Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

The Weatherman Death Pool

WDP I obviously has quite a bit of steam left. Here is strike 15.

The world's oldest person and world's oldest man, Emiliano Mercado Del Toro has died at the age of 115. Del Toro was unique in that he is the only validated world's oldest person to be a man out of the last 40 oldest people. The second oldest man under him was 4 years his junior, and had he survived for a few more months he would have been the oldest fully validated man ever in history. Three teams selected Del Toro, RMHED, Icelandic Hurricane, and Octopus of Odstock. Since Mr. Del Toro was rather old, all three teams receive only the minimum of six points. RMHED now surpasses Football Fan for 3rd place with 32 points. Canadian Paul still maintains the top spot.

66 days are now left in the pool.

I have some not-so-great news - you may or may not have already noticed that the WDP homepage is no longer accessable. The evil Wiki-mods have finally gotten to it, and it is now history. Fortunately - all information regarding scores was saved, and I am now assembling an alternate WDP Headquarters which is located Here. The Url is "http://weatherman90.googlepages.com" there is no "www'. So, change your favorites/notes accordingly. I knew this would happen eventually - but I was hoping it would happen after the end of the 1st pool. But do not fear, the new site will be up and running by the end of today.

Apologies for the confusion - registration for the WDP II will continue as normal on March 1, and the pool will take place at the new and improved headquarters. Remember - either PM your picks here, or email them to wdp0708@gmail.com.

Now some good news - the new headquarters is up and running as promised, located at http://weatherman90.googlepages.com/home. I'm pleased to say that its "sleek" new design even outmatches the previous.

Unfortunately, I still have to sort out the list of teams and their picks. It is unlikely that I will be able to re-assemble the list for everyone's team, because I only have the information from the teams that registered here on the PM's.

But do not fear, I still have the master list of all celebrities picked as well as the number of teams who selected him/her, so if a pick or two is yet to go this year, we will easily be able to sort out who the points belong to.

I will be able to completely reconstruct the scoreboard by using the "old news" page as well as this topic where I always posted who chose the celebrity and how many points were given.

All in all, there is no reason for alarm - the winner will still be "official", and not just a guess.

When visiting the new and improved headquarters, make sure to scroll to the bottom and check out the 07-08 rules page, as well as the 07-08 registration page.

Once again, registration for WDP II begins on March 1, 2007.

To make it easy, here's my team:

Art Buchwald

Ariel Sharon

Charles Haughey

Ross Davidson

John Tenta

Saad Al-Sabah

Gabriel García Márquez

Ann Richards

Windsor Davies (I mean, er... Tammy Faye Messner ;) )

Deborah Kerr

Do you know what, I never kept a list of my picks I know I was well off the pace. Jean of Luxembourg and Mepp Gies (or however you spell it) were just two inspired picks who generated no headlines, let alone health scares.

Can't see I was likely to storm up the lists in the final days. I'm working on next year.

Thanks for the help - I'm in contact with a Wikipedia admin who should be able to supply me with the entire page before it was deleted. That would be the ideal scenario. I will continue to give updates.

Just checked the new rules:

This year, "Theme Teams," or teams in which all the picks have something in common, are given an automatic bonus of three points if and when the team's first pick dies. Examples of such teams include "Picks are all from India", "Picks all suffer from stomach cancer", or "Picks all were orphans". There are endless possibilities, but I may deny your request if your team is too common, such as "Picks are all from the United States". Theme teams are just a fun way to perhaps edge out someone in the event of a tie with a few extra points.

So picks from India are acceptable but from the USA not. Erm...does India not have a far bigger population? ;)

This year, "Theme Teams," or teams in which all the picks have something in common, are given an automatic bonus of three points if and when the team's first pick dies. Examples of such teams include "Picks are all from India", "Picks all suffer from stomach cancer", or "Picks all were orphans". There are endless possibilities, but I may deny your request if your team is too common, such as "Picks are all from the United States". Theme teams are just a fun way to perhaps edge out someone in the event of a tie with a few extra points.

So picks from India are acceptable but from the USA not. Erm...does India not have a far bigger population? ;)

India:

- 2005 estimate 1,103,371,000

- 2001 census 1,027,015,248

United States:

- 2007 estimate 301,055,000

- 2000 census 281,421,906

India:

- 2005 estimate 1,103,371,000

- 2001 census 1,027,015,248

United States:

- 2007 estimate 301,055,000

- 2000 census 281,421,906

You're correct indeed, but remember, picks have to have an article on the English wikipedia. So very few indians have articles there.

Unfortunately, I still have to sort out the list of teams and their picks. It is unlikely that I will be able to re-assemble the list for everyone's team, because I only have the information from the teams that registered here on the PM's.

No problem w90. Luckily I posted the entire list of teams and their selections right here in this thread, shortly after the competition started, so you should be able to easily retrieve them without any difficulty.

Regards,

ff

No problem w90. Luckily I posted the entire list of teams and their selections right here in this thread, shortly after the competition started, so you should be able to easily retrieve them without any difficulty.

Regards,

ff

Thanks - fortunately a friendly wikipedian provided me with all the source code from the previous headquarters. Everything has now been copied over and the new HQ is fully updated.

There are still some minor tweaks - like brining in some images, straightening out the old news page, and getting rid of certain links. Other than that, WDP 06-07 is nearing its final days, and registration for 07-08 is a month or so away.

I still think that we will be able to get a couple more hits out of the current pool - coming close to my Sep 30 prediction of 17.

Strike 16 of the pool arrives on this last day of February in the form of elderly Charles Forte, 98, a hotelier. Forte was one of several old geezer unique picks by Cap'n Ohtz, and he is Cap'n's third hit of the year. The Cap'n is now in 6th place with 18 points. 1st and 2nd place still belong to Canadian Paul and Slave to the Grave respectively. It remains to be seen whether March will bring a hit that could change the winner.

Also, a reminder that registration for the 07-08 WDP is now OPEN! :):)

You may register using the PM system, or you may email your 10 to wdp0708@gmail.com. If you register via PM, I ask that you include an email so that I can send you updates that way since it is much faster.

Once again, the new location for the WDP is at http://weatherman90.googlepages.com

Happy registering and good luck in the next pool!

Quick question: You used to have a thing under the scoring system that said "Add 3 points for a suicide." It's gone on the new page, so does that mean it's gone for next year too?

I actually had forgotten to copy that over - thanks for bringing it up! Although suicides are highly unlikely with a smaller pool, I will still keep it on for next year.

On a side note:

I have so far received 6 entries in the upcoming pool. I am shooting for 35 this year so don't forget to register before the deadline :banghead:, which is March 31.

I actually had forgotten to copy that over - thanks for bringing it up! Although suicides are highly unlikely with a smaller pool, I will still keep it on for next year.

On a side note:

I have so far received 6 entries in the upcoming pool. I am shooting for 35 this year so don't forget to register before the deadline :banghead: , which is March 31.

That's ok - you'll get at least 15 at 11:00pm on 3/31 - probably mine included.

A quick update:

There are now less than five days before the end of the current pool, and the same amount of time in which to register your team. I have so far received 10 entries and would like about 35.

No deaths to report in the current pool as of late - Canadian Paul maintains the lead at 38 points, with Slave to the Grave still in a close second with 37. In addition, RMHED, Football Fan, and Obiskobilob have also done exceptionally well - exceeding 30 points each.

Yeah, me too, not that I'm as confident as the good doctor.

Mebbe the dearth of DP entries is a result of the plethora of pools elsewhere, Derby, Hartlepool, Isle of Man etc.

Mebbe the dearth of DP entries is a result of the plethora of pools elsewhere, Derby, Hartlepool, Isle of Man etc.

I'm hoping I've managed the most odd "Team Theme" of the lot too.

My theme is "The picks are all unique picks" ;);)

I've created my first ever team and it was bloody hard sticking to the theme I chose I tells you...

"Born in Belgium dead in 2007". Not knowing much about Belgian society until just over a year ago I feel I have come a long way - I can even name (and recognise) the prime minister.

Did I mention I saw the King of Belgium and the Duke of Luxembourg last week? - albeit from 5 or so metres away ;)

Yeah, but there's four days to go. Good luck hangin' on to the uniqueness of them picks Dr Hack.

Ill be having a go.....just working on the final list . Not sure of the benefits of a "themed" team though....only 3 extra points ????....My theme was to be "chess players"....I have 2 or 3 good picks...but 10 ?

I shall submit a boring list of the Usual Suspects...sorry ;)

Ill be having a go.....just working on the final list . Not sure of the benefits of a "themed" team though....only 3 extra points ????....My theme was to be "chess players"....I have 2 or 3 good picks...but 10 ?

I've pulled out all the stops and done a general team and a theme team.

Not expecting much from the theme team.

I've pulled out all the stops and done a general team and a theme team.

Not expecting much from the theme team.

can you do 2 teams ?

Cant be bothered to read the rules....and the second bottle of Merlot is stoping me from finding out....