Guest Paul Acworth

Reg Varney -On The Buses & Jack Smethurst Love Thy

Nina Baden-Semper hasn't exactly been taking it easy. She married a vicar and - I think - had a couple of kids and she kept her hand in acting. IMDB page.

Hello all,

I am new here, Before you flush my head down the toilet does anyone know about Reg Varney, he must be 109 by now

Cheers

Alfie

Edited by football_fan

Struggling to understand yer post, why would we flush your head?

What's it all about, Alfie?

Struggling to understand yer post, why would we flush your head?

What's it all about, Alfie?

I thought thats what they did to new kids around here, Incidentally Jack Smethurst lives near me in Chorleywood (Herts) and I often see him picking up his Grandchildren from the local Primary school.

He looks quite good for 74.

( last sighting on Casualty in 2005)

I was driving round the internet in my virtual red London Bus, and found this:

Hop on the Bus

Quote: "On the Buses is British comedy at its best delivering laughter from beginning to end!"

That'll go like hotcakes, I'm sure!

delivering laughter from beginning to end!"

Get me Trading Standards on the phone, now!

I was driving round the internet in my virtual red London Bus, and found this:

Hop on the Bus

Quote: "On the Buses is British comedy at its best delivering laughter from beginning to end!"

That'll go like hotcakes, I'm sure!

Extra hot ones I'd say when you see the marketing muscle being flexed with this Canadian only release. <_<
VEI, the Canadian company that brought us Hardcastle & McCormick and is releasing Riptide, has announced they'll release all seven seasons of On the Buses in an ultimate collection. All 74 episodes will be on this 11 disc set...
Surely there's some sort of safety limit as to how much comedy is allowed in 1 package, I think this is too much for anyone to handle! Maybe that's why the release is Canadian only, EU laws probably prevent that much mirth being in one container unless sold in conjunction with a corset.

I think it's the same law that prevents the dinnerladies from having any comedy content whatsoever, so I can't complain. :lol:

The set will sell for $99.99...
This could be the right moment to point out that pricing something up at $99.99 doesn't mean it will ever sell for that price. :lol:

Similar to your 'I'll get my coat posts' they are exaggerated to an extent where it isn't funny anymore.

Banshees, how many episodes of 'On the Buses' have they shown in the US? How many minutes of viewing did you survive if you saw one?

Similar to your 'I'll get my coat posts' they are exaggerated to an extent where it isn't funny anymore.

Nothing exaggerated about calling Trading Standards, although personally I'd call Dignitas if I was forced to watch too much of the chirpy bus-based tomfoolery.

Thanks TLC, I thought Trading Standards was - if anything - an understatement.

Oddly, I'm quite enjoying Jane Hall - last episode tonight on ITV - so bus based tomfoolery, albeit with some serious dramatic pretensions, can be made to work.

The Radio Times has this week printed a list of the 50 worst British television shows. Reg and Co. don't even feature, though Love thy Neighbour stands proud at No.7! I suspect Robin Askwith in "Bottle Boys" has been extinguished from most people's memories, hence its non-appearance. And what about that cheeky chappie Mr. J Davidson?

Anyway, here it is (queue the Fluff Freeman music):

1 Naked Jungle (2000)

2 Minipops (1983)

3 Triangle (1981-1983)

4 Quickfire Balls (2006)

5 Annie's Bar (1996)

6 Wright Here, Wright Now (2002)

7 Love Thy Neighbour (1972-1976)

8 Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends (1984-1991)

9 Through The Keyhole (1983-)

10 A Year In Provence (1993)

11 Heil Honey I'm Home! (1990)

12 The Black and White Minstrel Show (1958-1978)

13 The Borgias (1981)

14 The Good Old Days (1953-1983)

15 Breakfast Time (1983-1989)

16 Thompson (1988)

17 OTT (1982)

18 George and Mildred (1976-1979)

19 Dream Team (1997-2006)

20 Ross Kemp: Alive In Alaska (1999)

21 Kirsty's Home Videos (2000-2004)

22 Clive Anderson All Talk (1996-1999)

23 Celeb (2002)

24 Diana: Her True Story (1993)

25 Eurovision Song Contest (1956-)

26 Celebrity Wrestling (2005)

27 Babes In The Wood (1998)

28 The Edinburgh Military Tattoo (1952-)

29 The Girlie Show (1996)

30 That's Life! (1973-1994)

31 Family Fortunes (1980-2002)

32 Littlejohn: Live and Unleashed (1998)

33 Lock, Stock... (2000)

34 French and Saunders (1987-2004)

35 Alastair Burnet's Royal Interviews (1980s)

36 Eldorado (1992-1993)

37 LA Pool Party (2001-2002)

38 Heartbeat (1992-now)

39 Going For Gold (1987-1996)

40 3-2-1 (1978-1987)

41 Origami (1968)

42 The Gaby Roslin Show (1996)

43 Clive James' Postcard from... (1990-1999)

44 Davina (2006)

45 Kilroy (1987-2004)

46 Wacaday (1985-1992)

47 Fort Boyard (1998-2002)

48 Popstars: The Rivals (2002)

49 Flog It! (2002-)

50 Crossroads

The Radio Times has this week printed a list of the 50 worst British television shows. Reg and Co. don't even feature, though Love thy Neighbour stands proud at No.7! I suspect Robin Askwith in "Bottle Boys" has been extinguished from most people's memories, hence its non-appearance. And what about that cheeky chappie Mr. J Davidson?
I suggest his vote was split between 'Up The Elephant & Round The Castle', 'Home James', 'Big Break', and 'The Generation Game' thus taking him out of the top 50. In my world that'd still be enough votes to put him in positions 1-4.

Presumably you couldn't vote for his cheeky adult 'Sinderella' pantomime, his hilarious 1976 New Faces appearances (which he won!) or for any of his stand up appearances including the classic 'Nick Nick' catchphrase or his hilarious (and entirely non-racist) 'Chalkie' impersonations.

And where the f*ck is Russ Abbott and his famed Madhouse? Not only was it a steaming pile of ordure but it spawned the equally badly-named 'Laughter Show' starring(!) Les Dennis & Dustin Gee (before he died, presumably of embarrassment) which consisted of Les Dennis doing a Mavis from Coronation Street impression ('I don't really know!') for the whole show, except when Dustin was still alive when he spent half the show doing Vera Duckworth impressions. Christ! Christing Christ at that.

At least I've forgotten most of Bottle Boys although I do remember it was terrible. And 'Mind Your Language'.

Phew!

Feel better now. As you were.

Amazing how this revision of the past goes on though. The Black and White Minstrel Show ran for 20 years and Love Thy Neighbour was regularly up there with Corrie in the ratings. I'll bet loads of people involved in voting or commenting on this list are old enough to have laughed at Love Thy Neighbour.

Not aware that any of the four main actors in that are facing death in 2006, mind.

Amazing how this revision of the past goes on though. The Black and White Minstrel Show ran for 20 years and Love Thy Neighbour was regularly up there with Corrie in the ratings. I'll bet loads of people involved in voting or commenting on this list are old enough to have laughed at Love Thy Neighbour.

Not aware that any of the four main actors in that are facing death in 2006, mind.

You have a valid point, Mary. Love Thy Neighbour at the time was a fair reflection on how society thought at the time, but it seems now that everyone thinks it is the politically correct thing to do to frown on its mere existence.

About six months ago I bizarrely found the first two episodes on DVD down at my local Co-Op and bought them to educate my son about how times have changed. If anything I'd say that the show simply highlighted racism (much the same way as Johnny Speight did with Garnett) and took the piss out of it as against glorifying it or promoting it. Jack Smethurt's character is awkward to look at and identify with now, but many of our dads and grandads were exactly like that- whether they admit it now or not. Some are still like that, but that's another issue.

Yeah, Mary, this revision of the past is a strange monster indeed. I note with shaking head that they're painting out cigarettes in Hanna-Barbera cartoons like The Jetsons, Flintstones and Tom and Jerry now- you seen that story?

Anyway, here it is (queue the Fluff Freeman music):

1 Naked Jungle (2000)

2 Minipops (1983)

3 Triangle (1981-1983)

4 Quickfire Balls (2006)

5 Annie's Bar (1996)

6 Wright Here, Wright Now (2002)

7 Love Thy Neighbour (1972-1976)

8 Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends (1984-1991)

9 Through The Keyhole (1983-)

10 A Year In Provence (1993)

11 Heil Honey I'm Home! (1990)

12 The Black and White Minstrel Show (1958-1978)

13 The Borgias (1981)

14 The Good Old Days (1953-1983)

15 Breakfast Time (1983-1989)

16 Thompson (1988)

17 OTT (1982)

18 George and Mildred (1976-1979)

19 Dream Team (1997-2006)

20 Ross Kemp: Alive In Alaska (1999)

21 Kirsty's Home Videos (2000-2004)

22 Clive Anderson All Talk (1996-1999)

23 Celeb (2002)

24 Diana: Her True Story (1993)

25 Eurovision Song Contest (1956-)

26 Celebrity Wrestling (2005)

27 Babes In The Wood (1998)

28 The Edinburgh Military Tattoo (1952-)

29 The Girlie Show (1996)

30 That's Life! (1973-1994)

31 Family Fortunes (1980-2002)

32 Littlejohn: Live and Unleashed (1998)

33 Lock, Stock... (2000)

34 French and Saunders (1987-2004)

35 Alastair Burnet's Royal Interviews (1980s)

36 Eldorado (1992-1993)

37 LA Pool Party (2001-2002)

38 Heartbeat (1992-now)

39 Going For Gold (1987-1996)

40 3-2-1 (1978-1987)

41 Origami (1968)

42 The Gaby Roslin Show (1996)

43 Clive James' Postcard from... (1990-1999)

44 Davina (2006)

45 Kilroy (1987-2004)

46 Wacaday (1985-1992)

47 Fort Boyard (1998-2002)

48 Popstars: The Rivals (2002)

49 Flog It! (2002-)

50 Crossroads

I remember The Bottle Boys, it always seemed to be on after I came home from Morris Dancing competitions (I kid you not).

How was this list compiled? Was it voted for byt the public? And ho come none of Carla Lane's stuff is in the list?

There's not a lot to argue with in that list. Difficult to think of all the foul shows that have been excluded.

However, I thought the worst of the sitcoms to be 'My Good Woman' with Leslie Crowther and Sylvia Sims. 'Darling', 'Yes Darling', 'Where's my shirt darling?' (Continue in this vein for 22 minutes while audience wet selves with laughter).

This brings to me to another consideration: the worst lifetime's body of work. Leslie Crowther managed the above plus the Ovaltineys, Crackerjack (with the blameless Peter Glaze), the Black and White Minstrel Show, Stars in Their Eyes, the Stork SB commercials and The Price is Right. Little wonder that I resorted to sawing through his brake pipes.

Is there a worse career oeuvre than that?

Minipops!

That was bloody brilliant, but very very wrong.

I went out with the (now grown) boy who did Elvis and Shakin Stevens (so he told me) a few years ago. He looked like a better built Darius Danesh then, but unless he's off the vodka and gak, I suspect he resembles Pete Doherty these days.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not the f****n Minipops! That was one creepy f****n show, Lady Die's new avatar brought back memories of it and now here it is again. Why wont it just stay dead!!! :D:):P

I note with shaking head that they're painting out cigarettes in Hanna-Barbera cartoons like The Jetsons, Flintstones and Tom and Jerry now- you seen that story?

Yep, and the one about Photoshopping the Abbey Road cover to lose Paul McCartney's cigarette.

There's not a lot to argue with in that list. Difficult to think of all the foul shows that have been excluded.

However, I thought the worst of the sitcoms to be 'My Good Woman' with Leslie Crowther and Sylvia Sims. 'Darling', 'Yes Darling', 'Where's my shirt darling?' (Continue in this vein for 22 minutes while audience wet selves with laughter).

This brings to me to another consideration: the worst lifetime's body of work. Leslie Crowther managed the above plus the Ovaltineys, Crackerjack (with the blameless Peter Glaze), the Black and White Minstrel Show, Stars in Their Eyes, the Stork SB commercials and The Price is Right. Little wonder that I resorted to sawing through his brake pipes.

Is there a worse career oeuvre than that?

Interesting points, Pooka (and you may note that my avatar has become less swinging). However, I have to agree with TLC about Mind Your Language- a programme so indefensibly poor that it made Love Thy Neighbour seem like an advertisement for the Race Relations Board. Likewise the execrable Mixed Blessings, a self-styled comedy about mixed-race relationships that only a dedicated coprophile could enjoy.

As for the worst oeuvre, may I make mention of Peter Bowles? Too late, I already have. Some of the programmes he starred in may not themselves been so terrible, but think back to the roles he played in them...To the Manor Born, Lytton's Diary, The Irish RM, Only When I Laugh, Executive Stress, The Bounder and Perfect Scoundrels. Every single 'character' was a minor variation on the theme 'oily piece of sh*t'.

Nurse, the screens!!

Wow, I 've opened a veritable can of worms here! Apparently the list has been compiled by RT writer and "TV expert" John Naughton rather than voted for.

Minipops!

That was bloody brilliant, but very very wrong.

I went out with the (now grown) boy who did Elvis and Shakin Stevens (so he told me) a few years ago. He looked like a better built Darius Danesh then, but unless he's off the vodka and gak, I suspect he resembles Pete Doherty these days.

No matter how hard I try I just can't wrestle down what sounds so wrong with this post.

Bou bothering alcoholic junkie Minipops, Bou favouring quiffy types as boyfriends or the fact that said quiffy types looked like steroid taking Pop Idol rejects.

Perhaps a poll is the answer?

biggrin.png