The Four Horsemen

Benn There, Done It?

My mum & dad met him 30 odd years ago.

A great man. RIP...

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Just seen Denis Healey being interviewed on Newsnight talking about Tony Benn. He appeared very tired and frail, too frail to make it to the tv studio so had to be interviewed at home.He was bluntly honest about his opinion of Benn .The kind of honesty only a very old person can get away with.

The oldest living cabinet minister in history was Manny Shinwell who died at 101. It wil be interesting to see if Lord Healey can break that record. On tonights evidence I wouldn't put too much money on it though

Just seen Denis Healey being interviewed on Newsnight talking about Tony Benn. He appeared very tired and frail, too frail to make it to the tv studio so had to be interviewed at home.He was bluntly honest about his opinion of Benn .The kind of honesty only a very old person can get away with.

The oldest living cabinet minister in history was Manny Shinwell who died at 101. It wil be interesting to see if Lord Healey can break that record. On tonights evidence I wouldn't put too much money on it though

He's probably as frail as any 96 year old would be

Guest Corey

When my gampy was 96 he was still running half a mile a day and drinking scotch and whiskey

I too thought he looked very frail. Shocking around his eyes, growth at the back of his scalp, acidic sharpness just ebbing. Guessing he won't make Christmas.

Note to a mod, this and the three above need moving to the Denis Healey thread.

Joe Hains was also pretty honest about his opinion of Tony Benn on BBC News yesterday lunch-time by calling him a "constant problem", I think it's more a case that old-school politicos are less privy to falling into the "I disagreed with his opinion but he was a remarkable man" bollocks and more tell it like it is types.

Isn't it odd how Tony Benn always seemed a fairly sanguine, chilled out kind of guy, and now he is dead at 88, but Ian Paisley, who is almost as old as Benn, has spent his whole life angrily bellowing the only two words he knows, "betrayal" and "surrender", and he is still alive?

Life is weird like that sometimes.

Can't imagine he'd be too far behind though. Well, a couple of years at the most...

Of course. Hence why he's part of my DDP tri-fecta of Ians. But just the fact that he would roughly equal Benn's lifespan was strange enough that I felt the need to point out.

Isn't it odd how Tony Benn always seemed a fairly sanguine, chilled out kind of guy, and now he is dead at 88, but Ian Paisley, who is almost as old as Benn, has spent his whole life angrily bellowing the only two words he knows, "betrayal" and "surrender", and he is still alive?

What about "No"!

What about "No"!

''Never '' too.

Amongst all the hullabaloo, what's slipped under the radar is that Benn's eldest son Stephen becomes the 3rd Viscount Stansgate...

Just saw him today in a documentary about the last voyage of the QE2.

Guest Guest

Tony Benn is only the 2nd politician ever to lie in state in parliament. The only other one to get this honour was..Maggie Thatcher. Tony must be having a chuckle about that in heaven http://www.theguardi...s-chapel-honour

Guest Guest

Tony Benn is only the 2nd politician ever to lie in state in parliament. The only other one to get this honour was..Maggie Thatcher. Tony must be having a chuckle about that in heaven http://www.theguardi...s-chapel-honour

At first I read that as "Only the 2nd politician ever to lie in parliament"... and I was rather baffled for a second.

• Like 1

During the tribute debate in parliament Sir Peter Tapsell reminded all the Deathlisters that he is the only remaining MP to have voted on the 1963 bill allowing Tony Benn to renounce his peerage.

Guest Guest

During the tribute debate in parliament Sir Peter Tapsell reminded all the Deathlisters that he is the only remaining MP to have voted on the 1963 bill allowing Tony Benn to renounce his peerage.

and Peter Tapsell's not going to be around much longer it's just been announced .. http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-26683935