maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Dead Beat the Perverse Pleasure of Obituaries.

Only in the thirties page wise, but it's good.

It also suggests that not overly ambitious Lang's rise was due to his marriage and other external influence (I don't want to spell it out but it's an anagram of ACI).

Is this a view commonly held among the real Tony Blair's detractors or has Harris just plain spun another excellent yarn?

It's not uncommon to think "spook" about various people. I thought one or two ex-colleagues might be in the pay of one or other intelligence service. Hadn't come across this proposition - a great idea in a novel - because almost impossible to prove either way. But why would the CIA have needed Blair to tell it the UK's intelligence secrets when Bush could just pick up the phone? Also MI6 and the CIA are already co-operating to a strong degree.

On the other had if the recruitment had happened early, any involvement could have been a useful soft blackmail tool to keep Blair on side. Blair had enough power and influence to take his cabinet with him on the invasion of Iraq apart from one or two dispensable colleagues like Clair Short and Robin Cook.

I hadn't thought about it much before, what really stuck me was the list of controversial and unpopular decisions made by the 'Blair' character that seemingly had no one but America's best interests at heart. The list got very long very quickly, quite surprising from a neutralish observer's point of view.

It's not long ago that people were suggesting that Harold Wilson was a KGB agent, covered at length in Steve Dorrill's book, Smear.

Genius, genius I tell you!

An oxymoron if ever I've seen one.

Mary,

Never in my life have I ever found a reason to repeat the same word right after I've already said it. If insanity means anything it's the compulsive repetition of a single word in time.

Never in my life have I ever found a reason to repeat the same word right after I've already said it.

So I guess you've never said "wakey wakey", "hear, hear!", "fifty fifty" etc... :D

... quite aside from constructions such as "I said that that man would die" and "if he had had a better doctor, he would be alive today."

[Cue the record-setting sentences along the lines of: John, where Janet had had "had", had had "had had".]

Or if you've ever given instructions to someone painting a pub sign:

I want you to leave the same amount of space between The and Dog and Dog and and and and and Duck.

Mary,

Never in my life have I ever found a reason to repeat the same word right after I've already said it. If insanity means anything it's the compulsive repetition of a single word in time.

Dear Mr BS

Thank you for sharing your opinions. If you would kindly forward your address to:

stammarershardasfuck.com

I believe a representative, or possibly several of them at once, would like to visit you.

As for the rest of you re the 'Genius.....etc' if someone would put me right on the exact quote, I'll use it next time.

Never in my life have I ever found a reason to repeat the same word right...

Yes I have noticed that you never repeat any words right. But I wouldn't have thought it was anything to boast about.

Yes I have noticed that you never repeat any words. But I wouldn't have thought it was anything to boast about.

O Godot, you recognize even the most microscopic matters of a conversation. O it's ......... it's so f****n annoying cough I mean it's very noble of you to make such an effort. Here you go .......

ExtraCreditD22cR01aP13ZL.jpg

The Mothman Prophecies saw the movie ages ago but hadn't appreciated until I started to read it how good a book it is. Kinda relevant since the author may well make fleeting appearances - like Mothman - in a variety of DP teams next year. Assuming he lives another 12 days that is.

Just finished reading "Practical Demonkeeping" by Christopher Moore

Are you in a cult Phantom?

not in a cult, Christopher Moore writes fantasy spoofs.

Practical Demonkeeping is about a guy called Travis who summons a demon called Catch from hell who is invisible to all but Travis. Except when he eats people, then he triples in size. Also the demon's favourite movie is The Wizard of Oz.

Just read this myself Phantom, an excellent read, very funny.

Speaking of excellent and funny reads I've finally got some information on that legendary novel about West Cumbria and football. I know you were all beside yourselves with anticipation when I mentioned it ages ago. It was beginning to look like a complete hoax but the local paper ran a story on the book and author a couple of weeks back revealing it's called 'Workington Dynamo.' Sounded great as did the fact it was gonna be in Workington's top independent bookseller this week. Turns out to be delayed until May, or summat. But it's real, I think. I mean there was a picture of the cover in the paper and everything.

Currently reading "This Wheel's On Fire - The story of Levon Helm & The Band" pretty good insight into their beginnings, had no idea that they almost never got started as The Band as Rick Danko broke his back in a car crash and Levon was heavily into heroin.

Guest Cumbria, practically Scotland
Speaking of excellent and funny reads I've finally got some information on that legendary novel about West Cumbria and football. I know you were all beside yourselves with anticipation when I mentioned it ages ago. It was beginning to look like a complete hoax but the local paper ran a story on the book and author a couple of weeks back revealing it's called 'Workington Dynamo.' Sounded great as did the fact it was gonna be in Workington's top independent bookseller this week. Turns out to be delayed until May, or summat. But it's real, I think. I mean there was a picture of the cover in the paper and everything.

You'll probably get home from Waterstones; open the cover, to find that there's only blank pages inside and it was indeed a hoax. Probably make for a better read mind.

I read this, which made me laugh.

I didn't know Banshees was into journalism.

You'll probably get home from Waterstones; open the cover, to find that there's only blank pages inside and it was indeed a hoax. Probably make for a better read mind.

Are you calling John in the bookshop a liar? He's got one with words inside!!

Incidentally who are you when you're not posting as Guest?

Are you calling John in the bookshop a liar? He's got one with words inside!!

Incidentally who are you when you're not posting as Guest?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a retired member. I can't recall when he last logged in; isn't it amazing how time flies.

Eye Mind, The story of Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators.

How, by the simple tactic of getting the whole band to take acid every time they played, in fact, almost every day, you could go from trail-blazing, psychedelic hit-makers to living in a cave, incarceration, and 25 years of institutionalisation in various psychiatric hospitals.

Heart-breaking.

Workington Dynamo lives, or summat. Just finishing Margaret Attwood's 'Negotiating With The Dead.' The question is, should I wade into Workington Dynamo or order up Eye Mind. I read a couple of pages on the Elevators in The Observer a fortnight back and I'll confess to owning the first four albums, likely to give the 9CD set a miss this year, mind.

Apart from 'heartbreaking' is it well written and insightful ATJ?

The book is amazing, really well written and with most of the living protagonists suprisingly lucid in interviews, despite the ravages of LSD.

Without a doubt worth the tenner on Amazon, and I'll definitely be buying the CD box set, The only copies of the Elevators albums I have sound like dog-toffee, due to the slip-shod re-issues authorised by Kenny Rogers brother.

Apart from 'heartbreaking' is it well written and insightful ATJ?

How, by the simple tactic of getting the whole band to take acid every time they played,

How did he get that done?

That's all I'm going to say.

How, by the simple tactic of getting the whole band to take acid every time they played,

How did he get that done?

Banshees, have you ever seen The A-Team? Maybe he gave the band LSD in a glass of milk, like Hannibal did to B.A.Baracus. ;)

13th Floor Elevator bass giutar player: "I ain't going on stage tonight, sucker!"

Roky Erickson: "Ok, but here have this glass of milk"

et cetera

It's about persuasion. It's about convincing. It's about the rush. It's about ... getting everybody alive. It's just usually only one guy is considered the lunatic and everybody else just stares him down hoping he can finish what he has started. Sometimes he proves them wrong, sometimes he don't. Either way, he gets the applause. That's what it's all about. The reason music isn't what it was is because nobody is on the same page. Nobody practices anymore. Legends are no longer born, they only grow old. Unless you believe legends are made.

My perception of the future music is like a more creative techno (but not techno) almost modern classical but carrying influence from other genres. Little words, very creative. The focus of the music will be on minor subjects, not always heartbreak and poverty and the ghettos and all the other bullshit that continues with no end. The core of the music will be based on 'the emotion' you get from activities and personal experience on all levels. The music itself will be 'about nothing'. That's the only way I can explain it. That is the future.