Crap! So far as 2006 is concerned she's no more accurate than Iain, in fact, maybe they're the same person.

Crap! So far as 2006 is concerned she's no more accurate than Iain, in fact, maybe they're the same person.

I think 2006 has been a bit crap for deaths, really. I mean, not only is the DL chugging along at a mere 7 deaths to date, but I can't even think of many particularly high profile deaths that have occurred over the past few months generally.

Why oh why won't people die? :party:

There's a Harry Price library at the top of Senate House at the University of London, as he left the massive collection of books he'd acquired to the university when he died. Because it's a really great resource of occult literature it attracts a lot of freaks and Senate House Library tries to keep it hush hush. Apparently if you call to make inquiries about it you'll frequently get an answer along the lines of "Harry Price? Don't know what you're talking about..."

Anyhow, I used to use the Senate House library and was doing some stuff on magic and 17th/18th century philosophy, and as a result wanted to get access to some of the books in the Harry Price collection. It was a real rigmarole and I had to be interviewed to demonstrate that I wasn't mad etc [haw, haw, yes I did pass].

Hey ho. Below is some stuff on Ms Browne's 2004 predictions from The Skeptical Inquirer:

Blundered Predictions in 2004: A Sylvia Browne Review

Farha, Bryan

1 March 2005

Sylvia Browne is one of the best-known alleged psychics in the world and has been popularized mostly by television talk-show hosts Larry King and Montel Williams. She has repeatedly avoided taking the Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge-offered by the James Randi Educational Foundation-even though she agreed to do so three times on live television.

This is a review of her predictions for 2004, made on The Montel Williams Show, which aired December 31, 2003. Not surprisingly, many of the predictions were vague and difficult to measure. For example, she predicted that California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger will "come to the forefront" (whatever that means). Others were obvious, such as her prediction that the cruise industry would see a boom in business. Because of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, an expected decline in cruises was seen due to ships becoming likely terrorist targets-in other words, there was nowhere for the industry to go but up. Below is a partial list of Browne's blunders from the December 2003 Montel:

* American troops will be pulled out of Iraq by June or July.

* Osama bin Laden is "dead as a doornail. " [my own note: of course he's "dead as a doornail" -- still, it's not actually a prediction...]

* Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake will not marry. She is actually correct on this one, but by the time the show aired, ABCnews.com had already reported that they were broken up.

* Julia Roberts's marriage would end. Not only is Roberts still married to cinematographer Danny Moder-whom she wed in July 2002-but she gave birth to twins on November 28, 2004. Moder is the father.

* Britney Spears doesn't find anyone. Spears got married to childhood friend Jason Alien Alexander in Las Vegas on January 3,2004-just three days after the prediction aired. The marriage was annulled the next day, but I'm not inclined to negate the prediction because of this.

* Martha Stewart will not go to jail. Stewart reported to a federal prison in West Virginia on October 8, 2004.

* North Korea will launch nuclear weapons in 2004. Not as far as we know.

* The Pope will die. As 2005 began, Pope John Paul II was alive. But at the Pope's age, I don't think Browne went out on a limb for this one-he was born on May 18, 1920.

Browne has a master's degree in English literature. Perhaps she should consider utilizing this degree rather than to purport to have psychic ability. Do you think any talk shows will air her 2004 blunders?

Just spent a while digging around for old predictions. I stopped fairly quickly because I was in too much danger of wetting my trousers, they were so bloody ridiculous.

Here are some of Ms Browne's and another person's 1999 predictions. I'm not liable for laundry costs.

"Adolf Hitler did not die in his underground bunker. Instead, he worked as an accountant in Austria and passed away at the age of 91."

Oops...

Hey, Bill, keep an eye on Hillary and Al Psychics issue predictions for 1999

1 January 1999

Charleston Daily Mail

Where is the human race headed? Will 1999 be the last year of relative peace before doomsday? And in the meantime, will you finally shed those extra 10 pounds of flab this year?

Of course, nobody really knows the answers to these and other pressing questions. Or do they?

Psychics Kenny Kingston and Sylvia Browne believe they can see a thing or two about the future. Kingston gained widespread popularity with his long-running infomercials on late-night television. He describes himself as a "well-rounded psychic'' who is well-versed in past lives, soul mates, communicating with spirits, channeling and reading auras.

Browne has received nationwide exposure for her psychic abilities as a frequent guest on "The Montel Williams Show.'' She frequently lectures about life after death, reincarnation, UFOs, ghosts and the purpose of life.

Here are some of their insights into the new year.

Kenny Kingston's predictions for 1999:

1. This is the year to buy property. You should pay cash if possible.

2. Cell-phone use in cars will be restricted. There's a good chance fines will be imposed on drivers who use cell phones for non-emergencies.

3. Doctors will warn Americans against drinking too much water. Excessive water consumption has afflicted some Americans with chronic fatigue.

4. President Clinton will entertain thoughts of suicide, and he should be kept under constant watch.

5. Clinton will become temporarily incapacitated while in office, causing Al Gore to assume the presidency for a short time.

6. Gore and Hillary Clinton will form a "close alliance'' that will not be in the best interest of the president.

7. In spite of the presidential scandal, Clinton will probably only be censured and not ousted from office.

8. Although this may not happen in 1999, the Clintons will eventually separate. Hillary will then seek election as a U.S. senator but will lose.

9. Madonna will realize that her new daughter is actually the reincarnation of Eva Peron.

10. Donald and Ivana Trump will reunite.

A few bonus observations from Kingston:

- Adolf Hitler did not die in his underground bunker. Instead, he worked as an accountant in Austria and passed away at the age of 91.

- "On the other side,'' Sonny Bono is very upset that his wife has taken his congressional seat.

- Do not speak the word "earthquake.'' It gives the event more energy, making it more likely to occur.

Sylvia Browne's predictions for 1999:

1. The stock market will take a big dip in November.

2. Clinton's impeachment issue goes away.

3. Ken Starr will be investigated for extravagant spending.

4. Monica Lewinsky will try - and fail at - modeling.

5. There will be terrorist attacks in Florida and London.

6. Two embassies will be attacked in Egypt and South Africa in July.

7. California will suffer a drought that will last until 2000.

8. The United States calls for an air attack on Iran in July.

9. The further breakdown of the ozone layer will lead to increased problems with memory loss, hair loss, eyesight problems and other strange illnesses.

10. Be wary of a witch hunt that begins in March involving public officials or celebrities. Most allegations will prove false. This is due to the media seeking big ratings with sordid stories.

Bonus observations from Browne:

- Aliens will begin to show themselves in 2010. They will not harm us. They will teach us how to use anti-gravity devices, such as they did for building the pyramids.

- Atlantis will begin to show itself by 2023 and will be fully visible by 2026.

- People will be able to "walk out'' of their bodies upon death.

What did you say your Ph.D was in, Alphonsin?

What did you say your Ph.D was in, Alphonsin?

Ph.D? I'd be hard pressed to pass the 11+, MPFC

...- Do not speak the word "earthquake.'' It gives the event more energy, making it more likely to occur.

It sounds feasible to me... :party: I wonder why ' earthquake' was chosen, and not 'flood' or 'volcanic eruption'? Does the meer mentioning of their names not produce the same effect?? This needs funding and researching. I'll write a letter right away.

...- Do not speak the word "earthquake.'' It gives the event more energy, making it more likely to occur.

It sounds feasible to me... <_< I wonder why ' earthquake' was chosen, and not 'flood' or 'volcanic eruption'? Does the meer mentioning of their names not produce the same effect?? This needs funding and researching. I'll write a letter right away.

All join me in a rousing shout of "Charlatans!" If enough people speak the word it will give this fact more veracity, making gullible people less likely to be duped by these self-proclaimed (and completely falsifiable) psychics.

In 60 years of testing, not one shred of credible evidence exists to verify psychic ability. 60 years of testing valid, credible scientific theorem generally provide more results than this.

60 years after the first heavier-than-air flight for example, we'd not only proven it was repeatedly possible but were flying supersonic planes, putting people in space and travelling the world on airliners. Hardly the same kind of result one sees for the power of ESP, telekenesis, remote viewing, clairvoyance, etc.

All join me in a rousing shout of "Charlatans!"

Charlatans!

And cheats. I have a certain appreciation for people who really believe (through self-deception) that they have supernatural abilities, but the ones who make money with it know full well they're cheats.

regards,

Hein

It sounds feasible to me... <_< I wonder why ' earthquake' was chosen, and not 'flood' or 'volcanic eruption'? Does the meer mentioning of their names not produce the same effect?? This needs funding and researching. I'll write a letter right away.

All join me in a rousing shout of "Charlatans!" If enough people speak the word it will give this fact more veracity, making gullible people less likely to be duped by these self-proclaimed (and completely falsifiable) psychics.

In 60 years of testing, not one shred of credible evidence exists to verify psychic ability. 60 years of testing valid, credible scientific theorem generally provide more results than this.

60 years after the first heavier-than-air flight for example, we'd not only proven it was repeatedly possible but were flying supersonic planes, putting people in space and travelling the world on airliners. Hardly the same kind of result one sees for the power of ESP, telekenesis, remote viewing, clairvoyance, etc.

Maybe none of them are remakable enough.

Oh yes, Charlatans!

Charlatans!

And cheats. I have a certain appreciation for people who really believe (through self-deception) that they have supernatural abilities, but the ones who make money with it know full well they're cheats.

regards,

Hein

There is a TV show with a man who claims he is phycic, I hate to admit that I forget his name but i've only watched it two or three times. He connects with the dead and shares words of the spirit to the greiving loved ones. He seems very accurate and they say his readings are exceptional. If you want to believe a person who claims they are phycic, this just might be the man. But I figure he has some way of reading people, once he wins there trust it shouldn't be that hard for them to believe what he says. Although there are some things this man has talked about, this he could have never knew. I remain confused...

<snip> I hate to admit that I forget his name but i've only watched it two or three times. <snip> I remain confused...

Evidently. I suspect that if you can't even remember the person's name you're never going to be well placed to judge his claims. <_<

Charlatans!

regards,

Hein

There is a TV show with a man who claims he is phycic, I hate to admit that I forget his name but i've only watched it two or three times. He connects with the dead and shares words of the spirit to the greiving loved ones. He seems very accurate and they say his readings are exceptional. If you want to believe a person who claims they are phycic, this just might be the man. But I figure he has some way of reading people, once he wins there trust it shouldn't be that hard for them to believe what he says. Although there are some things this man has talked about, this he could have never knew. I remain confused...

pah, psychics. Complete load of crap. They should be ashamed of themselves...

Charlatans!

regards,

Hein

pah, psychics. Complete load of crap. They should be ashamed of themselves...

I knew you were going to say that. <_<

Too warm for a coat, so I'll just go now, OK?

That'll be John Edward, the Biggest Douche in the Universe.

I still don't know how the "psychic" I consulted for a laugh pulled my mother and her brother's names out of the air like she did :unsure:

"Margaret and Joe on earth"

What are the chances?

Guest Guest
I still don't know how the "psychic" I consulted for a laugh pulled my mother and her brother's names out of the air like she did :unsure:

"Margaret and Joe on earth"

What are the chances?

Depends what your tattoos say :)

The chances of a wittering "psychic" stumbling across a couple of names of close significance to you are pretty high though, surely? Of course, perhaps this isn't what happened.

I saw one a few years ago, and some of what the person said fitted, particularly afterwards. Aware that I probably filtered the rubbish from the true, I went about a year later, but this time took a Dictaphone -- the idea was that I'd try to pretty much not engage with what the person was saying at the time, so as not to give away too much information, and then listen to the recording some months later to see if it made sense. And guess what happened...?

I accidentally erased the stuff on the Dictaphone that afternoon... :blink:

Depends what your tattoos say :blink:

Odds fish but you have a droll wit, Monsieur Guest :unsure:

I have no tattoos, not wanting my pristine body to become a blank canvas to be drawn on. Heaven forbid!

I phoned one of those psychic lines when I was bored and depressed. I wouldn't give anything away and it was quite funny to listen to her floundering.

They're always so vague and rely on you to feed them info. They say things like "You've lost a grandmother figure" rather than "you've lost a grandmother" and rely on you to provide them with more.

She hung up on me in the end as I wouldn't confirm anything and kept asking silly questions.

Depends what your tattoos say :)

Odds fish but you have a droll wit, Monsieur Guest :unsure:

I have no tattoos, not wanting my pristine body to become a blank canvas to be drawn on. Heaven forbid!

C'etait moi, Boudicca, but I forgot to sign in.

The upper right arm of your avatar looks the perfect place for a tasteful anchor or bluebird... :blink:

Some of you may be aware of the Sci-Fi Network TV show "Ghost Hunters" by TAPS (The Atlantic Paranormal Society).

This popular show has aired a few "we can't explain this ghostly apparition, moving chair," etc. episodes, supported by their supposedly unbiased "scientific" approach. See www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/.

Well, the friendly folk over at SAPS (Skeptical Analysis of the Paranormal Society) have looked through the TV footage (edited and unedited) and can explain these apparently ghostly happenings as nothing more than, surprise, surprise, Ghosthunters don't appear to be playing it straight.

See the video evidence for yourself at www.skepticalanalysis.com.

Shame on you Ghosthunter Charlatans. :unsure:

Psychics, yeah? I knew someone would start a thread about this.

Am reminded of the story of when Kelvin Mackenzie fired The Sun's astrologer in the early 80s (for reusing predictions). He started his sacking letter, "As you will have no doubt have foreseen..."

Haw haw :dead:

It always struck me as funny that Patrick Walker died of food poisoning . Shouldn't he have foreseen that ?

You've got to credit Kelvin McKenzie with a sense of humour mind. He once set a challenge to his writers to write an obit for him. One wag wrote:'Here lies Kelvin McKenzie, and lies, and lies.' McKenzie supposedly roared with laughter and declared the man the winner on the spot.