one's Jackson and who is dead?

He's not in that picture.

Fred Mumford was one of the original Rentaghost characters. When the actor who played Hubert Davenport died Jackson decided he wanted out too, leaving only Michael Stainforth as an original member of the three. It was never as good after that, though I always loved the McWitch and Miss Popov.

rent.jpg

Anthony Jackson is the one on the right.

I remember watching the first episode (Jeez, I AM getting old). It went downhill after a few years.

I remember watching the first episode (Jeez, I AM getting old). It went downhill after a few years.

So do I, I think.

Was that the one where he went somewhere to recruit some ghosts and there was a WW1 soldier asleep on a bench?

When the stupid pantomime horse took centre stage. I always loved Miss Popov though - she was ace.

The actor Anthony Jackson, best known to 30-somethings as Fred Mumford from Rentaghost, has died of cancer :party:

That makes all three original leads now dead :)

*insert joke about ghosts here*

How odd. I was only thinking about Rentaghost the other day and wondering what happened to Anthony Jackson. Would never have considered him for DDP though.

Guest Guest

The actor Anthony Jackson, best known to 30-somethings as Fred Mumford from Rentaghost, has died of cancer :party:

That makes all three original leads now dead :)

*insert joke about ghosts here*

and the 2nd lead actor from Bless this House to die during the month of november following the death of Diana Coupland-thats Jean Abbot and Trevor Roper both dead :party: (Patsy Rowlands who played Anthomy Jacksons characters wife in the show also died last year)

How odd. I was only thinking about Rentaghost the other day and wondering what happened to Anthony Jackson. Would never have considered him for DDP though.

and the 2nd lead actor from Bless this House to die during the month of november following the death of Diana Coupland-thats Jean Abbot and Trevor Roper both dead sad.gif (Patsy Rowlands who played Anthomy Jacksons characters wife in the show also died last year)

Guest Guest

that should be Trevor Lewis of course,not Roper.Where the hell did I get the name Roper from? :)

Former PA governor Raymond Shafer, 89.

I only bring him up because if the UK will give him an obit, then it's open season on any governor or cabinet member. Makes me wish I had been paying attention when Alexander Trowbridge died to see if he got one too...

Guest Guest

actress Mavis Pugh -best known perhaps for her role as Lady Lavender in the sitcom You Rang M'Lord-and the woman whos request for her dog to be fed sausages infuriated Basil Fawlty in one episode of Fawlty Towers

actress Mavis Pugh -best known perhaps for her role as Lady Lavender in the sitcom You Rang M'Lord-and the woman whos request for her dog to be fed sausages infuriated Basil Fawlty in one episode of Fawlty Towers

Infuriated Polly actually - ''Bangers a la Bang''... :lol:

Peter Boyle who plays the father on "Everybody Loves Raymond" has just died.

well done Phantom, beat me to it. Peter Boyle is the type of person who needs a different thread title, as I'd argue he's pretty famous (Everyone Loves Raymond is syndicated in the US, UK and I'd guess probably another 20 countries at least), but he wouldn't be a "Near Miss" either, because, even though he looks to have been about 95, he was only 71. Must have been that hard-living Hollywood lifestyle.

well done Phantom, beat me to it. Peter Boyle is the type of person who needs a different thread title, as I'd argue he's pretty famous (Everyone Loves Raymond is syndicated in the US, UK and I'd guess probably another 20 countries at least), but he wouldn't be a "Near Miss" either, because, even though he looks to have been about 95, he was only 71. Must have been that hard-living Hollywood lifestyle.

He can be moved to a thread of his own, I just can't abide that TV series though :banghead:

He can be moved to a thread of his own, I just can't abide that TV series though :banghead:

nah, ain't worth a new thread. I've never watched more than about 5 mins of the show, as I for one most certainly do not love Raymond.

Big mate of John Lennon apparently. I loved him as the monster in 'Young Frankenstein' though...

nah, ain't worth a new thread. I've never watched more than about 5 mins of the show, as I for one most certainly do not love Raymond.

Oh I hate that show. It's about as funny as monkey sick on your shirt.

Sorry to see him go though, he was the only talented one, and in a host of other shows too.

Ellis Rubin has died of cancer. Unorthodox Miami lawyer says Wikipedia. When trawling through potentials for 2007, the news, last week, that this fellow had terminal cancer & was near the end, put him in one of the free spots on my DDP.

A risk though. Surely even the Guardian would not mention a lawyer, famous only really in Florida, and who didn't really have many high profile international cases.

No. I forgot. The Guardian has no standards for fame upon death. Full Obit

Drat.

They'll have anyone in their obits...

...good for us... :banghead:

One of those unknown people responsible for well-known computer products, Alan Shugart died on the 12th December. Apparently, he was responsible for the development of the floppy disk, which superseded the clay tablet as a storage medium in ancient times.

I'm sure most people remember their first experience of the wonders of digital storage. I remember the headmaster of my primary school demonstrating a 5.25 inch floppy to us in 1984. But these were the days before paedohysteria, so he wasn't arrested for it.

One of those unknown people responsible for well-known computer products, Alan Shugart died on the 12th December. Apparently, he was responsible for the development of the floppy disk, which superseded the clay tablet as a storage medium in ancient times.

I'm sure most people remember their first experience of the wonders of digital storage. I remember the headmaster of my primary school demonstrating a 5.25 inch floppy to us in 1984. But these were the days before paedohysteria, so he wasn't arrested for it.

I call your 5.25 inch floppy and raise you an 8 inch one as the first one I used. The medium I first used for digital storage was a cassette tape, of course.

BTW, according to my sources Mr Shugart didn't invent the floppy disk, but one of his workers, David Noble, did. See Wikipedia on floppy disks, if you're inclined to believe that source.

Anyway, an important computer man has died. :dead3:

regards,

Hein