Guest KateS

Margaret Thatcher

Surely if it's a dictatorship you don't get to vote for who you want to be dictator?

Often the one you were told to vote for becomes a dictator.

More likely though would be the rise of a number of smaller parties which in a coalition would hold the balance of power, thus possibly tempering the dogmatic idiocies of one of the larger parties which tend to put ideology before people. Or perhaps in the other direction, although here in Germany, it is not yet done to enter a coalition with extremists.

PR rarely results in a majority parliament, although it's possible, as Malta shows. In the Netherlands Pim Fortuyn's perfect election propaganda landed him 26 (of 150) seats in the Second Chamber of the States-General and caused quite a stir. A government with his party (LPF) as a coalition partner was formed.

Those seats in parliament were taken by a bunch of political fortune seekers and both the 'party' and its fraction in parliament disintegrated in weeks, the government in months. New elections were called, and LPF was reduced to 8 seats. If elections were held now, LPF would get a single seat. It's obviously heading for extinction and several parties, old and new, are trying to mop up its electorate.

The worst thing is a government which gets a huge majority and then believes it has carte blanche to do any number of awful things which nobody wants. Far worse than a hung parliament.

Exactly, although that can happen with a hung parliament as well, as Hitler's appointment to chancellor (and the consequent Reichstag's suicide) in 1933 shows.

Sometimes it is necessary to vote differently remove a government which is  incompetent (like the Labour one until 1979) or wicked (like the one which followed it and the present one).

A .sig I use for Usenet postings goes: "Governments, like diapers, must be changed often, and for the same reason."

There are some more observations:

• Once elected, MP's suffer immediate and unrecoverable memory loss.

• People who want political power aren't fit for the job.

• Politicians don't look further ahead than the next election.

I wonder how many of us have ever looked beyond our political prejudices and seriously considered changing our voting habits?

Good question. I've voted, if at all, for four different parties, all of them at the left side of the political spectrum. At the moment I'd be hard pressed to make choice. All Dutch political parties seem to be in a state of panic. They're are willing to sacrifice personal and political liberties for a sense of security from terrorism and political violence, possibly the most dangerous road to take. As Benjamin Franklin wrote: "Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security".

A benign dictatorship would be nice, and works well here on the Deathlist, but I would hesitate before supporting Mr. Josco for the head of one. My vote goes to myself, or possibly to Hein, though I believe he may be a foreigner of some sort.

I feel flattered by this suggestion, but I'm not volunteering for the job. I'm far from convinced that we need states and national governments at all.

I apologise for the long :blink:.

regards,

Hein

All Dutch political parties seem to be in a state of panic. They're are willing to sacrifice personal and political liberties for a sense of security from terrorism and political violence, possibly the most dangerous road to take. As Benjamin Franklin wrote: "Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security".

It does seem that we in the liberal west have a major problem with not having any enemy to be scared of.

The current pre-occupation with terrorist threat demonstrates the absence of real debate in all other realms of politics. Liberal free market economics has complete dominance so how you exploit welath cannot be discussed. Public services are wanted but can't be paid for as taxation is evil, so we dress it up as 'choice' which means nothing.

In this period of management consultant politics the lowest common denominator is used to gain interest - and that's fear!

And the best thing about terrorism is that you can always claim that you're just preventing attack after attack. The absence of an attack is used as a justification of increased risk rather than safety - we've got away with it, this time, so it's more likely to happen next time....

It's the opposite of the Nick Ross' closing line on Crimewatch...

Please do have nightmares...

Although on the other hand, the death of the Morris Marina was probably a good thing on the whole.

You obviously suffered from some kind of head injury as a child. The 1.3L Coupe was my first car, and therefore, was the best car on the road at the time.

Although on the other hand, the death of the Morris Marina was probably a good thing on the whole.

You obviously suffered from some kind of head injury as a child. The 1.3L Coupe was my first car, and therefore, was the best car on the road at the time.

And there I was, thinking you were a reasonable intelligent chap judging by your previous post.

And there I was, thinking you were a reasonable intelligent chap judging by your previous post.

Sorry! Slip of the tongue so to speak. I have corrected my post accordingly.

Maggie Speaks - sort of

After telling the Tories 'to get on with it'. would it be worth our while passing the same message back to her? Course, we would need to follow the timetable, with an early 2006 election.

PS - Josco - I understand that Pope Benedict is just waiting for her death before he can start the canonisation process. Hope you have kept all the letters she sent you....

PS - Josco - I understand that Pope Benedict is just waiting for her death before he can start the canonisation process. Hope you have kept all the letters she sent you....

The only notable souvenir I have from the Thatcher era is a bottle of House Of Commons whisky signed by the great lady. This was bought at a fund raising auction many years ago for a large unseemly sum whilst I was a little refreshed.

I have many items bought at 'charidee' auctions under the influence when I was young and foolish. These days, although still foolish, I have neither the liver nor the livre.

My late grandmother had a signed commendation with a photo from Margaret Thatcher in honour of a lifetime's voluntary service to Hartlepool Conservative Association.

She kept it face-down at the bottom of a cardboard box in the (locked) cellar with a bio-hazard sign on the door.

What happened to it after her death, I do not know. Perhaps my father still has it, but probably not.

As for me, for all that envelope-stuffing I did in 1979, I didn't get so much as a stale packet of Spangles from Mrs. T.

Hence perhaps, my current aversion to the old ruca.

There's an interesting bit in that article:

Baroness Thatcher is under doctors' orders not to speak publicly.

Those good doctors should have more politicians as clients.

regards,

Hein

QUOTE (Teddy @ Jun 15 2005, 02:26 AM)

Maggie Speaks - sort of

There's an interesting bit in that article:

QUOTE (web site)

Baroness Thatcher is under doctors' orders not to speak publicly.

regards,

Hein

I am having to take a rest after reading that :unsure: ; you know how i vote Hein. I come across rather faint ;) and ill.

regards,

Hein

Dr Shipman in particular. ;)

Guest Guest_mike

Judging by the state of Maggie Thatcher at Ted Heaths funeral yesterday i dont think it will be too long before she follows him wherever he is.Shes not a well woman is she!

Maybe she could just hang on till 2006 then we can have her on the list.

Thought she looked very healthy at the funeral. staedy on her feet, supressing the grin she was entitled to , and even stopping for a chat with the vicar. I don't think she will be going any time soon. Parents died young but the only risk factors in her life are very occasional smoking and the odd "whiskey indulgence"

williambriggs32 Posted on Jul 26 2005, 07:56 AM

ignore 

williambriggs32 Posted on Jul 26 2005, 07:51 AM

sorry 

williambriggs32 Posted on Jul 26 2005, 07:44 AM

ignore 

That's 3 posts in 12 minutes adding nothing but to your tally of posts.

Come on William I know you are new round here but speaking personally I would like to read postings that have genuine substance or humour and some modicum of information not just babble. You have posted about 30 times in just a couple of days and I think that too many of them have been too ineffective.

On the subject of Mrs T, I think she may hang on for a few more years. But having suffered two minor strokes another larger one is always on the cards from now on - especially under the type of stress she was under yesterday making a public appearance.

I know what you mean Ali.

You'd never catch me doing that to add to my post tally. :angry:

nor me

Guest IYG

Shouldn't this thread go to the already existing Thatcher thread?

[Done - Teddy]

Shouldn't this thread go to the already existing Thatcher thread?

Yes Inar, it should. [Yes, notapotato - I agree :angry: - Teddy]

Dear me Hein, the web is getting terribly self-important these days isn't it?

How much does it cost for a pint of bandwidth nowadays anyway?

He's dead right about AOL though.

Perhaps a good way of stopping people from posting too much irrelevant stuff would be to call them mildly insulting names.

nor me

Ooh, a negative Me Too!

regards,

Hein

yes, but an ironic one. Much like this one.......

Guest IYG
Perhaps a good way of stopping people from posting too much irrelevant stuff would be to call them mildly insulting names.

Or taking them outside and shooting them.

That would help - I've been called:

Admirer of kings casts a homo.

as well as:

Rat of masochism adores king.

Just for being a monarchist and I'm still here :ph34r: .

Perhaps shooting me would be the better option :angry: