Sign in to follow this  
Banshees Scream

The Unwritten Rules...argue About Them Here

There isn't a law\system page in the main forum?

I couldn't find one but that doesn't mean it's not there, I'm quite conscious of forum rules at the moment as I had to write a set of them yesterday for scsi.

I have been tirelessly working to reduce your warn level from 40% to zero, but I fear your rehabilitation is not quite complete.

You will remain on 10% for "conduct unbecoming to a gentleman" :referee:

Dunno what this is all about but I know a split infinitive when I see one. Should that merit a warning?

Wow, clearly I don't understand. I'm not purposely being thick, but what is the deluge of crap exactly? And getting away with what? I don't want to be accidentally contributing to that deluge and p***ing everyone off.

For punishment - There are no written rules.

With rules there will be less bad behavier issues. Some people don't know how to act.

I have been tirelessly working to reduce your warn level from 40% to zero, but I fear your rehabilitation is not quite complete.

Dunno what this is all about but I know a split infinitive when I see one. Should that merit a warning?

If a split infinitive is good enough for Shatner, it's good enough for anyone. :)

You will remain on 10% for "conduct unbecoming to a gentleman" :)

I had 40% warning level. I was lowered on the charts.

Bou left 10% just because a goddess tends to be mischievous. :referee:

Wow, clearly I don't understand. I'm not purposely being thick, but what is the deluge of crap exactly? And getting away with what? I don't want to be accidentally contributing to that deluge and p***ing everyone off.

With rules there will be less bad behavier issues. Some people don't know how to act.

Ah right, got it I think. I guess I've just not seen that much bad behaviour on here. If people are pushing their luck with the unwritten rules then I'm all for written ones.

I had 40% warning level. I was lowered on the charts.

Bou left 10% just because a goddess tends to be mischievous. :referee:

Man you must have been a real bad ass. How can I up my percentage? I'm running on empty.

You will remain on 10% for "conduct unbecoming to a gentleman" :P

Yes, it should.

Enjoy your warning point :P

(Well you did say you wanted to up your percentage...)

I just presumed that the people who run this site can administer justice (or whatever) whenever & however they see fit. If it was badly done, people wouldn't use the site, and so those that do use it must kind of understand the unwritten rules to be able to enjoy using it.

I think.... :referee:

.....although if I got it right that means I just wrote down the unwritten rule, which can't be right. :)

Nobody should think for a minute that just because not much is yet being done against it, the management is happy with the deluge of crap which has recently engulfed the Deathlist.

Also, it is complete, utter and absolute nonsense to assume that if someone registers, they understand and are prepared to abide by the rules.

A lot of people definitely don't understand the unwritten rules, but are getting away with it for the time being.

But that may change soon.

Define UNWRITTEN.(not expressed in writing springs to mind)

So if you actually bothered to post them, there would be far less conflict.

I understand that being a mod is time consuming & thankless, but given the nature of the site,& the controversy that may entail,some CONSISTENT rules are needed .

If all else fails I will revert to Garyglittersbabysitting tips.com

Ah right, got it I think. I guess I've just not seen that much bad behaviour on here. If people are pushing their luck with the unwritten rules then I'm all for written ones.

Well first off i'm not insulted, I mean my behaviour isn't perfect but i'm not a bad guy.

I guess I have my moments of DL pranks but it's all in a good time.

My current project is - Annoying HCW because I don't trust him\her.

You will remain on 10% for "conduct unbecoming to a gentleman" :P

Yes, it should.

Enjoy your warning point :P

(Well you did say you wanted to up your percentage...)

Thanks Bou, I like being punished.

So if you actually bothered to post them, there would be far less conflict

I don't have that much power. The rules would have to be decided among the Admins.

I couldn't just post something tommorow and say that those are the rules.

Of course if I was approved to set the rules for the web sight everything would change for the better.

I don't know, maybe not.

Yes, it should.

Enjoy your warning point :)

Thanks Bou, I like being punished.

That can have 2 meanings..

That isn't a spilt infinitive Godot.

"Been tirelessly working" can't be a split infinitive, for the simple reason that it isn't an infinitive. It is a past tense of some sort.

"To tirelessly work" (or "to boldly go") would be a split infinitive, but according to Fowler, it's permissible if the alternative, "to work tirelessly" sounds too clumsy. Which it doesn't. So it isn't.

This is the true stuff of deathlist.net. Everything else is a deluge of crap. :referee:

That isn't a spilt infinitive Godot.

"Been tirelessly working" can't be a split infinitive, for the simple reason that it isn't an infinitive. It is a past tense of some sort.

"To tirelessly work" (or "to boldly go") would be a split infinitive, but according to Fowler, it's permissible if the alternative, "to work tirelessly" sounds too clumsy. Which it doesn't. So it isn't.

This is the true stuff of deathlist.net. Everything else is a deluge of crap. :referee:

I knew I'd bollocks up on that one. I felt 95 per cent sure of my ground and you barge in on the five per cent. OK, I'll fess up, I don't really know what an infinitive is but it seemed kinda split to me. So you need the "to" bit do you? You know I've gone pretty far in my job yet hardly know any of the rules of grammar, just write what sounds right. But now and again I try to get cocky about English and almost every time it backfires. I could never have been a sub.

Just say the word Mr. Notapotato and I'll produce yer wanted posters.

We'll get the crap bandits yet Mr. Sheriff. :)

So if you actually bothered to post them, there would be far less conflict

I don't have that much power. The rules would have to be decided among the Admins.

I couldn't just post something tommorow and say that those are the rules.

Of course if I was approved to set the rules for the websight everything would just be dandy . :referee:

Give you 30 days,set the rules.If its not dandy it will be a Beano for everyone.

No.the mods are too afraid of losing their LITTLE CLIQUE. :)

It's not rocket science - don't insult anyone with out any good reason and you will be fine. Do not send any threatening PM's and you will be fine. Try not to be too crude with your posting (scat sites for example :) ) and you will be fine.

Do not question the authority of the Grim Reaper and you will be fine.

Common sense if you ask me. I don't think formal rules would really make much of a difference.

Of course if I was approved to set the rules for the websight everything would just be dandy .
:D

I usually stay strict with Marlboro Red. I'm not into cheap deals really? Or are you

speaking about something else? O well in that case every now and then and even later.

smoke Winston their bettere for yoiu. tASTE BETTER TOO.

I usually stay strict with Marlboro Red. I'm not into cheap deals really? Or are you

speaking about something else? O well in that case every now and then and even later.

smoke Winston their bettere for yoiu. tASTE BETTER TOO.

That is an opinion .. they all kill.

It's not rocket science - don't insult anyone with out any good reason and you will be fine. Do not send any threatening PM's and you will be fine.

Windsor are you trying to be sarcastic or are you just speaking in general?

It's not rocket science - don't insult anyone with out any good reason and you will be fine. Do not send any threatening PM's and you will be fine.

Windsor are you trying to be sarcastic or are you just speaking in general?

I took Windsor's post at face value.

It isn't Rocket Surgery, is it?

DL etiquette is pretty clear.

I thought it was pretty clear too, but when I mentioned earlier in the thread that if people were able to use the site properly without written rules then they probably understood the unwritten ones, I got a reply suggesting my point of view was nonsense and DL desperately needed rules, hence my more careful questions afterwards.

I also agree with Windsor on this one, hope my point of view hasn't come across too confusingly. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just don't seem to be very good at this forum type communicating. Maybe I should go back to being an interested observer of the site, rather than a contributor?

I thought it was pretty clear too, but when I mentioned earlier in the thread that if people were able to use the site properly without written rules then they probably understood the unwritten ones, I got a reply suggesting my point of view was nonsense and DL desperately needed rules, hence my more careful questions afterwards.

I also agree with Windsor on this one, hope my point of view hasn't come across too confusingly. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just don't seem to be very good at this forum type communicating. Maybe I should go back to being an interested observer of the site, rather than a contributor?

You carry on contributing TLC, you're doing just fine :D