Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

The Weatherman Death Pool

Thank you MPFC. And since I'm going to be leaving now, here's a pre-congratulations on your 2000th post! :)

Charles Taylor on the move? He's one of the unique picks on my WDP, I was kinda hoping this might happen. S'funny thing, that international court is a great idea for justice to be seen to be done but a few of the black-hearted psycho types who find themselves there suddenly suffer serious health problems or get suicidal. Don't let me down Charles!

After nearly a whole month of inactivity in the WDP, Football Fan's unique pick Rudi Carrell has decided to cark it at age 71. Carrell died last Friday, July 7, after a lung cancer battle that began in 2005. Football Fan chalks up seven points and slithers into third place with a total of 14 points, having already received 7 points from the death of popular pick Charles Haughey. The race is now getting tight because the current top five scores are now all consecutive numbers: starting with 5th place's 12 and First place's 16. For the WDP homepage and to see the current scoreboard, see Here.

Right Weatherman. Cheers for keeping the commentary fresh.

Mind, I'm kicking meself for a few I missed. I've got four unique picks in there Robert Pirsig, Miep Gies, Charles Taylor and Jean of Luxembourg. I have high hopes for my psychopathic young boy Charles, he'd net a few points if he went.

Just when I thought I had caught a break a while, I have another hit to report. Snooker player John Spencer gives us our second hit in just two days after his long battle with stomach cancer. Three players had selected Spencer, all of which already have had at least one hit this year: Football Fan, Obiskobilob, Slave to the Grave. Spencer marks the third strike for Slave to the Grave, and Football Fan, the first two players to achieve that many strikes this year. All 3 players receive 8 points, based on his age. This reworks the scoreboard once again: Slave to the Grave is now in first place with a strong 23 points, Football Fan is in a close second with 22 points, and Obiskobilob has now stolen 4th place with 15 points.

Will the streak continue...? ....Who will go next?

By the way, Football Fan had selected both John Spencer, and Rudi Carrell, giving him 2 hits in 2 days.

Gosh, first place. I don't suppose it will last with FF breathing down my neck.

Perhaps my last minute method of making picks involving bits of paper and a hat does work after all.

Bollocks! I thought I'd chosen Spencer in my WDP list. Ah, well, at least my DDP list is going a little better now.

Edited by football_fan

Gosh, first place. I don't suppose it will last with FF breathing down my neck.

Perhaps my last minute method of making picks involving bits of paper and a hat does work after all.

Worked for me for the past month! :rip: Perhaps the WDP is conducive to that sort of thing. :skill2:

I was particularly surprised I lasted that long on such random picks. The only pool that I really put a lot of thought into is my current RDP, and I'll starting taking the DDP more seriously come 2007.

I'm in a disgustingly optimistic mood today. :skill2:

I am beginning to fall into a comatose state after this complete lack of activity..... :)

My Slumber Ends! :P. Maria Esther de Capovilla, the world's oldest person, has died just weeks shy of the big 117. 2 people score 6 points for the death, only adding to bottom rungers to the scoreboard. Neither of the lucky winners are from here at the Deathlist.

My Slumber Ends! :P. Maria Esther de Capovilla, the world's oldest person, has died just weeks shy of the big 117. 2 people score 6 points for the death, only adding to bottom rungers to the scoreboard. Neither of the lucky winners are from here at the Deathlist.

RMHED, that be me, my first hit. My choices aren't exactly throwing themselves into their coffins.

You and me both Tempus, one dead former Irish PM is all I've got to show for a fairly conservative pick list with some conspiciously ill people amongst the team. I'm figuring on a law of probabilities terminal lung cancer and complex medical problems - a la Sharon - will deliver in the end.

I still haven't scored any points yet <_<

My Slumber Ends! :D. Maria Esther de Capovilla, the world's oldest person, has died just weeks shy of the big 117. 2 people score 6 points for the death, only adding to bottom rungers to the scoreboard. Neither of the lucky winners are from here at the Deathlist.

RMHED, that be me, my first hit. My choices aren't exactly throwing themselves into their coffins.

Yes, deepest apologies Tempus. :) I realized my error shortly after I made the post, but of course the internet had to fail me at that moment. Since I didn't get to send you a friendly message like I typically do, Congrats on your first success!! :)

And what saint from above finally changed the name of this topic? :D:D

I still haven't scored any points yet :)

At least you have Ross Davidson on your list, though. His "12-18 months" should be expiring any minute now.

And what saint from above finally changed the name of this topic? :):(

Aye, that'll be me then.

I still haven't scored any points yet :)

At least you have Ross Davidson on your list, though. His "12-18 months" should be expiring any minute now.

Ross Davidson seems to be doing fine at the moment, so much for someone who only had "months to live"

Ross Davidson longevity is another of those drawn out deaths that just takes the piss. I feel a coast to coast USA bike ride coming on, for charity of course.

Robert M. Pirsig another of my less than inspired picks this year. Thought him a good outside bet given his age and lack of activity. He's 86 today, oh joys.

Robert M. Pirsig another of my less than inspired picks this year. Thought him a good outside bet given his age and lack of activity. He's 86 today, oh joys.

Who knows what may happen in the few months left in 2006?

Anyway, happy birthday Mr Pirsig. He's one of the few writers whose work changed my outlook on life.

regards,

Hein

Just posting this for fun since the deadline for entries passed over 5 months ago for the WDP just to see if chosing the ten people (not chosen by any of the 19 official teams) at the top of my list might get a few unofficial points, even on a restricted time frame.

Fidel Castro

Freddy Fender

Dan Fogelberg

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Charlton Heston

Dr Jack Kevorkian

Evel Knievel

Jerry Lewis

Ron Santo

King Sihanouk

PS I've yet to factor into this list of ten names that would be most suitable to maximise the points/age groups - This I hope to do with an official honed entry in seven months time.

Just posting this for fun since the deadline for entries passed over 5 months ago for the WDP just to see if chosing the ten people (not chosen by any of the 19 official teams) at the top of my list might get a few unofficial points, even on a restricted time frame.

Fidel Castro

Freddy Fender

Dan Fogelberg

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Charlton Heston

Dr Jack Kevorkian

Evel Knievel

Jerry Lewis

Ron Santo

King Sihanouk

PS I've yet to factor into this list of ten names that would be most suitable to maximise the points/age groups - This I hope to do with an official honed entry in seven months time.

Those bastard chinese doctors cured Sihanouk so I think he may have a couple of years yet.

Although I did read that he is back in China for follow up tests...

Kevorkian appears alive and well, calling himself Alphonsin and posting here for the last week.

From what I can tell, the man only turned 78 just now. Where are you getting your source for his age? Wikipedia can always be wrong sometimes too.

Who knows what may happen in the few months left in 2006?

Anyway, happy birthday Mr Pirsig. He's one of the few writers whose work changed my outlook on life.

regards,

Hein

Re Pirsig's age; I'm getting it from a bad source obviously - an English lecturer in a local uni. A trawl round confirms that the world and his dog thinks he was born in 1928. In fact, I posted as much on a writers thread ages ago and was then convinced by talking to someone that Pirsig had lied about his age, taking almost a decade off it. He didn't.

Hein; the weird thing about Pirsig's writing is that I've ready ZMM three times and felt different each time roughly;

i - F**k, that blew me mind that did.

ii - Pretentious shite, no question.

iii - Hmm, not sure about his ideas but he can't half write, that stunt he pulls with the narrator's point of view would be a disaster in other hands.

Oddly, the last time I read ZMM was after I'd read 'Lila' where the conceit of the ideas is less and his skill as a novelist is much more apparant.

Go well