Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

General Pinochet

If Pinochet's eldest son is to be believed, Mrs. P could go first.

"They are going to kill her... because she's had a heart problem for years, suffers from many illnesses, and she's over 80-years-old," he told local media.

Guest iain

Might this be the sort of event that finally kills the old b****d off?lETS hope so!

The old bastard helped us during the Falklands Conflict.

At least the Falkland islanders are grateful to him.

I'd be greatful if he stopped breathing.

No news on his health recently (after his most recent stroke), but I'm keeping an eye out.

No news on his health recently (after his most recent stroke), but I'm keeping an eye out.

:) How will that affect his health.

It must bloody hurt you though. :lol:

The General's time is running out.

The outcome of his appeal will be known next week.

;) How will that affect his health.

It must bloody hurt you though. :D

It only hurts a bit...kinda tough to drive though.

The General's time is running out.

The outcome of his appeal will be known next week.

Ah yes, sending 89 year old dictators to jail. It's just my kind of humor.

I don't think old Augusto will be faking any sort of sickness like fellow

Ronnie Biggs.

I met the General in 1986, I was attending an official party at the British Embassy in Santiago.

The General was most charming and courteous. I am afraid I do not have a bad word to say about him.

He is a very charismatic and entertaining man, but of course he also carried out some unpleasantness during his leadership. But this was par for the course in South America at the time.

I met the General in 1986, I was attending an official party at the British Embassy in Santiago.

The General was most charming and courteous. I am afraid I do not have a bad word to say about him.

He is a very charismatic and entertaining man, but of course he also carried out some unpleasantness during his leadership. But this was par for the course in South America at the time.

"some unpleasantness" (if that's even a proper word) is a slight understatement, don't you think?

"some unpleasantness" (if that's even a proper word) is a slight understatement, don't you think?

Not really, The Disappeared of Chile number less than 1,200.

Not a great deal really. After all one can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

Of course many more suffered some form of torture, but again this was practically the norm in South America at the time.

I was just wondering Wastrel, as you've been to one, do they really serve Ferrero Rochers at Embassies?

I was just wondering Wastrel, as you've been to one, do they really serve Ferrero Rochers at Embassies?

Sadly no, the only chocolate I encountered was an after dinner Bendicks chocolate mint.

Sadly no, the only chocolate I encountered was an after dinner Bendicks chocolate mint.

Damn, another illusion shattered. ;)

"But critics have accused the 89-year-old, who suffers from diabetes, heart problems and mild dementia linked to minor strokes, of exaggerating his health problems to avoid standing trial."

Whats there left to exaggerate? ;)

"But critics have accused the 89-year-old, who suffers from diabetes, heart problems and mild dementia linked to minor strokes, of exaggerating his health problems to avoid standing trial."

Whats there left to exaggerate? ;)

And I can't think of anybody else who may exaggerate symptons in order to gain some sympathy, and perhaps evade justice :D

Whats there left to exaggerate? :lol:

And I can't think of anybody else who may exaggerate symptons in order to gain some sympathy, and perhaps evade justice ;)

Perhaps he's being represented by the same legal team as Ernest Saunders - the only man to be released from prison due to Alzheimers and recover - obviously Guinness is good for you!

It seems increasingly unlikely that General Pinochet will face justice in a courtroom, only in his death will this occur. I hope it is soon.

If his future is behind bars i would say if he's still living by

2006 his rank should be brought way up in the selections. :angry:

Guest Klingelbeutel

Pinochet is blamed for things he took the credits for in the 1970s, but in actuality he may not be responsible for many of those attrocities. Pinochet was not a dictator in the classical sense of the term. Classical dictators from Caligula to Hitler have had two traits, they some how see themselves as embodiments of an ethnic group or state and they carry out nationalistic reforms designed by them on behalf of some national interest group. Pinochet had no such traits, from the onset Pinochet was an agent of the USA, a pawn in the Cold War against the Soviet Union. Pinochet economic policies were completely designed by the Chicago boys, namely Milton Friedmann and were desinged specifically to tranform Chile into a basket case of the IMF and the multinational firms that pinochet reparated after the coup. If Pinochet had stood trial in an International Criminal Court under ideal international conditions, he may have emerged as an assasin-political-prostitute of Nixon, Kissinger, Reagen and George Schultz - and ofcourse the Chicago Boys.

Pinochet is blamed for things he took the credits for in the 1970s, but in actuality he may not be responsible for many of those attrocities. Pinochet was not a dictator in the classical sense of the term. Classical dictators from Caligula to Hitler have had two traits, they some how see themselves as embodiments of an ethnic group or state and they carry out nationalistic reforms designed by them on behalf of some national interest group. Pinochet had no such traits, from the onset Pinochet was an agent of the USA, a pawn in the Cold War against the Soviet Union. Pinochet economic policies were completely designed by the Chicago boys, namely Milton Friedmann and were desinged specifically to tranform Chile into a basket case of the IMF and the multinational firms that pinochet reparated after the coup. If Pinochet had stood trial in an International Criminal Court under ideal international conditions, he may have emerged as an assasin-political-prostitute of Nixon, Kissinger, Reagen and George Schultz - and ofcourse the Chicago Boys.

What you have said regarding Pinochet being a prostitute of the USA may be true, but it still does not exonerate him from responsibility for the atrocities that occurred under his rule, while he was President of Chile.